Starting doing a 20 minutes of pull ups before my workout.

Discussion in 'Bodyweight' started by JW513, Mar 15, 2019.

1. JW513

JW513 Double-Digit Post Count

I've been doing pull ups for 6 years now. I can only do 5 on a good day... I got up to 6 or 7 a few years ago but then got elbow tendonitis and THEN badly sprained my thumb. So I laid off them for awhile. A couple years ago, I started doing them but just sets anyone from 2-5 reps... I have a hard time with them even though I love them. Now 2 weeks ago, I started making it a point to do pull ups/chins in any rep scheme for 20 mins, plus bodyweight squats... (before I move on to my main workout). Its been great, but I'm taking it slow because i'm afraid of tennis elbow.

Boy, am I sore though, its like when I FIRST started exercising. I'm planning on enlisting in the Marines (gotta do it soon as i'm almost 26).. Would have done it when I was younger but a sick mother and family company has a way of changing plans.

pet' likes this.
  2. pet'

pet' More than 5000 posts

Hello,

Here is what comes to my mind: Maybe you can do them with an assistance, for example a rubber band. That way, you can build more volume, some being progressively stronger with a reduced risk of injury. Once you get comfortable, you can choose a thiner rubber band to end up with regular pull up.

Safety first, slow and steady wins the race !

Kind regards,

Pet'

3. Chrisdavisjr

Chrisdavisjr Quadruple-Digit Post Count

@JW513 What kind of apparatus are you using for your pull ups? I would suggest investing in a pair of gymnastic rings if you can; they'll allow you to train your pull-ups hard while being easier on your shoulders and elbows. Anything that allows you to take a neutral grip (palms parallel) would also be generally less tough on your joints.

Make sure you stop your sets as soon as you're not 100% confident you can make the next rep ('save it for the next set') and, above all, keep at it!

Did you have a particular goal in mind with your pull-ups? Does the marines physical fitness test have a pull-up requirement?

J Petersen, JW513 and offwidth like this.
  4. offwidth

offwidth More than 5000 posts

@JW513

For happy pull-up elbows...
    • Rings for sure
    • Expand your hand bands
    • Wrist Pronators
    • Experiment with GTG style
    • Experiment with fewer reps, but do them weighted.

damogari and J Petersen like this.
  5. JW513

JW513 Double-Digit Post Count

I use both the rings and a doorway pull up bar. I mix it up a lot. Yes they have pull up requirements..

I've always been one to slowly add reps.. Gotta strengthen the tendons and ligaments as well as the muscles.

6. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Dir. of Community Engagement Senior Instructor

@JW513,

A video of you performing pullups would be helpful.

Taking our bodyweight course or instructor certification would undoubtedly also be helpful to you.

-S-