all posts post new thread

Barbell Starting out lighter?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Many, many, many moons ago I already attained my 500/400/300/200 goals.

But, since I’m a martial artist first and foremost and a trail runner a distant second, strength training is basically GPP for me.

I’ve spent more than a decade following a myriad of PttP/ES/5x5x5/DDD programs. So far, so good.

My strength goal is not lifting a significant amount of weight anymore, but being able to lift a semi-decent amount of weight quite easily for a fair amount of beautiful, perfect reps.

As long as I can move between 125% and 150% of my bodyweight front squatting, snatch grip RDLing, incline pressing, incline rowing, and doing both dips and pull ups I’m way more than satisfied.

I try to follow a Maffetonesque approach to lifting, which, coincidentally, seems to align with both Dan’s and Pavel’s works.

There is nothing wrong with chasing maximal strength. Been there, done that.

But now I’m way more interested in making a 130 kg. front squat so, so, so easy that I won’t need to use a Valsalva or even warm up.

Notice I didn’t say I won’t do it, because I will probably end up doing both things, but not because I have to (if you know what I mean).

I’m fully aware I’m an odd duck, so that’s why I don’t recommend my approach to anyone.

Fair enough! If you've been to 500/400/300/200, you know how to train for strength, and sounds like you're maintaining at a high level. I like your description of your approach and it sounds wise in your case. I just wouldn't want someone to think there was some virtue or necessity in doing that from the beginning, because they would be holding themselves back too much and missing out on both he lessons and the results of pushing harder!

Fair enough! If you've been to 500/400/300/200, you know how to train for strength, and sounds like you're maintaining at a high level. I like your description of your approach and it sounds wise in your case. I just wouldn't want someone to think there was some virtue or necessity in doing that from the beginning, because they would be holding themselves back too much and missing out on both he lessons and the results of pushing harder!

tenor.gif

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom