all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Starting "Six Weeks to Strong"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lone Shepherd

First Post
I'm prepping for the SFG Level I cert in Toronto this November. My weak areas are pressing strength and conditioning for the snatch test.

I feel like I'm mostly ready for the snatch test (last time I tried it I was at 5:30 or so) but I'm definitely not "comfortable" pressing 24 kg for multiple sets of 5 on both sides. The 24 kg is about my 5RM.

I had hoped to have made more pressing progress by now, but I sprained my AC joint in early June, and recovery has been very slow. It's still tweaky, but I'm finally at the point where pressing doesn't seem to bother it too much. So I have just enough time to do 6 weeks of this program with a bit of a de-load before the cert -- I'm doing this with 2x20 kg bells.

One question about the program -- would it be okay to work in 2-3 swing/snatch workouts per week? Many strength-focused programs limit conditioning work, but right now I can't afford to lose any ground on the conditioning front ;)

A couple of thoughts for you.

Single presses are more shoulder friendly than doubles because they let you find the most comfortable groover in a way you can't with doubles. I'm not sure, if you're still not 100% recovered from a shoulder issue, that I'd be starting a doubles program right now.

Can you put off your SFG-I until you're more completely healed and have time to train back up to the level you want to be at?

-S-

Hi Steve,

thanks for the response. I considered it, but unfortunately it's not practical for me to put off the SFG-I. I'm also very much looking forward to it, and I'm sure I'll get a ton out of it. Even if I'm not 100% where I want to be, pressing wise, I'm eager to learn and apply.

I'm almost through 2 weeks of this program, and the pressing seems fine on my shoulder. I've incorporated some swing sessions and it seems to be okay, I guess we'll see how it goes ;)

Another important consideration is that you really have to prepare yourself for 3 days of lots and lots of work.
If you are worried about your conditioning, that is certainly something you need to account for. I would also say that you will be spending a lot of time over head already. If you're worried about your snatches you may end up doing 5 days a week of work overhead. Giving your shoulder situation, that might leave you even more "tweaky".
Having done the first seven weeks of 6 weeks to strong, I would say that you may be putting yourself between a rock and a hard place if you are worried about your conditioning and only have a few weeks to ramp it up following the 6 weeks to strong.
Not much real advice there, but I hope those considerations are helpful in your planning.

Additionally, should you choose to continue the 6 weeks to strong, you may be able to use heavy (32 kg) 1 hand swings and lighter snatches (16-20 kg) at higher volume (and/or density) to continue to progress toward your snatch test goal. See Brett Jones' SFG prep program Tuesday and Wednesday sessions for insight there.

Either way, stay safe and good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom