all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Starting to Really Like the Jerk

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I've done barbell squat jerks (albeit never very well) but never really got into KB jerks. Recently I've incorporated more GS into my training and doing more jerks (by themselves and longcycle). I think I've never taken to them before because I hadn't been doing them for longer sets. Multi-minute sets have really helped me with some things. I've gotten better at becoming more hip dominant and the rack position feels much easier than ever before. On top of that, I'm enjoying the improvement in full body stamina that I feel like I haven't quite experienced the same way before.

I've done barbell squat jerks (albeit never very well) but never really got into KB jerks. Recently I've incorporated more GS into my training and doing more jerks (by themselves and longcycle). I think I've never taken to them before because I hadn't been doing them for longer sets. Multi-minute sets have really helped me with some things. I've gotten better at becoming more hip dominant and the rack position feels much easier than ever before. On top of that, I'm enjoying the improvement in full body stamina that I feel like I haven't quite experienced the same way before.
LOL!! From the title I was trying to guess which gruff personality in the strength and conditioning world you were discussing...

Are you doing one or two handed primarily?

I work the one handed jerk into my workout, usually to a front squat, so rep count not very high. Its a great movement.

Lately I've been doing more push press, finessing it just enough to get the bell up when I run out of gas on straight press.

The aspect I like best about GS pressing is having my elbow more in front brings more muscle groups into the press - takes a little emphasis off the delts but that's OK. I have all but stopped doing pec specific exercises and my upper pecs still getting a good workout.

I tapered off many chest dominant exercises as I got further into my 40s (now 49) to shrink those muscles a bit- my pecs started looking not so good once the pump wears off, and it wears off mighty fast now...

Recently I've incorporated more GS into my training and doing more jerks (by themselves and longcycle).
Same here only last couple weeks fully into GS training cycle doing snatches and long cycle 3 days/week. Feeling surprisingly rapid increases in strength and endurance and, blasphemy I know but esp compared to what I experiences during about 1 1/2 years of doing S&S only. I think my body just prefers lower intensity/a bit longer time sessions then maxing out the weight as I was w/ S&S. It could be I am in a "picking the low hanging fruit" phase since have not ever done this sort of thing before but whatever it it, I'll take it! Heck, I am even sleeping better at night not to mention clearly burning quite a few more calories...

When did we meet ? Seriously though I have limited experience of this movement but found it to be fun and challenging

This article mostly covers The Split Jerk, but the same principles apply to the Push Jerk/Power Jerk/Squat Jerk(which ever name you prefer) and can be applied to hardstyle kettlebell push press and jerk.
http://www.mikesgym.org/newsletter/issues/july061.pdf

There is an article by Mike Bergner about how to use kettlebells for Olympic Weightlifting, but I could not find it. The Eastern European countries had used the T Handle to win many championships.

Chinese 77kg Weightlifter LU Xiaojun the best ever at the Push Jerk. The Split Jerk is not for everyone. His technique is absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
I like double best but I only have one 32kg so when I'm working with the heavier one I have to alternate sides.

@Geoff Chafe how long between attempts at a typical meet? How long did he have between snatching 174 and C&j 207?

@Bro Mo At a large meet between Snatch and C&J there could be 1-3hrs between lifts. Even at smaller meets could be that long because they are running different weight classes, and divisions at the same time.

How long between attempts depends on many factors:
How many lifters
How can they/you called
Did they/you make their attempts
Did they/you change the call
How fast is bar getting reset

That's why a coach who really knows you, and you knowing and being honest with yourself is very important. How you call your weights, time your nutrition, general warmup, specific warmup, and warmup attempts is critical. The real competition between lifters happens behind the platform. On the platform you are competing with fear, and self doubt. Strategy is key, but you have to be adaptable because you have to change the plan on the fly.

@Geoff Chafe, I just watched the Chinese lifter video - he doesn't finish either lift with locked out hips and knees - I know nothing about Olympic lifting, but isn't this required?

-S-

For a good lift the weight must remain motionless, standing erect, arms and knees extended, and feet parallel to platform. The rules do not state locked. Hips and knees being fully locked is a preference, and anatomy thing. He is technically standing erect. Some can support more weight on muscle tension

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom