all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Starting weight vs reps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

keepitsimple

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,
First post as I am just starting my journey. I am 45, male, 75kgs, 175cm and been training in the gym, running, cycling etc for some time. Swings are fine but I am finding the 16kg kettlebell too heavy to complete 5 get ups. I can get to either 2 reps or 3 before my form is compromised. My question, is it better to continue with the 16kg until I can get to 5 or do 5 reps with, for example a 12kg and then move up?

Thanks all!

Welcome, @keepitsimple !

Are you doing the S&S program, or some other program? Or just practicing get-ups?
(Edit: I now see the post is under "S&S FAQs, so I assume you are doing S&S).

I would say do your 2 or 3 reps that feel solid with the 16kg. If you want to do a total of 5, drop to the 12kg for the rest... Or use a shoe balanced on your hand -- you will probably get more solid technique "gains" out of shoe get-ups than strength with 12kg get-ups. The S&S book explains how to do a shoe get-up.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks @Anna C and for the reply.

I have just bought the book S&S and have started with double handed swings (5 x10) and get-ups. Swings have been part of my pre-deadlift routine so am quite happy with double handed ones at least but boy oh boy the TGU is a different animal!

I will stick with the 16kg and plenty of 'shoe' practice.

Thanks again

Sounds good!

Also as @Matts pointed out on another thread this week, the text in the book that many people miss on page 49: practice swings and get-ups after the warm-up (goblet squats, halos, and hip bridges) for 30 minutes every day... then progress to the Program Minimum when the swings and get-ups are competent.

Another thing you might find helpful as you get started, I made this video a while back. This would be an example of the whole daily program to the time goals. In daily practice, you would be giving yourself plenty more rest than this between sets of swings and between get-ups.

I started with a 12kg because I have some rotator cuff issues and wanted to make sure my form was solid before moving on with the 16kg. Once I felt confident in my form the 16kg wasn't any problem. I did a boatload of naked getups with a shoe before I ever tried it loaded and I think that's an important step that often gets overlooked especially with impatient newbies.

Even now I look at every workout as a practice session and I'm constantly finding little minute adjustments that give me more stability. I ordered a Rogue 24kg that should be here tomorrow and I plan to "very slowly" work it into my S&S sessions. Anna's videos have helped me a lot too. Especially the "slow mo" versions.

@keepitsimple, welcome to the forum! While I am new to this kettlebell thing, I would recommend taking your time. Build your foundation with the 12 kg kettlebell, stick with it until you can easily do 5 sets, (5 with each arm), with good form, in 10 minutes or less. This is known as the Simple standard. Once you can meet this requirement for get ups, then move up in weight to the 16 kg kettlebell, slowly. The heavier kettlebells will still be there, waiting for you to be ready for them.

Hi,
First post as I am just starting my journey. I am 45, male, 75kgs, 175cm and been training in the gym, running, cycling etc for some time. Swings are fine but I am finding the 16kg kettlebell too heavy to complete 5 get ups. I can get to either 2 reps or 3 before my form is compromised. My question, is it better to continue with the 16kg until I can get to 5 or do 5 reps with, for example a 12kg and then move up?

Thanks all!

Or use a shoe balanced on your hand -- you will probably get more solid technique "gains" out of shoe get-ups than strength with 12kg get-ups. The S&S book explains how to do a shoe get-up.
+1 on the shoe get-ups.

I still do them. They are a powerful learning tool.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom