all posts post new thread

Staying the Course -- Adam Mundorf

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
We’re you using S&S work w a light bell as a deload before transitioning to RoP with 20kg?

You asked questions about S&S progressions in another forum. Decided against it?

We’re you using S&S work w a light bell as a deload before transitioning to RoP with 20kg?

You asked questions about S&S progressions in another forum. Decided against it?
I wasn't using S&S as a deload but was my main program before I began working a full time job again.

I just have a stack of fitness books I read while watching YouTube and was reading S&S revised when that question popped into my head. I just wanted some clarification. I do find S&S very attractive because the program minimum from EtK was my introduction to exercise and it's nostalgic. I just can't seem to stick with it.

My goals here are to go RoP -> RotK Grind Blocks and keep on cycling back and forth moving up the weight.

I just can't seem to stick with it.
Why not? Get bored or you feel like you're missing a piece of development only doing S&S?

You manage a restaurant (IIRC) so you spend a ton of time on your feet right? At 24 kg, the heavy day 5 ladders with 5 rungs was a killer for me and took forever. S&S stores and builds energy. Just something to think about as you monitor your recovery.

If you start to feel sleepless and lethargic, you might cycle in something more restorative like S&S or at least take a Deload and then return to RoP. Course you might also be young enough to get away with it too. ;)

Why not? Get bored or you feel like you're missing a piece of development only doing S&S?

You manage a restaurant (IIRC) so you spend a ton of time on your feet right? At 24 kg, the heavy day 5 ladders with 5 rungs was a killer for me and took forever. S&S stores and builds energy. Just something to think about as you monitor your recovery.

If you start to feel sleepless and lethargic, you might cycle in something more restorative like S&S or at least take a Deload and then return to RoP. Course you might also be young enough to get away with it too. ;)
I'm just bad at general in sticking with things. Surprising though this is the longest I've gone in a while sticking to a plan. With the kitchen manager job, I really only have a total of three days off over 9 or so days. I keep on thinking that S&S wouldn't be enough stimulation for non daily training.

I agree about the RoP days. They can really take allot out of you, near the end of the program.

I'm definitely considering circling back to the program minimum at some point. Something about achieving the simple standard keeps on calling me back.

I'm just bad at general in sticking with things. Surprising though this is the longest I've gone in a while sticking to a plan. With the kitchen manager job, I really only have a total of three days off over 9 or so days. I keep on thinking that S&S wouldn't be enough stimulation for non daily training.

I agree about the RoP days. They can really take allot out of you, near the end of the program.

I'm definitely considering circling back to the program minimum at some point. Something about achieving the simple standard keeps on calling me back.
  1. What attributes are you trying to develop?
  2. Monitor your recovery with the 20 kg bell doing RoP. If you start getting sleepless or your nerves feel jazzed all the time, start losing strength, become irritable, angry and just don’t feel like yourself, you’re probably under recovered and need to deload. If you deload for a week, get back to RoP and start to slump again, then consider moving to something like S&S.
  3. If you swing back around to S&S, remember that there are more ways to cook it. Let’s say you’ve only got 15 min before work, here are some options
    1. Get a round of goblet squats in, 5x10 swings, 2x1/1 GUs and your stretches in
    2. Decouple the GUs and Swings in A/B format. Day A 10x10 swings, Day B 5x1/1 GUs and get some goblets in before and stretches after.
    3. Consider changing the number of swings from time to time, get more rest and focus on power. So maybe 10x5 instead.
    4. Remember to weave in 2h swings per the book as well.
    5. On the days that you have a day off, get a “full” session in. Or don’t and just work on mobility and total rest. Take walks or do something to distress.
These little sessions are quick and you’re getting some work in. One of the points about S&S that gets overlooked is it is a process of refining movement quality with strength and getting to know yourself. This is why we call it “practice”. Over time, those small sessions will pay off. Always ask yourself what you are learning.

I’m not trying to dissuade you from continuing RoP, but I want to give you ideas in case RoP becomes too much.

As far as your comment about having a hard time sticking to things… I suggest you stop reading and watching videos about different shiny, glittery programs that distract you from what you are trying to do right here, right now.

Don’t let best get in the way of good.

1. What attributes are you trying to develop?
  2. Monitor your recovery with the 20 kg bell doing RoP. If you start getting sleepless or your nerves feel jazzed all the time, start losing strength, become irritable, angry and just don’t feel like yourself, you’re probably under recovered and need to deload. If you deload for a week, get back to RoP and start to slump again, then consider moving to something like S&S.
  3. If you swing back around to S&S, remember that there are more ways to cook it. Let’s say you’ve only got 15 min before work, here are some options
    1. Get a round of goblet squats in, 5x10 swings, 2x1/1 GUs and your stretches in
    2. Decouple the GUs and Swings in A/B format. Day A 10x10 swings, Day B 5x1/1 GUs and get some goblets in before and stretches after.
    3. Consider changing the number of swings from time to time, get more rest and focus on power. So maybe 10x5 instead.
    4. Remember to weave in 2h swings per the book as well.
    5. On the days that you have a day off, get a “full” session in. Or don’t and just work on mobility and total rest. Take walks or do something to distress.
These little sessions are quick and you’re getting some work in. One of the points about S&S that gets overlooked is it is a process of refining movement quality with strength and getting to know yourself. This is why we call it “practice”. Over time, those small sessions will pay off. Always ask yourself what you are learning.

I’m not trying to dissuade you from continuing RoP, but I want to give you ideas in case RoP becomes too much.

As far as your comment about having a hard time sticking to things… I suggest you stop reading and watching videos about different shiny, glittery programs that distract you from what you are trying to do right here, right now.

Don’t let best get in the way of good.
After much deliberation, I've decided to begin simple and sinister again. The RoP is becoming a drag, especially with how much I'm working. I'll only be doing it on days off or on days where I get out of work early. Only moving up exactly how described in the book. I do have a couple questions I want to run by you :
1. Would you recommend 4kg or 8kg weight jumps?
2. Any good ideas for the 'jolt' sessions?

Thank you, Adam

After much deliberation, I've decided to begin simple and sinister again. The RoP is becoming a drag, especially with how much I'm working. I'll only be doing it on days off or on days where I get out of work early. Only moving up exactly how described in the book. I do have a couple questions I want to run by you :
1. Would you recommend 4kg or 8kg weight jumps?
2. Any good ideas for the 'jolt' sessions?

Thank you, Adam
I think you should feel out the jumps in load. You are not a new practitioner and are likely more in tune with your own needs. You'll know when you get there; be honest with yourself.

As far as jolt sessions are concerned, I think the general recommendation is to swap in hard sets of overspeed 2h swings. You'll know when you've had enough.

There's no problem at all you are only doing S&S 3/9 days, however if you feel like you want to do a little more, the micro sessions I suggested are a really nice supplement to the primary sessions. Like when learning an instrument, 15 minutes, 4 days a week is going to produce better results that 1 hour on Saturday, if you catch my drift.

All the best and don't start too light either. Goldilocks bell.

I think you should feel out the jumps in load. You are not a new practitioner and are likely more in tune with your own needs. You'll know when you get there; be honest with yourself.

As far as jolt sessions are concerned, I think the general recommendation is to swap in hard sets of overspeed 2h swings. You'll know when you've had enough.

There's no problem at all you are only doing S&S 3/9 days, however if you feel like you want to do a little more, the micro sessions I suggested are a really nice supplement to the primary sessions. Like when learning an instrument, 15 minutes, 4 days a week is going to produce better results that 1 hour on Saturday, if you catch my drift.

All the best and don't start too light either. Goldilocks bell.
Thank you Ryan, I'm excited to follow this program again and keep everything in a better perspective.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom