all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Steady State Cardio and Aerobics

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
And most importantly - am I just overthinking this?

The sun used to revolve around the earth until it didn't, the earth was flat until it was round, carbs were good until they weren't, fat was bad until wasn't, jogging was good until intervals, intervals were good until repeats, the list goes on. If history has taught us anything, most of what we know now will eventually be proven false and it won't matter...JUST TRAIN!!! ?‍♂️?️‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️ROFL(y)

That said, if we didn't overthink it, the earth would still be flat and what kind of life would that be?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that most HIIT people do their intervals "high" enough. So I'm not sure what benefit they actually get.

For general health, the low intensity volume is pretty low. It's also very pleasant and enjoyable. If you have a dog, you should be most of the way already. You don't need to cycle 1000K or run 200K a week. But if you want to go over mountains under your own power, even just for fun, you will need to "train."

JUST TRAIN!!!

Yeah, with a little distance it is pretty easy: Just do it. "Do what?" you might ask. That is rather easy, too. I think, for general health and longevity we could all agree that the following three components are vital:

Lift something (fast or heavy), train your heart (ballistics/steady state/exercise), do some body maintenance (mobility/joint work/soft tissue work).

This is one of the reasons why S&S is so great: It features all three components and is very efficient.

But going beyond that is where things get more complicated and are more dependent on goals and context -- and where it becomes more difficult to balance things.

Here are a couple of random combinations, not necessarily geared towards performance but towards sustainability:
PTTP + Walking + Yoga
S&S + Original Strength
Naked Warrior + Running + Flexible Steel
A+A + Swimming + SF Resilient

So the modalities and programming are pretty flexible. I think it would be sane to have a look at risk-to-benefit ratios, as some modalities are more injury prone. However, fun factor might be even more important for some people. I guess this is where this discussion comes in: Exercising in aerobic classes might not be "training", but get the job done for general health.

e could all agree that the following three components are vital:

Lift something (fast or heavy), train your heart (ballistics/steady state/exercise), do some body maintenance (mobility/joint work/soft tissue work).

This is very much my list - strong back + strong heart + move well to greatly simplify.

I do wonder if locomotion apart from movement quality alone is part of the baseline. Walking seems to do a lot more for me than just it’s aerobic qualities and this isn’t even getting to the fun stuff like a cartwheel now and then.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom