all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Stem cell treatment for cartliage?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Anyone know anything about this? One of my knees seems to be about "done" and I would love to avoid surgical replacement if possible. There are a number clinics in my general area that specialize in doing this and all claim one treatment generally does the job. The problem is that it is quite expensive, not covered by any insurance at all, and I have not been able to find much in the way of reliable info on it. I know there are at least a few pro athletes (football, basketball) who have done it but how well it works in general, and how well in particular for worn out rather than just injured joints are the real questions.

Anyone know anything, has any experience of how well it works, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks

I was researching it as an alternative to my torn labrum. Apparently there are two different procedures. Only one of which is done in the U.S. (There is also a clinic in the Caymans) I believe that the cost was between $5k to $10k, 'depending'. And you are correct not insurance covered.
I gather that the recovery period is supposedly much less than traditional surgery, so that is worth something I guess. I heard that Joe Rogan had it done.

Thanks. More than 2 different procedures. Well one really, inject the stem cells into the joint, but they can be harvested from bone marrow, adipose tissue, or fetal umbilical blood (from healthy cesarean births). Bone marrow is the most commonly used that I have found, umbilical blood not so much because that route has some cancer risk associated. Prices near me for one knee range from $1300 to $8500 depending on clinic and what is done with (like platelet enriched plasma injected [PRP]).

Thanks for the Joe Rogan tip

Joe Rogan on Stem cell gun & getting stem cells himself
"Joe Rogan and Kevin Smith Talk about Stem cell gun & Joe getting stem cells himself"

I'm with you @GeoffreyLevens. Fellow member of the knackered knee society here too, sure we've discussed knee related catastrophes before.
Feldenkrais. For people who've had knee issues they will identify with how moshe feldenkrais had his lightbulb moment leading him to his method.....he too had knee issues. Anyway, it may help.
We all have different skeletal systems, idiosyncratic movement and pain perception from a multitude of sources and for many different reasons so what works for me may not be your thing. Worth a look see?

I've heard of stem cell usage for degenerative disc disease (DDD) and similar conditions showing promise in studies, but I've never met anyone who's had such a procedure done. I'd be interested to hear what you find out @GeoffreyLevens

@SolidBrawn-I have never met anyone personally but there's the Joe Rogan thing and a couple people i "know' online have had similar success. Also, less numbers but some "no benefit".

@ali-To my mind, all alternatives are worth exploring. The knife and all its risks and downsides is always available should it come to that. $ is the big bugger. As has always been the case, those with the bigger banks get the best treatment options available.

Right now I am going with high dose glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, stabilization exercises from PT, gentle and persistent strength building (Tai Chi, bicycle riding, squatty snatches, walking), and some Chinese herbs. Pretty much out of pain after a 40 minute (36 sets of 5) snatch session yesterday. Work bell 16 kg, bodyweight 110 lbs. Next session will start working in a few 20 kg sets and see how that goes. Any pain and weight gets reduced as needed; I have down to 12 kg and have used that when need arises. And of course lots of rest and good nutrition

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom