all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Steve Friedes....question about one hand swing progression and weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
http://www.strongfirst.com/simple-sinister-progressing-from-two-to-one-handed-swings

Hi Steve, I pasted this article from another S&S thread so as to not take that thread too off topic on the original poster.

I know this article talks about adding swings in a workout of 50 reps, and when one is using a particular weight already in all sets, but what about when one is comfortable at that weight already one handed, and is seeking to bump up their weight to a new category?

Am currently doing S&S, comfortable at 16kg one handed swings and have met the time standards for them in testing. I find 20kg two handed do-able, but definitely would not be able to complete a set of 10 one handed (my lungs/cardio capacity being more a factor in form deterioration vs. things like my grip).

Would one get all their sets to 20kg in 10T x 10 sets, and then seek to add in one handed as you describe, one set or even 2 at a time, eventually getting those sets to 10 one handed and then work on more sets, or does it just depend on a lot of factors? I believe I have heard the book describes that you would "stay with one handed from now on" (sorry I may be wrong, and have Kindle version of the book only and no access to my tablet at the moment)

Another method I have had suggested is that I would keep my weight as sets at 16kg, start with the second set as 20kg working up to 4R 1T 4L, then get the second set to that, then progress those two sets to all one handed eg: set 2 = 5R/5L set 3 5R 5L, next session set 2 = 6R 4L, set 3= 4R 6L, bump up to 7/3 and 3/7 and so on.

Thoughts, in light of your article? I realize I may be overthinking this though, and some personal experimentation may be in order ...!

Anything that moves you forward is going to be OK; you've got lots of idea already. I'll see if I can add a thing or two for you.

You want your 2h swing to be significantly heavier than your 1h swing. This means you've got the hip/back/hamstring strength to swing a heavier weight. For most people in your situation, I'd say it's time to work on even heavier with your 2h swings, e.g., I swing a 28 for 1h and a 40 for 2h most of the time.

Doing as you suggest, 20 kg x 2h x 10 x 10, then adding singles to the mix - that's certainly an option. If you want to keep some singles in the mix, do 20 kg x 2h for some sets and 16 kg x 1h for others, e.g., 20 kg x 2h x 10, 16 kg x Right x 10, 16 kg x Left x 10 - repeat that three times and you've done 90 swings.

Another choice, and one I recommend you try some of the time, is going for longer sets than 10 - they won't be maximally explosive throughout in all likelihood, but it's still useful. Try 16 kg x 1h x 15 with each hand, even 20 if you can do it, some of the time - maybe one day per week, maybe even just once so that you'll find greater grip strength.

Yet another thing to do is work on your barbell deadlift - if you can hold onto something static that's heavy, you'll have more to work with in your swings. My usual training deadlifts are in the 275 lbs. range, so hanging onto a kettlebell with one hand isn't all that difficult, and a 40 kg for 2h swings really isn't challenging to my grip.

It's good to figure out what your weakness is and address it - if it's grip, focus on that. If it's your wind, then work on more 2h swings and possibly heavier 2h swings if it's your hip/back/leg strength.

One way to think of all this is that instead of doing S&S by the book 5 days per week, you put it on the "back burner" and do it "by the book" 3x/week, and the other two days you do some of the things we're discussing above - they might still be swing practice but they won't strictly be your S&S practice and that's OK, IMHO.

-S-

Thank you for the feedback! Some good ideas here. Tried a few things today...the 28kg feels good to swing 2 handed, so maybe I will do that alternating with the 16 one handed L and R like you suggest, one day a week. definitely only can swing it 1 to 2 at s time with one hand and still be somewhat explosive!

I live a prohibitive distance from a gym, so no barbell. I do have kbs up to 32 kg, but my heaviest doubles are only 16kg. Was thinking of some timed farmers walks as well for grips, like say 24kg+28kg, and switching sides, or even static holds without walking. Also the15 set scheme for swings sounds good too.

Farmer's walks with a pair of 32's are great grip exercise (or whatever weight you can reasonably manage for a minute or so).

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom