all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Steve Maxwell's Garage Gorilla Metabolic Conditioning

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with this routine that Steve has on his site? I'm interested in it due to the minimalist styling, but was hoping to get a review from someone who had tried it directly. I'm also interested in thoughts on any of Steve's other digital downloads.

Thanks!

While I've not tried any of Mr. Maxwell's routines myself, I have it on good authority that the man knows his onions:

"There are very few personal trainers I would endorse without reservations; Steve Maxwell is on top of that list," - Pavel Tsatsouline in The Russian Kettlebell Challenge
Based on that statement alone, I reckon it'd be worth taking the plunge and checking it out.

I don't have much experience with his program videos other than studying them to perfect my form.

I did get my kettlebell instructor 1 cert through him, and yes, he knows his stuff.

Solid stuff, guys. I will probably pull the trigger on this one once I get my hands on a pullup/dip station for home usage.

I ended up purchasing the program this morning. It's 2 conditioning-related circuits. I'm going to try circuit #1 tomorrow. I imagine my legs will be cooked afterward.

I actually bought this video since these are six exercises that i've been focusing on.. good stuff, I think you're only supposed to do this twice a week, once for each work out.. not sure if you can add strength work to the 2 work outs per wek

out of curiousity, how are you fitting it into your overall training?

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: did the workout. The one with the kettlbell/hindu pushups/rows.

it was very interesting, his idea of "metabolic conditioning". stressing the system and not the muscles.

at the end of the workout (which is only about fifteen minutes + five minutes or so on rope for warmup) you don't dream of doing another rep. Your muscles aren't smoked but your system is...really weird feeling.. a little nausea too, but nothing I couldn't handle

It has an intensity compared to "man makers" from Enter the Kettlebell, the 12 minute kettlbell round

odd feeling. your body isn't sore or anything but it tells you "stop!" at a certain mark, in which you can't perform any reps of any exercise, despite not going to muscular failure

@sizzlefuzz, what are your goals?

-S-

Strength-wise, I would like to get "Solid". I hit Simple a few weeks ago but I had to ratchet things back a little due to a handstand-related rib injury. I also really want to learn and achieve the pistol, and eventually the SFB. I like the pistol with rings-assist as I like how I can work the movement.

Related to sports, I am a BJJ competitor and I find S&S is a good minimalist strength routine that doesn't leave me burned out to train hard in grappling.

Otherwise, I really enjoy training in handbalancing which demands total body tension, is great for body awareness, and all-around fun.

Strength-wise, I would like to get "Solid". I hit Simple a few weeks ago but I had to ratchet things back a little due to a handstand-related rib injury. I also really want to learn and achieve the pistol, and eventually the SFB. I like the pistol with rings-assist as I like how I can work the movement.

Related to sports, I am a BJJ competitor and I find S&S is a good minimalist strength routine that doesn't leave me burned out to train hard in grappling.

Otherwise, I really enjoy training in handbalancing which demands total body tension, is great for body awareness, and all-around fun.
You have quite a few things on your plate - perhaps too many? Doing Steve's program and your grappling would be plenty, or doing S&S and your grappling would be plenty, or doing bw stuff like pistols and handstands and your grappling would be plenty. You sound like you might have enough exercise for two trainees there.

-S-

You have quite a few things on your plate - perhaps too many? Doing Steve's program and your grappling would be plenty, or doing S&S and your grappling would be plenty, or doing bw stuff like pistols and handstands and your grappling would be plenty. You sound like you might have enough exercise for two trainees there.

-S-

You may very well be correct, I do a large variety of things, but I think as long as I don't hit an overtrained state, I think there is value in working various skillsets (S&S, handbalancing, BW stuff, grappling) in terms of proprioception. I use the method of looking at my resting heart rate in the morning. If it's 5 beats over my monthly average, I know it's time to throttle back. In the past 3 months or so that's happened on only a few occasions, and I feel better than ever.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom