all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Stoney and Windmill Stick

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I have been reading Dan John's blog and have found plenty of solid advice. I used to do a handful of specific stretches as part of my warm up. I have changed things up from stretchs to hit specific muscles to stretchs that hit chains of muscles.

I like the Stoney Stretch with rings, and the Windmill Stick a lot. They loosen up my problem areas, and get me ready for my movement prep. I do them with Brettzels, hangs, handstands, and Bar Ankle Stretch daily.

Does anyone else have experience with these two Dan John stretches? They work for me preworkout, and between sets, and save me some time.

If you work on your splits, you'll want some sort of windmill stretch.

I also often recommend windmills for people who, after having seen a doctor for their sciatica and gotten clearance, are looking to help themselves - doesn't work for everyone but does help many.

I think this sort of 'stretching program minimum' is highly personal - find a couple of stretches that really help you and do them every day or several times a day.

-S-

I like heavy high lowwindmills as a strength exercise, but in my warm up I will do get up+windmill combo to stretch th hips and t spine. I found it really beneficial for the Bent Press.

I like the Stoney stretch for hip flexors, and overhead mobility.

@Geoff Chafe : don't know the Dan John stretches, but I am incorporating stretches for the last two weeks on almost every evening before bed. Makes me feel better the next day. I do some hurdle stretches, frogs, some gentle split work. foam roal my spine and t-spine and the glutes a bit. At work I take a broomstick, do dislocates, and some side bending with the stick over my head, or some overhead squats.
I think this sort of 'stretching program minimum' is highly personal - find a couple of stretches that really help you and do them every day or several times a day.
spot on!

I do not know if Dan John has a relationship to Strong First, but his stuff is interesting.

Stoney Stretch

Windmill Stick

Interesting Get Up drill, I am going to try it today, and go for a max single, and some back off reps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom