all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Straddle Planche Journey

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

305pelusa

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm an addict StrongFirst. I'm addicted to Planches. I love how they look so effortless, yet require so much strength. I think of it as the epitome of basic strength calisthenics. I've been obsessed with them for about 5 years now, worked on them on and off and finally really buckled down and worked hard on them for a year and a half now and counting.

It's elusive and tricky. But I've made progress. It sometimes comes slowly, sometimes steadily but it really is about consistency. Anyways, I recently decided to try out a few Straddle Planche holds to see where I stand (really, that was my main goal) and was successful in getting my first! The quality of the picture is poor, so that's a shame but still. There's plenty of work to be done to get a more solid and longer straddle planche, but that should be easier as well as more fun.

I know the Planche gets thrown around occasionally so I felt it would be cool to have a thread to refer back to for useful tips and motivation. It's my favorite move after all!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-25-22-12-26.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-25-22-12-26.png
    614.9 KB · Views: 49
Yes, I didn't realize what those were called. They do look like they require a fantastic base of strength. Very cool, thanks!

Nice! What does your routine look like? All gymnastic based or with weight training mixed in. I'd love to hear as I'm starting to work more gymnastic stuff.

great stuff. trying to build to this myself but really struggling (being bottom heavy with squatters legs doesnt help).

be interested in hearing your progress as I am determined to eventually get a planche, goal this year was straddle planche but plateaued at a semi tucked planche currently

Hello,

That is impressive ! Congratulations !

Do you follow a specific routine to get to this point ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you for the words!

Yes, it is the training program as outlined in Overcoming Gravity. It consists of 4 identical training days. At the beginning of the week, you test a max to see where you are and use a modified Prilepin chart to program the sets/reps of that week. Every few months you cycle the progression to keep progress steady. It's a bit complicated but it works.

@305pelusa, strong stuff!

-S-
Thank you Steve as always!

Yes, I didn't realize what those were called. They do look like they require a fantastic base of strength. Very cool, thanks!

I can Bench an OK amount from it (235 lbs at 130 lbs BW for a 1RM), but I'm hoping to see it carry-over to other stuff more.

Nice! What does your routine look like? All gymnastic based or with weight training mixed in. I'd love to hear as I'm starting to work more gymnastic stuff.

It is all calisthenics, except for Barbell Overhead Pressing. That stuff works. Building up to a 140 lbs press made my HSPUs a breeze. I don't do presses anymore though since it's becoming harder to build it up and I want to spend my time on other skills. A BW press is good enough for the time being.

great stuff. trying to build to this myself but really struggling (being bottom heavy with squatters legs doesnt help).

be interested in hearing your progress as I am determined to eventually get a planche, goal this year was straddle planche but plateaued at a semi tucked planche currently

I probably spent about 5 months just working on opening my Tuck Planche. The Adv. Tuck Planche (I'm imagining that's what you mean by semi tucked) is brutally hard. It's about putting in a lot of effort. It's easy for me since I don't weigh a whole lot, but I've seen heavyweights get these so.

I didn't know that was a Strongfirst move. It looks like you are floating. Amazing!

I think it's a bit exotic. I wouldn't imagine it gets much coverage at the certifications. Thank you for the kind words btw!

@305pelusa this is what I mean. only held for a few seconds.

I've just been holding for multiple five to ten seconds until comfortable before trying with harder progressions but think I might be better holding easier positions for extended times?

Attachments

• IMG_20160926_204548.jpg
    IMG_20160926_204548.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 19
Hello,

It is all callistehnics
Is your program entirely coming from OG ?

Prilepin chart
Do you use PC for each progression move (tuck, advanced tuck,...)

I am able to do a planche for a few seconds, but I can not maintain my arms straight. It hurts my wrists :( My limit here is my tricep resistance

Do you pay attention to your weight to e sure to have a good "strength / power ratio" ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
@305pelusa this is what I mean. only held for a few seconds.

I've just been holding for multiple five to ten seconds until comfortable before trying with harder progressions but think I might be better holding easier positions for extended times?

An Adv. Tuck is that same thing, but the knees touching instead of straddle. From a shoulder-torque perspective, they're identical so we're speaking in the same vein. A tuck Planche, but with the back straightened out hehe.

I'll be the first to congratulate you because that's actually a really difficult position 0_o Few people even get to a decent Tuck planche, let alone opening up the tuck. Is that you in the picture?

Anyways, I can't give you advice because I think the Planche is so individual and it really is about seeing what works for you. I can tell you roughly how it worked for me:
1) I built up a good Frogstand (60 s) as well as a straight-arm Frogstand (around 40 s). I think Google is the easiest way to familiarize yourself with these positions.
2) Then I moved on to the Tuck Planche. I could always do those but I took my time to really nail step 1 before moving here. I worked on it for months until I got around 30 seconds. I tested the Adv. Tuck Planche, saw I could hold it for about 5 seconds, and moved on.
3) I began to work on the Adv. Tuck Planche. I would do 8+ sets of 2-3 secs because it was that damn hard of an exercise. I kept up with it, was patient and put in the time. I don't think there's anything to gain from moving back onto earlier steps at this point. It just requires a lot of strength and you need to do the movements that are difficult to build that. Just keep plugging. I'm currently at an Adv. Tuck 15 second max.

^I found that if you can hold a strong Adv. Tuck for 15 secs or so, then it's possible to hold a straddle on a good day for a couple of seconds. I'm still going to be putting time into the Adv. Tuck since the Straddle is way too hard to train yet. Hope that helps.

Another thing. It is quite a bit easier to hold the Planche on bars than floor. The bars let you torque the wrist to get more weight forward without having to lean forward. No such cheating on the floor.

Hence, bars is probably best for most people. It's already so difficult that there's no need to make it extra hard. I personally was plagued by forearm splints whenever I used bars years ago when I first took an interest in planches. So I stuck to the floor. It makes things take longer, but it ultimately was safer and built more strength for me :) Thought I should mention that.

Hello,

Is your program entirely coming from OG ?

Do you use PC for each progression move (tuck, advanced tuck,...)

Most of my routine comes from OG (I use his programming and progressions for HSs, V-sits, planche, Front lever, HSPUs and HS Presses). But for weighted dips, pull-ups and overhead pressing, instead of following the sets/reps he recommends, I use the 5/3/1 plan for those. And I also add random Pistols at the end done PTTP style.

If by PC, you mean Prilepin's Chart, then yeah. It's how you're supposed to program them every week. He modified the chart to fit isometrics, concentrics and eccentric movements. Takes away all the guesswork.

I am able to do a planche for a few seconds, but I can not maintain my arms straight. It hurts my wrists :( My limit here is my tricep resistance

Do you pay attention to your weight to e sure to have a good "strength / power ratio" ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Bending the arms does make the pressure on the wrists smaller, but it also makes the movement much easier. So maybe that's why you also bend your elbows. You're trying to do a movement that's too hard at the moment.

As far as your wrists are concerned, have you tried placing them 45 degrees outwards? Or sideways completely? What about on bars? All of these should make the pressure much less. There's tons of ways to help you here and I've thought about and looked up a lot of them. Just let me know if those don't help.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to my weight because I don't gain weight easily. But yeah if I put on 5 lbs right on, no way I could do the Straddle Planche. You gotta be strong but you also have to be lean for it.

It is all calisthenics, except for Barbell Overhead Pressing. That stuff works. Building up to a 140 lbs press made my HSPUs a breeze. I don't do presses anymore though since it's becoming harder to build it up and I want to spend my time on other skills. A BW press is good enough for the time being.

I probably spent about 5 months just working on opening my Tuck Planche. The Adv. Tuck Planche (I'm imagining that's what you mean by semi tucked) is brutally hard. It's about putting in a lot of effort. It's easy for me since I don't weigh a whole lot, but I've seen heavyweights get these so.

I think it's a bit exotic. I wouldn't imagine it gets much coverage at the certifications. Thank you for the kind words btw!

You are correct.. we don't cover the planche at the cert, other than a OAPU progression that uses one hand setup as in a planche to assist the OAPU. This is a very advanced skill. I work on progressions from time to time but far from doing them. I have worked holding one side on an elevation with just the top of the toes to help balance and work building strength. But feel this is a long journey for me to reach and will some day add more of my training time to it.

yeah that's me in the picture. about four or five months of continued practice.

off the floor is definitely harder, still struggling with basic tucked planche in the position.

like everything else I suppose its about being a stickler for technique and putting in the work.

will look into the overcoming gravity book as I also have goals of walking on my hands so some hand balancing pointers will also be of benefit. really interesting thread

Hello,

Or sideways completely?
Yes you are right. I am more comfortable with my wrists totaly sideways ! That way I hold 2 or 3 seconds when I do it at the beginning of the training.

I have more or less the same problem with front lever. When I began training it, I did it with my pull ups bar. Now, I do it with my rings. That way, my wrists can turn and have their natural position.

Once again, congratulations for your moves ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Yes you are right. I am more comfortable with my wrists totaly sideways ! That way I hold 2 or 3 seconds when I do it at the beginning of the training.

I have more or less the same problem with front lever. When I began training it, I did it with my pull ups bar. Now, I do it with my rings. That way, my wrists can turn and have their natural position.

Once again, congratulations for your moves ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Oh well I'm glad that was helpful. You can see that's the hand position I prefer, along with using wrist bands for a bit of added stability in the longer holds.

Hello,

@305pelusa
My main weak point remains my arme and especially my triceps. This is why I don't hold more than 3 or 4s. Then do you think working on HSPU could have a carryover on my planche ? Or would it be too much work ?

Thanks a lot !

Pet'

Hello,

@305pelusa
My main weak point remains my arme and especially my triceps. This is why I don't hold more than 3 or 4s. Then do you think working on HSPU could have a carryover on my planche ? Or would it be too much work ?

Thanks a lot !

Pet'

What exactly makes you think your triceps are too weak and holding you back?

If it's the fact that you can't keep your arms straight, just remember that is ultimately what makes the planche so difficult. Keeping the arms straight puts an immense torque on the shoulder, as well as taxes the biceps a lot. The chest and lats obviously work very hard to stabilize everything since it's a horizontal push.

When you see someone bend their arms, it just simply means they are trying a variation that is a bit too difficult for them. So they compensate by bending the elbows, which decreases the strength component significantly. WHY that happens might be shoulder weakness (most likely) but it might also be biceps/triceps/pecs/lats weakness. Most likely is that it's a combination of all of those right?

Regardless, the best way to iron out and achieve the planche is to... get stronger! And the best way to do that is to train the planche itself. Pick a variation that you can do with perfect form from the list I made earlier, and focus on getting stronger with it.

That said, there is accessory work. Any straight arm pushing is helpful (Handstands, Back Lever, Handstand Presses) as well as bent arm pressing in the similar direction (push-ups, OAPUs, planche push-ups and dips). The HSPU just doesn't carry-over because the ROM is totally different (it's still a worthwhile movement though!). I think it's important to be proficient in as many of these movements to get the Planche.

Calisthenics is a place where minimalism doesn't always work out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom