all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Straight Bar Dip Benefits

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

305pelusa

Level 6 Valued Member
Revisited the Straight Bar Dip this week, to do something more challenging than regular Dips. I was impressed at how much harder they can be and how much I felt it on my chest (a commodity in this triceps-shoulder driven world of calisthenics).

They're obviously a precursor to the Muscle-up, especially if you do them deep. I can hit right on top of my upper abs at the bottom of every rep, but you have to bring your feet very much in front of you to maintain balance. So a must if MUs are a goal I'd say.

What I also realized is that is it the exact opposite of the movement pattern of a high pull. So in theory, it would work the opposing muscles used in the KB Snatch (and Swing, to a lesser extent). There's some value in that as it would be the only exercise that does that.

Anywho, had been a while since I had done them and really liked them. So wanted to bring it to people's attentions. It's a good twist on the Dip. Here's a link with some instructions (albeit I'd try to get a fuller ROM than this guy):
Tip: Do Straight Bar Dips | T Nation

I would always try to touch the bar to my xiphoid process to get the most out of the ROM. In terms of ROM alone, the parallel bar dip is superior IMO, but the straight bar dip challenges the forearm muscles at the bottom of the movement (when not stacked over the bar in the vertical plane, but with the elbows slightly angled back) and naturally incentivizes a good hollow body position. One can definitely see the numerous carry over possibilities. However, I've never found a good way to do weighted straight bar dips (without a weight vest). Any thoughts on progression?

Yeah I hear you. I actually haven't heard much about Straight bar dips being weighed down. I just thought of it as a useful variation. Maybe not so many benefits from doing it heavy (unlike a regular dip).

Most people just move right along to its bigger cousins, the Korean Dip and the Underhand Korean Dip.

I've done my straight bar dips where their is a gap between the bars. It's tough to find them like that but I am able to do it on my rig. It helps to get around a big stomach (like mine), and gives a much fuller range.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom