all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Straight Leg In The Getup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Pavel Macek is dead-on.
The part of the getup most people try to cruise through and under appreciate is the roll-to-elbow and back down from the elbow. In my experience this portion builds the most strength.
I will typically keep a student here with a new bell for several weeks and keep adding sets, reps or time under tension until they can perform at least 3 sets of 3 to 5 reps to the elbow per arm before training the full getup wit said weight.

In my experience once someone owns the roll to elbow without shrugging, crashing, kipping or lifting the free leg for several sets of several continuous reps they can easily complete the full getup.

My suggestion - take the roll to elbow part and do sets of 3-5 reps with a lighter weight. And then after some time try heavier. And after few days/weeks heavier. Many people have this issue when the bell is relatively heavy compared to their bodyweight (I know I did), but patient re-patterning and practice guarantees huge improvement. I had the same issues from 32 kg up (BW 68 kg/150 lb), but using the method above I can do it without the leg pop with 40 kg now. 44 kg - more difficult, but it means that I just have to spend more time with 36/40.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom