all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strapping, Posture Correction, Rounded Shoulders

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
Posture Correction : In the past my physio has put sticky tape on my back in a Y shape to remind me to "Pull shoulders back into back pockets"

Was wondering if any of these shoulder strap gadgets have been effective for anyone, see attached screenshot, lots of these available on ebay amazon etc probably lots of diy versions too.

I usually forget through the day and end up slumping forward, my wife and I constantly remind eachother.

I remember to do this when exercising but dont manage to keep it going all my waking hours.

What worked for you ?

Attachments

• shoulder straps.jpg
    shoulder straps.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
They're a bit gimmicky, IMO. I tried one briefly and it didn't seem to do much.

I'm not sure I have any great ideas, and I struggle with this a bit also, spending many hours at a computer every day, but here are my thoughts:

1) Stretch the pecs. Corner stretch is great. Several times a day.
2) Do some mindful practice - sitting, walking with your ideal posture. Get some reps in.
3) Develop the upper back muscles. Rows, pull-ups, kettlebell snatch. The postural muscles need strength and likely more size.
4) Do some rucking with a loaded pack with the shoulders back in a good position. The postural muscles need endurance, too.
5) T-spine mobility work several times per week.

I also view that kind of stuff as a gimmick, mostly marketed to people who want something to "fix them" instead of learning to "fix themselves," if you follow.

My two cents:

-Table rocks
-Arch holds or arch rocks

-Chest expansion.
-If the front of your ribs are compressed, the scaps might tend to drift up and over instead of around, if that makes any sense to you. All of the retraction and "down and back" exercises won't make a lasting impact if your ribs are stuck. If that area expands, it will naturally "push" the scaps back to where they need to go. This is a tricky concept to explain. If you "hunch" forward, you are sort of compressing the upper chest. If you have your arms out in front of you in this position, the scaps will want to do what I said above.

-Lay on the floor near a wall, put your feet on the wall with a 90 degree bend in your hips and a 90 degree bend in your knees. Pull down on the wall like you are trying to wipe the paint off with the bottom of your feet, until your butt comes slightly off the ground. You should feel your hamstrings and maybe glutes engage. Do not let the lower back arch.

-Exhale like you are trying to fog up a huge window. Get all the air out so that your lower abs really contract. Keep some contraction there and then inhale as quietly through the nose as you can. The goal here is to have the ribs expand instead of the stomach. Your chest and sides should feel like a balloon inflating. The abs don't need to be squeezing super hard; just enough to make the ribs expand is enough.

-If you are really tight, this might feel really hard at first. Just try your best not to overstrain. Try to keep the neck and face relaxed the whole time. It's definitely a bit of a coordination task at first. Let your head rest on the floor or a pillow or something if you'd like.

@Anna C @bluejeff Thanks for the advice. Will implement the suggested exercises

Will also attempt to make a new habit, every hour on the hour consciously stop whatever I'm doing, inspect current posture and improve it.

In the same way as the poor posture became a bad habit, would like to make better posture a stronger replacement habit, however I guess there are years of slumped computer posture to be reversed.

The initial idea of the Y tape on my back was supposed to be a constant reminder, however one becomes accustomed to it and it becomes less effective.

BlueJeff, nicely summarised, " ....... people who want something to "fix them" instead of learning to "fix themselves," that is more or less what I was after.

Last edited:
Original strength resets fixed my posture almost instantly after years of trying.

Posture is an expression of the CNS not a position you consciously hold.

BREATHING properly is the key. If your diaphragm is doing its job, other muscles won't become active to take over.

- learn to breathe
- tongue on roof of mouth (helps posture)
- do the other Resets daily

@Dayz Thanks, will investigate Original Strength Resets

I had previously believed that my slumped shoulders were caused by years of sitting at a desk with the "slouching forward" muscles becoming contracted all the time and somehow overcoming the "pulling back" muscles (shoulder blades into back pockets muscles). Didn't realise that there are other ways to think about this. Will do some google searches to get a better understanding of what I am trying to say.

@Dayz Thanks, will investigate Original Strength Resets

I had previously believed that my slumped shoulders were caused by years of sitting at a desk with the "slouching forward" muscles becoming contracted all the time and somehow overcoming the "pulling back" muscles (shoulder blades into back pockets muscles). Didn't realise that there are other ways to think about this. Will do some google searches to get a better understanding of what I am trying to say.
I highly recommend this article as a starting point:

"Posture is not a position you have to strive to hold. It is the position(s) you are able to hold. Here is a mind trip: your posture is probably always optimal given the information your brain is receiving from your body. It may not be optimal for the life you want to have or the activities you want to do, but it could be optimal for “where you are” in how you move and interact with the world around you."

I read that those straps can actually be counter productive. If they’re holding the shoulders back for you, the muscles don’t have to do the work and can become even weaker.

To repeat some of what’s been said already - I’ve had good results by working t-spine mobility, different chest opening type stretches, and strengthening the muscles between the shoulder blades and upper back. Also, I think walking a lot helps. Stay tall, don’t look at the ground.

It’s a great place for me to make a comment and at the same time ask a question. @Anna C tagging Anna here, since she is so generous to offer help and in the post thread already.

I am 48 and have posture problems due to many reasons. Tried lots of books, videos, braces. I even bought special and very very expensive shirts. Nothing worked. After some months of some exercises maybe a bit improvement.

Literally last night, (I was just going to give a few weeks before I write this, since its just an incredibly short time) I have tried Pavel’s relax in to stretch protocol.

First of all, the effect that I am seeing can not be physcological. Cause I did not believe in it, it was too good to be true, I even felt cheated. I gave some drills a try yesterday night. And today. They work as wonders.

I have watched flexible steel prootocls and got sone choaching from certified person. Who was a great person. But Pavel’s protocol is too good to be true.

Why are not people using it? Or talking about it?

With anyone with posture problem. Just use Pavel’s relax and static stretch protocol and see the magic.

It’s a great place for me to make a comment and at the same time ask a question. @Anna C tagging Anna here, since she is so generous to offer help and in the post thread already.

I am 48 and have posture problems due to many reasons. Tried lots of books, videos, braces. I even bought special and very very expensive shirts. Nothing worked. After some months of some exercises maybe a bit improvement.

Literally last night, (I was just going to give a few weeks before I write this, since its just an incredibly short time) I have tried Pavel’s relax in to stretch protocol.

First of all, the effect that I am seeing can not be physcological. Cause I did not believe in it, it was too good to be true, I even felt cheated. I gave some drills a try yesterday night. And today. They work as wonders.

I have watched flexible steel prootocls and got sone choaching from certified person. Who was a great person. But Pavel’s protocol is too good to be true.

Why are not people using it? Or talking about it?

With anyone with posture problem. Just use Pavel’s relax and static stretch protocol and see the magic.
Which section of the book are you referring to exactly?

Hi;

Page 30 last sentence gives the protocol.

I have used The following stretches: TheOverheadReach............p.67 The Biceps and Shoulder Stretch. . . . p. 68 The Shoulder Blade and Lat Stretch . p. 69 TheUpperBackLoosener......... p.71

And immediately did the bar hang again according to the protocol.

I tested my self immediately in wall slides ( Not in Pavel’s book) first time in life showed an amazing (to my standards) ROM, so I have applied Pavel protocol to the wall slide as well.

In the morning I felt so good, today during noon time I used above during Karen’s SF BW program ( in her program she says do mobility but does not specify)

Dinner time, I felt improved posture, tried again wall slide, could not believe the ROM. The result is so good that I was confused. I told to mu self try for a month and then post it in the forum. But when I see this thread I want to help and share.

Please note that, I am a very stiff person in general, did not read the entire book either. So I don’t want to give wrong advice, indeed I am more curious and open to correction or critics.

The increased ROM in 24 hours in very short two application is really too good to be true. Maybe I am missing sth, or maybe I have a problem that the protocol really cures for some reason. It is really too good to be true.

The book has a section about posture correction that I even did not read!

I am really confused, with this protocol I feel like I can gain mobility that I did not have since high school.

As a side note, the book has some very bold statements that honestly I found ridiculous. For the movement biceps and shoulder stretch specifically. Book says don’t hurt yourself because you can over stretch. I have decided to give it a go after that sentence at night. Because the sentence I really did not believe and felt a bit cheated. I tried my self, Pavel was right. From very stiff shoulders in 1 minute I was concerned that I am about to overstretch… my mouth literally was open …. On Saturday night alone in the living room of my house, I felt as if seeing an UFO…

PS: Wall slides are a movement that I have tried in past to do regularly, painfully for me with Zero success. I have tried wall slides hopelessly a few times last week, they were really discouraging.

Imagine a person can not do pull ups, then reads a protocol, go to the bar, and do the pull up. That is how I feel surprised and can not believe. ( well honestly SF tension protocol is great, delvers 100% for me, this stretching prtocol delivers 200% …) I hope this peotocol continue to work, so that I can have mobility to start S&S sooner than I believe.

Best;

Ege

Last edited:
This is a kevism but try training your neck if you don’t already. Use a harness, do headstands, learn bridging. A strong neck keeps your head up and it’s tough to slouch with your head up.

Hi;

I have used The following stretches: TheOverheadReach............p.67 The Biceps and Shoulder Stretch. . . . p. 68 The Shoulder Blade and Lat Stretch . p. 69 TheUpperBackLoosener......... p.71

I tested my self immediately in wall slides ( Not in Pavel’s book) first time in life showed an amazing (to my standards) ROM, so I have applied Pavel protocol to the wall slide as well.

In the morning I felt so good, today during noon time I used above during Karen’s SF BW program ( in her program she says do mobility but does not specify)

Dinner time, I felt improved posture, tried again wall slide, could not believe the ROM. The result is so good that I was confused. I told to mu self try for a month and then post it in the forum. But when I see this thread I want to help and share.

Please note that, I am a very stiff person in general, did not read the entire book either. So I don’t want to give wrong advice, indeed I am more curious and open to correction or critics.

The increased ROM in 24 hours in very short two application is really too good to be true. Maybe I am missing sth, or maybe I have a problem that the protocol really cures for some reason. It is really too good to be true.

I am really confused, with this protocol I feel like I can gain mobility that I did not have since high school.

As a side note, the book has some very bold statements that honestly I found ridiculous. For the movement biceps and shoulder stretch specifically. Book says don’t hurt yourself because you can over stretch. I have decided to give it a go after that sentence at night. Because the sentence I really did not believe and felt a bit cheated. I tried my self, Pavel was right. From very stiff shoulders in 1 minute I was concerned that I am about to overstretch… my mouth literally was open …. On Saturday night alone in the living room of my house, I felt as if seeing an UFO…

PS: Wall slides are a movement that I have tried in past to do regularly, painfully for me with Zero success. I have tried wall slides hopelessly a few times last week, they were really discouraging.

Imagine a person can not do pull ups, then reads a protocol, go to the bar, and do the pull up. That is how I feel surprised and can not believe. ( well honestly SF tension protocol is great, delvers 100% for me, this stretching prtocol delivers 200% …) I hope this peotocol continue to work, so that I can have mobility to start S&S sooner than I believe.

Best;

Ege
Thanks Ege, I have Relax into Stretch, but I always seem to forget about it. I will try incorporating the moves you suggest into my evening routine for a while and see what happens. Thanks

Hi;

Best;

Ege

Great post -- thank you @Ege !

I got to practice these miraculous things at Flexible Steel a couple of weeks ago, and yes it is amazing. (I still need to do a post on that...)

Thanks for the reminder of what is in the book, Relax into Stretch. I am going to do some of the pages/stretches you mentioned TODAY.

Original strength resets fixed my posture almost instantly after years of trying.

Posture is an expression of the CNS not a position you consciously hold.

BREATHING properly is the key. If your diaphragm is doing its job, other muscles won't become active to take over.

- learn to breathe
- tongue on roof of mouth (helps posture)
- do the other Resets daily
Hey, seen you mention this in a few places.

What exactly do you do? X mins/reps of each, or just by feel? Do you usually do one variation of each of the 5 or a few or rotate them? Etc.

Hi;

Best;

Ege
And p51 for hang protocol. Hope it works for everyone tries.

Hey, seen you mention this in a few places.

What exactly do you do? X mins/reps of each, or just by feel? Do you usually do one variation of each of the 5 or a few or rotate them? Etc.
I normally set a timer to beep every two minutes for ten minutes. Then I go through each standard reset for the set amount of time. Just the "vanilla" versions. THen, two minutes variety at the end. Breathing with tongue on roof of mouth throughout. Might look like this:

1. Prone head nods
2. Quadruped Rocking
3. Rolling
4. Crawling (baby, lizard)
5. Variety**

** Maybe I do one reset for two minutes, or mix it up until I hear the beep. Often I try a bunch until I find one that feels really good on the day and keep doing that. Favourites include: frog roll, shin box, shin box rotations, tactical frog style rocking, etc

Strapping during your downtime can help. Consciously working on posture when you lift and then mentally prompting yourself during off hours will work better, ultimately the strap is not really passive correction long term, should be viewed as a cueing aid.

Hi, and apologies for a slight thread hijack.

I have had a shoulder niggle for a few months, and reading this thread made me realise how I did it:

I practiced this stretch for about a week, and it seems I overstretched each time.

Could anyone recommend any way of rehabbing such an injury?

Thanks,
Alex

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom