all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strapping, Posture Correction, Rounded Shoulders

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Vouw. It is really dangerous ?! I am sorry to hear.

Those injuries are very tricky. Some one can suggest you sth with good intentions. But it can guide you to wrong direction.

It is only you who can judge. I have a few minor injuries which I brush off, try to exercise around them and they most of time go away with a little bit of exercise. But three months ago, during a squat a very bad noise came from my knee. I knew it was bad. Waited a month. It was really “different” went to doc. They put me in to surgery immideatly and told me that if I have waited a few months more, it would be very bad for my knee…

Some injuries might be serious.

Listen to your self and see a doctor…. Sorry.

I have been using since three days. And I am literally stopping some stretches because the stretches are beyond, really beyond my normal ROM…

I'm with @bluejeff on this one.
My two cents would be that 1) rounded shoulders often result from inactive serratus anterior 2) if you're already doing some strength work that involves triple extension, the back musculature needs inhibition, not strengthening (at least that's my case).
I would recommend two things:
a) if you have time and energy, I would take a deep dive into PRI and find techniques that I right for you. ribcage-pelvis relationship is the key. Just remember not to do flexion work after lifting.
b) if you're time- and energy constrained do some crawling with focus on shoulder protraction, ribcage expansion, and even ribcage-pelvis positioning. Do it regularly, and check for results after a few weeks.

And be mindful - I'm just a random guy on the Internet, I'm basing solely on my particular limitations and how I manage to overcome them.

@Pasibrzuch PRI ? I googled and found this

The first page I found looked a bit daunting, but there are some freebies to help understand things a bit better.

Thanks, will have a read and a look around.
yes, I shouldn't have used the abbreviation.
I recommend you videos by Neal Hallinan and Conor Harris - they do a great job at explaining the conundrum human body is and provide you with techniques and exercises.

PS: Wall slides are a movement that I have tried in past to do regularly, painfully for me with Zero success. I have tried wall slides hopelessly a few times last week, they were really discouraging.
@Ege I'm with you on this one, been doing wall slides for a year now with extremely slow progress.

After reading your post I tried the breathing and stretching book you recommended. Thanks very much for the tip about the book. Will apply to other stretches and read the whole book.

Quite amazing, did tests on a couple of simple stretches astonishing results. Anybody understand why that works ?

Last edited:
Basically telling your nervous system to take the brakes off, is how I understand it.
When I was rowing, in the Concept2 forums the idea of a "central governor" in your brain was sometimes discussed, this "governor" prohibited maximum efforts unless a genuine emergency was involved.

Some people said that if you wanted to do a personal best there were ways of tricking this central governor into allowing an absolute maximum effort - your idea of taking the brakes off sounds similar but not quite as extreme.

Found it, some papers here
physical effort central governor - Google Search

@Valley Ninja I am not familiar with the book Relax into Stretch, so I am not exactly sure what stretch you are referring to, although I likely have seen it before. I would definitely see a professional.

Another two cents here: whenever stretching, it is extremely important to feel the stretch sensation in the muscle belly, NOT in the joints. Most injuries are joint injuries.

@BillSteamshovel
+1 to PRI resources. As @Pasibrzuch said, Neal Hallinan (pritrainer.com) does a great job of laying out the basic principles of how the different parts of your body are related to posture.

@Ege I'm with you on this one, been doing wall slides for a year now with extremely slow progress.

After reading your post I tried the breathing and stretching book you recommended. Thanks very much for the tip about the book. Will apply to other stretches and read the whole book.

Quite amazing, did tests on a couple of simple stretches astonishing results. Anybody understand why that works ?
You are welcome. The book has many detailed protocol explanations from Pavel. And the protocols make the difference for me. Breathing but also isometrically flexing. Difficult to summarize the protocols for me since I am no expert. But Pavel’s “relax in to stretch “ book really works like a miracle so far in three days.

When I was rowing, in the Concept2 forums the idea of a "central governor" in your brain was sometimes discussed, this "governor" prohibited maximum efforts unless a genuine emergency was involved.

Some people said that if you wanted to do a personal best there were ways of tricking this central governor into allowing an absolute maximum effort - your idea of taking the brakes off sounds similar but not quite as extreme.

Found it, some papers here
physical effort central governor - Google Search
This is a central concept to a lot of what Pavel has talked about for decades. The practice of lifting helps move that governor in the direction of lifting more weights. He says it's pretty critical to have that governor, as our muscles technically have enough strength already to damage our bodies if they are not held back, but the more practice you put in the more you can open that governor up.

Another two cents here: whenever stretching, it is extremely important to feel the stretch sensation in the muscle belly, NOT in the joints. Most injuries are joint injuries.
Thanks, that idea floored me, I reckon that ought to be put up in lights in a permanent sticky somewhere for everyone to consider.

A simple as it sounds, and I realise this makes me look like a right Silly Numpty, I never really thought about it and assumed I was stretching when very probably all I was really doing with some stretches was hurting my shoulder.

That why I post in forums to get access to nuggets like that, and many of the other tips in this thread.

Will read the book again with this new understanding.

....... it's pretty critical to have that governor, as our muscles technically have enough strength already to damage our bodies if they are not held back, but the more practice you put in the more you can open that governor up.

Thanks......... and I guess that fits in with the idea that various tendinopathies are caused by your muscles being stronger than your tendons and newbie overuse injuries are a symptom of that ie my phyiso told me to lay off the pullups and do some isometrics and other exercises if I wanted the golfers elbow to get better.

I'm with @bluejeff on this one.
My two cents would be that 1) rounded shoulders often result from inactive serratus anterior

Full ROM push ups (cue 'reach' at the top) do a pretty good job with the serratus anterior.

If my torso feels out of alignment for whatever reason, I'll do some push ups.

The PPT of the push up position plus activation of the serratus seems to snap my lumbo-thoracic alignment back into place.

It's not just your brain / higher functions.

A lot of the motor unit action is inhibited locally via the Golgi tendon organs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom