all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength Aerobics vs "Iron wolf burpees" vs "standard aerobic training"

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@pet' thanks. There's nothing specific I am preparing for; I would just like to expand my fitness into other areas. I think at some point I'll get back to some light jogging; I just haven't yet. I think it's a "skill" that is generally useful and I would hate to NOT have if I needed it for something.

I think some of what I am looking for with this aspect of training is "preparation for unforseen circumstances," whether that is moving furniture or being able to move in an emergency. I also want to build some of this as a base as I start to get towards middle age.

My apologies for jumping in here at the end, but I have been wondering about many of the same issues as OP.

Would some LISS and Q&D training accomplish @Anna C’s recommendation of 80% of LISS (Z1-2) and only 20% of HIT (Z5)?

Would it be unreasonable to try to add in some low volume maximal strength work on top of this? I have been training barbell lifts (mostly Easy Strength style) for the past year or so and have been making good progress and would like to keep that going. Between a recent bought of COVID and playing more basketball with my son, it’s become apparent I’ve been neglecting my endurance.

OP’s question suggested a desire to build endurance without neglecting strength- which is my exact concern.

Hope this question is appropriate to tack on to the end of this thread and thanks in advance for your responses.

@pet' thanks. There's nothing specific I am preparing for; I would just like to expand my fitness into other areas. I think at some point I'll get back to some light jogging; I just haven't yet. I think it's a "skill" that is generally useful and I would hate to NOT have if I needed it for something.

I think some of what I am looking for with this aspect of training is "preparation for unforseen circumstances," whether that is moving furniture or being able to move in an emergency. I also want to build some of this as a base as I start to get towards middle age.
The wolfs programs develop a grit I’ve only really tapped into since I’ve started running. A Herculean effort to keep banging out sets to beat your last attempt or hit a target. The 5 pump program I liked best had jogging on the spot between sets.

My strength aerobics today will be:
  • chopping firewood
  • carrying firewood
  • stacking firewood
I don't really know my 1RM for a maul, though?

In about 30-45 minutes, I can usually do a cord of wood, depending on how stubborn some of the rounds are to being split.

By the time I'm finished, the brisket should be done smoking.

Hello @bluejeff

Are you more looking forward a bodyweight routine or a weight routine ? Or a mix of both ?

By the way, I like @watchnerd 's one : after the effort, the reward !

Kind regards,

Pet'

My strength aerobics today will be:
  • chopping firewood
  • carrying firewood
  • stacking firewood
I don't really know my 1RM for a maul, though?

In about 30-45 minutes, I can usually do a cord of wood, depending on how stubborn some of the rounds are to being split.

By the time I'm finished, the brisket should be done smoking.
That sounds nice. I'm living that city apartment college student life right now though. . .
Hello @bluejeff

Are you more looking forward a bodyweight routine or a weight routine ? Or a mix of both ?

By the way, I like @watchnerd 's one : after the effort, the reward !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Mostly bodyweight. I'm thinking something SA/burpee style with bodyweight moves (maybe progressing to a weight vest) combined with low rep squats and deadlifts (probably alternating days).

I also want to build some of this as a base as I start to get towards middle age.
This article by Peter Attia might be of interest to you.
A few years back I did bi-weekly sessions where I'd skip rope for 60 seconds, KB swings / goblet squats (10/10), then 60s of box steps. I used a HRM to stay in Z2 and would just slow or speed up the pace accordingly. I'd do this for 30-45 minutes per session and felt pretty good for day to day activities. Perhaps trying a little circuit w/IW burpees in the mix as an experiment is in order.

I love my ‘high’ vo2max. But i would love to just doing this kind of conditioning and see whats happen.

I haven't been that impressed with the ability of 100-200 heavy kettlebell swings to build much real world general endurance.

It's better than nothing, but it's too mentally monotonous and not multi-planar enough.

A couple hours of landscaping a week, digging holes, hauling bags of potting soil, shoveling dirt, pushing the wheel barrow, and planting trees is far more multi dimensional, IMHO.

One stop shops are tough to get.

Strength Aerobics, as per the article (I'm not sure if there has been a change?), uses a 10 RM bell for 1 rep at a time. It's not really cardiovascular oriented at all; it is not dynamic or continuous in nature, focuses on "grinds" instead, and won't have the same physiological effect. I'm not bashing it; I just mean if you are looking for cardiovascular specific adaptations in terms of preload, dynamic nature, etc there are better choices
I kind of think of this as a continuum in regards to central adaptations if this helps

afterload dominant ------------- pre load dominant
grinds ----- ballistics/power ----- loose, dynamic activity
Well said Sir!

One rep with a 10RM. Why would your heartrate stay elevated?
My 1RM press is 32 kg (although it’s been a while). I’ve tried something very simple, just alternating sides in the 16 kg clean and press singles. Give it a try. No long rests in the rack, just keep doing singles as it you were doing only a few but then keep going.

I look forward to your report.

-S-

I’ll chime in for locomotion work as it does a few things:
  • Your body is designed to walk (a lot) or easy jogs with occasional sprints
  • It is good for your mental health and gets you outside and moving around (treadmills would be less ideal)
  • I find it restorative between sessions of strength and/or power work
I’ve noted the following real world changes adopting LISS
  • I am a karateka have noted quickened recovery between rounds and less fatigue during the sparing match.
  • Sleep is improved
  • Less muscle soreness
As had been noted, there really is not actual one stop shop. No hacks, no gaming the system, no short cuts to long term health. I don’t think this component can be understated. Punch the clock on this one and enjoy the dividends.

I’ll chime in for locomotion work as it does a few things:
  • Your body is designed to walk (a lot) or easy jogs with occasional sprints
  • It is good for your mental health and gets you outside and moving around (treadmills would be less ideal)
  • I find it restorative between sessions of strength and/or power work
I’ve noted the following real world changes adopting LISS
  • I am a karateka have noted quickened recovery between rounds and less fatigue during the sparing match.
  • Sleep is improved
  • Less muscle soreness
As had been noted, there really is not actual one stop shop. No hacks, no gaming the system, no short cuts to long term health. I don’t think this component can be understated. Punch the clock on this one and enjoy the dividends.
Many of the things you mention is the same Joel Jamieson writes.
HIIT is ok but its still the LISS training that gives you fx:
Faster recovery between rounds and less fatigue during the sparing match.

@Brett Jones

Personally, I think @Anna C has asked the right question here. I don't do much the qualifies as traditional aerobics, but I have "enough cardio" by any measure that matters to me. My main "cardio" is swinging a kettlebell, typically sets on-the-minute.

-S-
If that's all you need, then that's great.

But the overall level of conditioning that would result from just that would be pretty low to low-mod on the spectrum. But if that's all you need/ want then that's good.

Though I believe you've mentioned you walk quite long distances, relatively vigorously quite often, so I wouldn't discount that

My apologies for jumping in here at the end, but I have been wondering about many of the same issues as OP.

Would some LISS and Q&D training accomplish @Anna C’s recommendation of 80% of LISS (Z1-2) and only 20% of HIT (Z5)?

Would it be unreasonable to try to add in some low volume maximal strength work on top of this? I have been training barbell lifts (mostly Easy Strength style) for the past year or so and have been making good progress and would like to keep that going. Between a recent bought of COVID and playing more basketball with my son, it’s become apparent I’ve been neglecting my endurance.

OP’s question suggested a desire to build endurance without neglecting strength- which is my exact concern.

Hope this question is appropriate to tack on to the end of this thread and thanks in advance for your responses.
This is a simple one.

Strength train 3 x per week with your barbell program

LISS 3 x per week

You'll pick the low hanging fruit very quickly and have a good strength and endurance AND health base very quickly

This is a simple one.

Strength train 3 x per week with your barbell program

LISS 3 x per week

You'll pick the low hanging fruit very quickly and have a good strength and endurance AND health base very quickly
This og 2x LISS and 1x Higher intensity. HIIT or tempo run.

This og 2x LISS and 1x Higher intensity. HIIT or tempo run.
Correct, after 8-12 weeks of 3 x LISS, you then switch to 2 x LISS (one longer than the other), and 1 x tempo or higher (cycling varipus intervals, probably various tempo variations e.g. 2 x 10, 2 x 15, 1 x 20, 2 x 20 etc; then various V02 0ace intervals)

Also, if you ever get either your strength or endurance to where you want it (say it's lower priority than the other attribute), then switch to 2x weekly for maintenance, and do the other 4x.

Correct, after 8-12 weeks of 3 x LISS, you then switch to 2 x LISS (one longer than the other), and 1 x tempo or higher (cycling varipus intervals, probably various tempo variations e.g. 2 x 10, 2 x 15, 1 x 20, 2 x 20 etc; then various V02 0ace intervals)

Also, if you ever get either your strength or endurance to where you want it (say it's lower priority than the other attribute), then switch to 2x weekly for maintenance, and do the other 4x.
The C&J protocol of BJJ Fanatics program comes to mind here (provided that your C&J are up to snuff).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom