all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength Aerobics vs "Iron wolf burpees" vs "standard aerobic training"

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think you are right in focusing on doing exercises and programs that you think are more or less fun.

There are really so many things you can do if you want to improve your conditioning:

If you want to use kettlebells you can always use snatch and jerks.

And if you want to try running I recommend running in stairs.

Breathing is paramount. Diaphragmatic breathing during exercise and transverse work will help you to make your stomach more "flat". If breathing has a positive impact on your health, then no matter what, keep going.
Is there a resource you could share? I would like to know more. Thank you.

Check out Second Wind Express for a deeper dive into breathing techniques.

Back in Naked Warrior I believe Pavel discusses power breathing as an entry point to midsection training.

Great point, @pet'

I think you're right, but I wonder if there are any studies on this.... if anyone has shown that there's more or less benefit to staying with one LISS activity vs. a variety of different ones, if health and general fitness is the goal, and not performance in those activities.
Designing the study/metrics/controls would be difficult. One might be able to extrapolate some findings from marathon runners vs. triathletes for example however.

I've done a lot of high rep/long duration kettlebell snatches for 'cardio' in the past. There are still a lot of threads here about it and I'll try to link something later, but I still do 30+ minute sets of 16kg snatches (6-25rpm) from time to time. I can manipulate heart rate to stay in whatever 'zone' I wish (slower pace if I want to stay in the 60-70% range, medium pace for 70-80%, fast pace for 80%+). I really do believe that this work (assuming solid technique and reasonably intelligent programming) is as good as most of the traditional cardio people crank out at the gym or on the road.

Designing the study/metrics/controls would be difficult. One might be able to extrapolate some findings from marathon runners vs. triathletes for example however.

I've done a lot of high rep/long duration kettlebell snatches for 'cardio' in the past. There are still a lot of threads here about it and I'll try to link something later, but I still do 30+ minute sets of 16kg snatches (6-25rpm) from time to time. I can manipulate heart rate to stay in whatever 'zone' I wish (slower pace if I want to stay in the 60-70% range, medium pace for 70-80%, fast pace for 80%+). I really do believe that this work (assuming solid technique and reasonably intelligent programming) is as good as most of the traditional cardio people crank out at the gym or on the road.
There's a difference between having an average heart rate in a certain range, and actually staying in that range continuously though. It's a completely different training effect, not the same thing at all.

With your Snatch sessions, are you getting spikes up and down (work recovery) or staying continuous?

The huge benefit of LISS for performance and health is the continuity, staying at the same level a long time with basically no spikes.

There's a difference between having an average heart rate in a certain range, and actually staying in that range continuously though. It's a completely different training effect, not the same thing at all.

With your Snatch sessions, are you getting spikes up and down (work recovery) or staying continuous?

The huge benefit of LISS for performance and health is the continuity, staying at the same level a long time with basically no spikes.
The way he does it, there are no spikes. He has posted it before, but he maintains about 6 RPM, not 6 reps and rest the remainder of the minute, so it is slow continuous work. I tried to copy it once but was way too impatient after a couple minutes.

The way he does it, there are no spikes. He has posted it before, but he maintains about 6 RPM, not 6 reps and rest the remainder of the minute, so it is slow continuous work. I tried to copy it once but was way too impatient after a couple minutes.
That's what I recalled too...

I can manipulate heart rate to stay in whatever 'zone' I wish (slower pace if I want to stay in the 60-70% range, medium pace for 70-80%, fast pace for 80%+). I really do believe that this work (assuming solid technique and reasonably intelligent programming) is as good as most of the traditional cardio people crank out at the gym or on the road.
And I would mostly agree, in this case.

Though for most types of kettlebell snatches, I think it would be different.

Definitely not a yes or no thing... more of a continuum. In my mind, it's like a C2 rower. You can pull a rower easy and steady at a medium or fast cadence and it will be like LISS cycling or running. Or, you can pull a rower really hard/fast, but slow cadence. Then it's more like continuous kettlebell snatches. And of course there are many degrees in between.

This is a 2 hour effort - 16kg kettlebell, 1200 reps, 10 reps per minute, not setting the bell down at all ("resting" w. the bell overhead when not actively snatching). Max HR = 157, Avg HR = 143, Cal = 1285.
I believe it is very analogous to cycling or rowing or jogging when done this way.

This is a 2 hour effort - 16kg kettlebell, 1200 reps, 10 reps per minute, not setting the bell down at all ("resting" w. the bell overhead when not actively snatching). Max HR = 157, Avg HR = 143, Cal = 1285.
I believe it is very analogous to cycling or rowing or jogging when done this way.

This is an interesting approach.... thanks for sharing!

Wow, now I see what you mean. Very unusual, but really cool. In a case like this I guess this does mimic the adaptations of LISS closely.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom