all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength aerobics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LarryB

Level 7 Valued Member
I love the idea behind these and always get inspired watching Mr. Jones’ ig page. It seems like he is running it alongside a sns type program. I get the basic concepts but want to clarify a few things.

1 can or should this be done with doubles? I know Pavel said not to in the original article but I want to hear what people have to say. I want to start drilling my double work more and thought this could be a good solution. Could of course reduce sets.

2 how many is too many and how little is too little?

3 can or should i run this on quick and the dead off days?

Any other insight or anecdotes are welcome as well.

Larry
I have a project I am working on for Strength Aerobics (an ebook likely) and should be shooting pics soon and trying to wrap it up soon.

To your questions:
Yes—I have done SA with doubles and it works well. (Just remember to adjust the stance for the squat)

"It depends" on too many or too little—One way to get started is to set a time frame (let's say 20min) and track number of sets accomplished in that time frame. Make sure you pass the talk test between sets. This will give you a baseline to start from and adjust as needed.

Combined with Q&D—keep the volume lower maybe but it should work.

Larry
I have a project I am working on for Strength Aerobics (an ebook likely) and should be shooting pics soon and trying to wrap it up soon.

To your questions:
Yes—I have done SA with doubles and it works well. (Just remember to adjust the stance for the squat)

"It depends" on too many or too little—One way to get started is to set a time frame (let's say 20min) and track number of sets accomplished in that time frame. Make sure you pass the talk test between sets. This will give you a baseline to start from and adjust as needed.

Very cool, looking forward to it already!

I will likely not be doing it on every off day for qnd as I commute back and forth to school twice a week switching between running and biking. So on those days i would likely just skip lifting. I want to start drilling doubles work and thought this could be a decent combo. I will be sure to watch volume to counter that of my qnd practice.

Last edited:
I love the idea behind these and always get inspired watching Mr. Jones’ ig page. It seems like he is running it alongside a sns type program. I get the basic concepts but want to clarify a few things.

1 can or should this be done with doubles? I know Pavel said not to in the original article but I want to hear what people have to say. I want to start drilling my double work more and thought this could be a good solution. Could of course reduce sets.

2 how many is too many and how little is too little?

3 can or should i run this on quick and the dead off days?

Any other insight or anecdotes are welcome as well.
Pavel calls the C&J plan in the BJJ Fanatics product Strength Aerobics, and this plan can be done with doubles (for advanced trainees).

I guess some of the stuff Harald Motz does could be considered Strength Aerobics, too. Although he is is closer to his RM during his marathon sessions than what us mortals would be able to do.

And that is great news @Brett Jones !

Pavel calls the C&J plan in the BJJ Fanatics product Strength Aerobics, and this plan can be done with doubles (for advanced trainees).

I guess some of the stuff Harald Motz does could be considered Strength Aerobics, too. Although he is is closer to his RM during his marathon sessions than what us mortals would be able to do.

And that is great news @Brett Jones !
I’m reading return of the kettlebell right now too so the cnj is appealing. I’ll start a bit more basic for now though.

Larry

To your questions:

@Brett Jones- I really enjoyed listening to your recent breakthrough podcast interview.

Is there any further information on when and where the Strength Aerobics protocol will be published please?

I tried this out this morning. I like it. I’m currently doing S&S and wanted to add something to help learn the kb clean. The dead stop clean I find to be pretty straight forward and hopefully good practice for the clean in general. The pressing I think will help my getups, and the squatting, well, squats are always good for my knee. I plan to split my S&S into swings and press ladders ( again with dead stop cleans ) and getups and SA. I’ll try this for the next month and see how it goes.

@Brett Jones- I really enjoyed listening to your recent breakthrough podcast interview.

Is there any further information on when and where the Strength Aerobics protocol will be published please?
SFG Mike Kurkowski (one of the guys doing the interview in that podcast) has a short PDF that covers a pretty interesting Strength Aerobics protocol based on intuitive training techniques on his website: Breakthrough Secrets

I am looking forward to the book by Brett too, but SA by itself seems quite intuitive. Today I wanted to do something that kept my heart rate up but not too hard on my wrists and forearms. So I took a 24kg KB, which should be my 10RM for strict presses and I went at it with a simple clean + press ladder + squat sequence. The press ladder was 1,2,3 (so first round was clean+press+squat with R and then L, next round was clean+pressx2+squat, etc.) and I did that for a total of 30 sets .. took me about 20 mins or so. And I felt great. The reason I described it is because you can come up with any sequence that makes sense for you based on what you feel for that day. Intuitive, creative, and fun. So whenever I dont feel like doing something from a program I am following, I just go with SA.

I know not KB but i use strength aerobis for BW like in the artikel but build it in as a progresiv BW Program in the manner of ROP appraoch. 1. week 3 Rounds 1 2 3 1:1 Work Rest. 2. Week stabilisation. 3. Week 1 Round more. 4. Stabilisation and so on until i Reach the Ladder 1 2 3 4 5 for 5 Rounds. Slow an Steady. So fare i m on the 4 Rounds this Week and also it´s 1 round more then last week i could hold the Time of ruffly 17 Min. So i gusse it works to some point.

Long time listener of Strength Connection (Breakthrough secrets earlier). Great conversations, especially if you are into Kettlebell training. But otherwise too !! I really did like Chris and signed up to one of his programs, but his plans changed and took a side step. Mike's keeping the new podcast going and the conversations are great much like the previous podcast. Both the guys are amazing !

I’m hooked. I’m going to drop the press ladders I was doing and just alternate between swings and SA, and getups and SA during the week. Plenty of practice for cleans, presses and squats and great for the lungs I think. When I can get to 30 rounds each side in 20 min ( I’m at 22 rounds with a 20kg ), i plan on moving up a bell.

I’m hooked. I’m going to drop the press ladders I was doing and just alternate between swings and SA, and getups and SA during the week. Plenty of practice for cleans, presses and squats and great for the lungs I think. When I can get to 30 rounds each side in 20 min ( I’m at 22 rounds with a 20kg ), i plan on moving up a bell.
Follow bret on instagram if your not already. One of the few things i miss about that app.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom