all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength and Running, which program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

erwin

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

Currently I am doing:
  • Mo: Running 30 mins
  • Tu: Strength
  • We: Running 30 mins
  • Thu: Strength
  • Fr: Running 30 min
  • Sa: Running 20min or Strength
  • Su: Off

My strength values are:
  • Squat: 120kg
  • Romanian Deadlift: 110 kg
  • Military Press: 55 kg
  • Bench Press: 70 kg

Generally I am doing my workout in the morning, so I have it done and dont need to think about it during the day.
Every day I do some set of pull ups, push ups und squats and some other movements to warm me up.
On the strenght days I do only 1-2 lifts (Squats, Deadlift or Military Press) 5x5.
Its okay to maintain strength but not really to improve and thats why I want to change.

I want to keep running 3 days a week.
Than I want to have this exercices in my plan:
  • Pull ups
  • Push ups
  • Dips
  • Military Press
  • Deadlift
  • Squats
I could do strength training 3 times a week.
Because I often overload my programs and I have to high expectations on me, I will keep my current plan as "the minimum", just to keep me doing sports.
This time I also want to focus more on processing.
Goals are simple lose fat and get stronger.
So my Question is, is there a program from Pavel that fits my needs?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

Currently I am doing:
  • Mo: Running 30 mins
  • Tu: Strength
  • We: Running 30 mins
  • Thu: Strength
  • Fr: Running 30 min
  • Sa: Running 20min or Strength
  • Su: Off

My strength values are:
  • Squat: 120kg
  • Romanian Deadlift: 110 kg
  • Military Press: 55 kg
  • Bench Press: 70 kg

Generally I am doing my workout in the morning, so I have it done and dont need to think about it during the day.
Every day I do some set of pull ups, push ups und squats and some other movements to warm me up.
On the strenght days I do only 1-2 lifts (Squats, Deadlift or Military Press) 5x5.
Its okay to maintain strength but not really to improve and thats why I want to change.

I want to keep running 3 days a week.
Than I want to have this exercices in my plan:
  • Pull ups
  • Push ups
  • Dips
  • Military Press
  • Deadlift
  • Squats
I could do strength training 3 times a week.
Because I often overload my programs and I have to high expectations on me, I will keep my current plan as "the minimum", just to keep me doing sports.
This time I also want to focus more on processing.
Goals are simple lose fat and get stronger.

Thank you very much.
People will give you many answers to your question.
Here is mine:
  • KB Simple & Sinister 5 days / week
  • LED Running 3-4 days / week (progressing to at least one 60+min run / week)
  • Lose Fat - kitchen

Squats
Run
Active recovery
Pull ups & Push ups
Run
Active recovery
Deadlifts
Run
Active recovery
Military press
Run
Dips
Active recovery
Kitchen a la offwidth

Not a Pavel program.

Reload may come closest, but some caveats:

If you really want to work on strength, you can't really work on running at the same time. You can run... but it has be easy, non-stressful running that doesn't require its own recovery. Strength-building requires recovery. By the same token, if you wanted to really work on your running, you could "do" strength exercises at the same time... but they would have to be easy-ish, and non-stressful (Not the kind that progressively builds your strength), so that your body can put its recovery resources towards increasing your running capabilities. Pick your focus. It sounds like you want to focus on strength.

Of your list of exercises you want in your plan, the Military Press, Deadlift, and Squats will get you the most general strength adaptations. Since your goal is to get overall stronger (and not to specifically have a stronger weighted pull-up, for instance), then these 3 are the biggest bang for the buck and will drive the overall strength gains. Not to say you can't do the others at all, but I'd be more inclined to say do dips, pul.-ups, etc. as a finisher to your main strength session, and don't be too concerned with the programming or progression of them.

So I'd say do Reload with the "big 3" of deadlift, press, and squat, and sprinkle in your other stuff in a non-stressful way. Focus on recovery and eat and sleep well. You'll get stronger.

Were those values you gave for your strength values the weights you're currently using for 5x5, or were those 1RMs?

@offwidth
thanks for the tipp, but I dont have kb.

@Don Fairbanks
thank you too, that looks similar to my program.

If you really want to work on strength, you can't really work on running at the same time. You can run... but it has be easy, non-stressful running that doesn't require its own recovery. Strength-building requires recovery. By the same token, if you wanted to really work on your running, you could "do" strength exercises at the same time... but they would have to be easy-ish, and non-stressful (Not the kind that progressively builds your strength), so that your body can put its recovery resources towards increasing your running capabilities. Pick your focus. It sounds like you want to focus on strength.

I do running only in the range of 125-150 bpm, so its not that hard.
I just want to get my basic endurance better. Is this a problem?

Of your list of exercises you want in your plan, the Military Press, Deadlift, and Squats will get you the most general strength adaptations. Since your goal is to get overall stronger (and not to specifically have a stronger weighted pull-up, for instance), then these 3 are the biggest bang for the buck and will drive the overall strength gains. Not to say you can't do the others at all, but I'd be more inclined to say do dips, pul.-ups, etc. as a finisher to your main strength session, and don't be too concerned with the programming or progression of them.

So I'd say do Reload with the "big 3" of deadlift, press, and squat, and sprinkle in your other stuff in a non-stressful way. Focus on recovery and eat and sleep well. You'll get stronger.
Thank you Anna, that looks like a good plan for me.
I will get the reload program and post here if I have any questions left.

Were those values you gave for your strength values the weights you're currently using for 5x5, or were those 1RMs?
I use the weights for 5x5.

I do running only in the range of 125-150 bpm, so its not that hard.
I just want to get my basic endurance better. Is this a problem?

BPM range will help keep it non-stressful. Nose breathing can also be a good guide. The real key to this is your recovery. I'm dealing with the same thing now myself. Running about 30 minutes at a time, trying to keep the effort about MAF (125-130ish for me, I'm 52). A harder run and I'm not fresh the next day for lifting... it clearly affects what I can do that next day. No good, if the reason for my lifting is to get stronger. (Actually currently I'm more skill-building with weightlifting than strength-building focus... but I've had the same experience while strength-building with basic barbell lifts). So keep it to an easy effort that makes you feel the rest of that day as if you hadn't done anything, and the next day as if you had a rest day. Slowly you'll build more endurance, but don't try to build it as fast as you could if that was your primary focus. Just let it happen by putting in the time, not by pushing anything. And if you REALLY want to maximize your strength gains, forego the running entirely for a 6 week Reload cycle. It will come back, and your strength gains will probably be better this way. But how much better... or how much you'd "lose" by not running... is hard to say, and very individual. Neither way is right or wrong, it's just a matter of priorities.

Having been an on-and-off runner all my life (in recent years more off than on), I can also say that it matters a LOT if you're a regular runner or not. If you're pretty regular with it and have been for years, then sure, run. There will be no set-backs from including easy running with whatever else you're doing. It may even enhance your recovery. But if you haven't run in years and you want to do a "couch-to-5k" program... that will require lots of your body's attention and recovery resources. Often times when we try to characterize running in an overall training program we fail to adequately account for this vast difference.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I can do the runs, because they are light and I dont feel like they are influncing my strength progression. But if this would change, I could also skip them or do cycling or something lighter.

Perhaps undulate the fatigue through the week. Instead of always running on separate days from strength, do both on the same day for a hard day, only one or the other for a medium day, and a reduced volume/intensity of only one or the other for a light day.

Perhaps: M,H,L,H,L,M,L

if I separate strength and endurance workouts, I move my body every day. if I do them on the same day, I move my body only once and then I have a free day where I don't move.

Have you ever thought about a step loading strength program? This is where you do not add weight onto the bar until you are absolutely dominating your working weight.

You can so this everyday as the only time you will feel beat up from this us 1, when you first start the program 2, when you make a jump in weight and 3, when you rotate lifts.

This is designed ideal if you are balancing different training goals simultaneously. This way 1 type of training doesn't take away from another.

An example week could be like so:
Monday - Friday.
AM - 20-60min easy run
PM - strength session

Saturday.
AM - 120min ruck

Sunday.
AM - 120min walk

Example strength session:
Bench Press 5×5
Deadlift 5×5
Pull Ups 5×5

Every 12-24 weeks rotate the lifts. So for example:
Floor Press 5×5
Snatch Grip Deadlifts 5×5
Chin Ups 5×5

This way you can progress strength and endurance simultaneously.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom