all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Strength endurance vs Maximal Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Was having a conversation with a guy I used to train with..I was talking about the value of low reps heavy works and S and S. This guy is a pure volume guy if you do 100 burpees this week it's 200 next week. I haven't trained SE for push ups or chins in a long time. We did a workout there and I think he thought he would have blasted me with his volume. We were doing circuits with push ups burpees, bear crawls and dumbell presses. I didn't have a problem.. he wasn't interested in don't anylon barbell lifts but as I haven't trained se in a while he was surprised I could keep up with him...

Hello,

@conor78
I used to do high rep set with bodyweight exercises. To be precise, I used to do 5 sets of maximum rep - 1 (to avoid failure) with only 25s rest between each set. I did this for pull ups, push ups, pistol squat, dragon flag.

What does this do ?

First it build a strong muscular endurance (you ability do to X times the same move) in the same amount of time. That is to say : if in 1 minute I can do 20 pull ups a day. The day after I can do 21, then I am stronger because I lift more weight in the same time. It is called the "increasing density".

It builds a good aerobic base because it made me work anti-glycolytic way.

Then when I switched to low rep, this type of training led me to 1 pull up with 48kg added (bdw 64).

You could keep up with him because if you are "de-loaded" you need less force than you are capable of deliver. So you can "split" it for doing more reps with lighter load.

To some extents, the reverse is also true anyway.

Neither is "good" or "bad". From my experience, both lead to an increase in strength endurance and max strength.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom