all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength followed by Power...How Long?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alaska80

Level 6 Valued Member
I know that the ideal is to train power first then train strength, but that assumption is largely based on contiguous training.

My question is, if one trains strength around 10-12 in the morning how much later could one train power for it to be fully or almost fully effective?

I know that the ideal is to train power first then train strength, but that assumption is largely based on contiguous training.

My question is, if one trains strength around 10-12 in the morning how much later could one train power for it to be fully or almost fully effective?
24-48 hours later, depending on what is being trained.

My answer would be "it depends," but also that it probably doesn't matter.

It depends on the details of the training, what you are prioritizing, how much overlap there is between the drills involved, and how "high-level" the training is.

Basically, you just don't want to be too fatigued to generate high power in your power training.

But in most contexts and for most purposes, it really doesn't matter. Most regular person training (Dan John quadrant III) is just not that sensitive to how theoretically optimal the conditions are.

If you look at a lot of athletic 2-a-day schedules, I think you'll find mid-morning and mid-to-late afternoon pretty common. If I had to pick a number, I'd say 6 hours. One after breakfast, the other before dinner, that sort of thing.

-S-

It really depends.

In the literature, one is recommended to rest 48-72h after a heavy squat session. And power is recommended to be trained totally fresh.

Then again, one can get decent results with less rest. I would just go based on feel. Or if your power training is measurable, train so that you don't fall far from your typical effort.

I can't remember where I read this, but explosive/high speed training is best done >5 hours after waking. I like to ease into my morning so anecdotally this fits with my experience

I can't remember where I read this, but explosive/high speed training is best done >5 hours after waking. I like to ease into my morning so anecdotally this fits with my experience
This is one of the joys of being retired!

There’s really a plethora of details that will shape the answer to this into different forms.

Where would you rate yourself on the speed/strength spectrum?

It is often said “easier to make a fast athlete strong than a strong athlete fast.” However canna athlete lose speed by focusing too much on strength..what is too much?

The real answer is…when it’s best. Track and field practice always happened after 7 hours of school for me. I was always pretty fast and had decent jump distances (11.2 seconds in 100 meter, 20 ft. 6 in. long jump) but these numbers (my best) came after I started getting stronger.

Generally, power training should come first…because it requires the most adrenaline and generally, the highest energy cost.Plus it’s been known to potentiate strength work that follows.

Power training should trigger your bodies ability to “fire on all gears” immmediately. This is stressful, but also an invaluable strength trait. Strong medicine-take in light doses.

Let us also note that some power exercises are less stressful to the body. Jumps and throws have different costs then power cleans and push presses and swings. Joint stress may be even more accentuated with power training then in strength training due to the adrenaline, sudden impact and quick movements. Warmup may be more necessary for sprints then a daily moderately heavy deadlift done GTG style.

The ability to react and act quickly, as developed by training for power, is a….powerful tool but when misused, can lead to brash, bullish actions. A little restraint, when necessary, is advised.

If I were to organize my training in split sessions, I’d prefer the easiest thing done early in the day. For me, this would be mobility or repetition work. This is a “warmup” for the day ahead of me, basically.

The heavy work comes after the heavy work of the day ie having a full time blue collar job with hours ranging from 2 a.m. to 10 p.m.

I like to begin my heavy sessions, in the evening, with power work. There are unlimited options here. Jumps, Plyo push-ups, throws of all directions, bounding, swings…These shouldn’t be all out….they should invigorate and awaken the body to be sharp and precise, not uncontrolled and rampant.

Anyways, enough on that. I haven’t posted in a while. Splurge.

If you look at a lot of athletic 2-a-day schedules, I think you'll find mid-morning and mid-to-late afternoon pretty common. If I had to pick a number, I'd say 6 hours. One after breakfast, the other before dinner, that sort of thing.

-S-
100%

Especially in the off season where an athlete is doing less SPP and they are focusing on GPP to build their base.

Quite often a an athlete would have a strict, strength focused session and a separate plyometrics session.

Thanks all.

My initial instinct was to follow what @Steve Freides said, so thanks Steve for corroborating what I thought. It seems a few here hold to that general philosophy. I am definitely a QIII human, so I understand that I do not need to reap maximal (QIV) benefit from a power session.

I like a few of you feel like my power is at its peak early evening, around 1600-1700. I am not currently training power specifically, mostly complexes, but want to run a barbell/kettlebell power cycle in January.

I have woken up early (0400ish) my whole life, but mornings hate me and I hate mornings. So power in the AM is not my ideal.

Currently this is what I am doing:

M/W/F: [AM Weighted walk/ruck],[1100ish: McGill 3, Loaded carries and barbell (Geoff Neupert Barbell Bolt On)],[1700ish: More Kettlebell Muscle, Clean'em Up]. GTG mobility throughout the day.

T/Th: [AM: LSS 45 min], [3x20 min walk sessions, McGill 3 and Loaded Carries broken up throughout the day between 0600-1630]

Sat: Hike, Ski, play something outside with my kids, or be lazy and play video/board games with my kids if it's -30F or more.

Sun: Usually have a heavy impromptu plyometric workout (sprinting, jumping in barefoot shoes on a concrete floor) playing with 30+ teenagers, duration 45-60 min.

For the power block in the New Year, I basically just want to keep the same template and switch the complexes out with a power workout in the evening.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom