all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Strength for Competitive 1-Mile to 10K (6.2 Mi) Runner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@bill5xc :
don´t overcomplicate things. try out different moves/exercises, find out what you like and work with them. after a while you will want to vary them. if running is your main activity, then run. assistance training is just assistance. it won´t make you a better runner.

@bill5xc :
don´t overcomplicate things. try out different moves/exercises, find out what you like and work with them. after a while you will want to vary them. if running is your main activity, then run. assistance training is just assistance. it won´t make you a better runner.
Unless of course one is training for short track distances...

@bill5xc, a few thoughts for you.

In addition to reading Kettlebell Simple and Sinister, I also recommend you read Tim Ferris' "Four Hour Body". The latter book will, I think, give you some idea of how to figure out what works for you.

I don't believe you should fault yourself for weighing 145 lbs. and having Achilles trouble - the Achilles is doing a lot of work in someone running 5:00 miles at any weight.

A general strength program is a solid choice for you now. When you have a college coach, you'll hopefully be getting advice on addressing your specific weaknesses; in the meantime, things like good old calf raises should be on your program, added cautiously, but they may help with Achilles issues.

Do S&S, do Power To The People!, do any one of the many solid programs you'll find in our blog articles. Do something basic, and put in your miles in a way that helps, not hinders, your Achilles. It would be great if you could take one of our 1-day courses in order to learn how to move your body well and strongly. The kettlebell course should be your first choice. Or work in person with one of our certified instructors. We have some, although you'd likely be working with them long-distance, who are or have been track and field athletes.

The very worst thing you could possibly do for yourself, worse than doing nothing, is trying to train through an injury and making that injury worse. It's really better to sit on the couch than to do that.

-S-

Thank you for all your help, guys. For the time being, I will ask (read: plead with) my parents for a copy of S&S and a heavier kettlebell. Only once I build a solid foundation of strength will I try more complicated things. After all, doing just about anything will help a beginner. While I am doing S&S, I will continue to practice planche progressions, but I will stop if I feel they are interfering with my training. Also, I'm going to do some PT-type to stay healthy. For my weight, I'll stop worrying about the number for now, and instead, I'll focus on maintaining healthy eating habits. To prevent my comfort eating / binging, I'm going to try to find a healthy habit to replace it with. If anyone has suggestions, they are more than welcome.

Also, if anyone has a copy of S&S or a 44 lb kettlebell he/she is willing to part with PLEASE, private message me.

Thank you, and may StrongFirst live forever!!!!!

Thank you for all your help, guys. For the time being, I will ask (read: plead with) my parents for a copy of S&S and a heavier kettlebell. Only once I build a solid foundation of strength will I try more complicated things.

Haha I can totally relate. I started working out in high school and I didn't have the money to buy all the books and equipment people would tell me to get. Ended up doing calisthenics precisely because of budget reasons. Most of the info was out there for free. I didn't even have a pullup bar to begin with. I'd walk to a park.

Nowadays I do have a job and could afford equipment but I still go minimalist. Just like calisthenics better personally I guess.

Cheers man and good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom