all posts post new thread

Old Forum Strength Insight ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I can't say if science supports this, but my practice of late has been to use variations of my competition lift, the deadlift, as warmups.  Specifically, I've been warming up with the hip lift, which is a much shorter ROM and a much heavier weight, and with the Zercher DL, which is a much longer ROM and a lighter weight.  I've been alternating days with these, e.g., Monday, hip lift then DL, Tuesday Zercher DL then DL - this feels good to me.  Part of why is that, while the hip lift makes the DL weight seem lighter, the Zercher DL makes the ROM seem shorter.

Truth be told, I think the Zercher DL helps my regular DL much more than the hip lift but the hip lift is just plain fun to do and I think there is something instructive about pushing until the weight moves, which is what the hip lift is all about.  I'm not going heavy in either, probably 50% of my hip lift' or Zercher's respective 1RM.

-S-

Great topic.  Thanks Al!

Steve- I've experienced similar results when using increased ROM's as my "overload" practice.  In the last 6 months I've gained a crazy amount of additional mobility and stability in my shoulders and hips. I'm finally able to DL in a sumo stance, and am experiencing for the first time how KB front squats are supposed to feel (when not fighting tight hips/glutes and being able to maintain a strong pelvic position).

Practicing some lizard positions, etc., then adding a few beast DL's (about 40% of my bar DL practice weight) from a wider stance than my sumo stance DL's  under the bar makes my sumo DL feel easy in comparison after stabilizing in far greater ROM's.  I like the idea of using the zercher DL as I'll have to hinge even deeper, thanks Steve!

Just an anecdotal point of data, I've been doing S&S fasted more or less since it came out. (Sometimes I will have some gatorade beforehand), and I feel fine and continue to make progress. S&S not being a particularly strenuous workout probably makes this a viable option.

I've noticed this, too.  In fact it comes to mind every time I read a post where someone stays with a weight for an extra week or three to really "own" it - which is counter to my experience.

I find that if I stay with a weight for three extra weeks it starts getting harder, but if I move up to the next weight after two or three weeks the original weight is easy.

Great discussion.

wood ... there is definitely an expiration date on how long you can own a weight for ... the body seeks efficiency.  This is how the easy strength concept works (I think): moderate, moderate, moderate, moderate, moderate, sorta heavy, moderate, moderate, moderate, heavy, moderate, etc.

By plugging in those few heavy-ish sessions, your not only pushing back the expiration date, but, able to make a higher load your new "moderate".

Great observation.

"I find that if I stay with a weight for three extra weeks it starts getting harder, but if I move up to the next weight after two or three weeks the original weight is easy."

wood that happens when the weight is heavy and you are at your rep max.  If you keep something in the tank, you can hold your ground.

Al, spot on:

"This is how the easy strength concept works (I think): moderate, moderate, moderate, moderate, moderate, sorta heavy, moderate, moderate, moderate, heavy, moderate, etc.  By plugging in those few heavy-ish sessions, your not only pushing back the expiration date, but, able to make a higher load your new “moderate”."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom