all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength or Speed?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Striking is highly technique driven, not strength driven. There's a place for it but it shouldn't be the focus unless one needs to gain weight. You'll be better off with a higher percentage of lower load higher rep, and that as a supplemental for conditioning, not hypertrophy.

+1 ^^^^^^^
I've been reading this thread waiting for somebody to bring this up..
If the OP's goal is punching power for instance, say reverse punch, the best way to develop punching power is between you and your instructor, and between your ears. I don't mean this disrespectfully, rather as a reality check getting to the heart of the matter.

If we're talking about traditional martial arts technique I would spend several years working on reverse punch, I'm still doing it after 31 years, many others much longer. I wouldn't equate punching power with speed as a major factor in the development of said power. I've seen many fast punchers who couldn't knock out anybody.
Spend your time and energy learning to develop real power through technique practice, and it does take years.
That being said, I myself have benefited most from heavy 2 hand swings, explosive lighter weight snatches and heavy getups, other MA's will say something different probably but this is what works for me.

As a lifelong martial artist, I value timing the most, followed closely by technique. Then comes combat specific conditioning and, quite far away, speed and, lastly, strength.

Quite probably, 99% of the forum members could out-lift both Manny Pacquiao or Connor McGregor no problem. Step into a ring with them and see what happens.

Don’t get me wrong, strength is a valuable tool and, possibly, the most trainable physical quality. It does pay to do some strength training if you are a combat athlete, but it shouldn’t be a priority. It’s just GPP.

Timing and technique (which are closely related) are paramount. And then comes the ability to endure fighting a resisting opponent for a long time. Everything else is just gravy.

Timing and technique (which are closely related) are paramount. And then comes the ability to endure fighting a resisting opponent for a long time...
...As a lifelong martial artist, I value timing the most, followed closely by technique. Then comes combat specific conditioning and, quite far away, speed and, lastly, strength.
Similarly, terminal ballistics factors are correlated from most influential to least:
  1. Shot Placement
  2. Energy (Distant 2nd)
  3. Penetration Depth/Sectional Density (Weight/Diameter)
  4. Bullet Diameter

Although I'm not a martial artist, I think the point of GPP is that it will make most things better. The less trained one is, the more improving one's strength will help everything else. All those other things - speed, power, etc. - improve, at least to a point, when strength improves.

I think the bad name for strength training comes from it being over-practiced by some high-level athletes over the years, I could see a boxer's punch slowing if he's focusing his training on making a triple-bw DL.

-S-

Many fighters are physically stronger and also faster than the great champions but in the end timing is what separates the greats. For physical strength a narrow approach should work best for most fighters, something like Simple and Sinister is perfect especially for a striker.

If your goal is to be the best fighter you can be, be it in grappling, striking or MMA, then Timing, precision, technique, and endurance (aerobic and anaerobic cardio) are the most important things to focus on IMO.

Endurance is important because the more worn down you become, the slower you become. In other words you want to be able to "maintain" your crisp explosiveness throughout your fight because most kinds of fights go on for several minutes.

as mentioned by others, explosiveness should come from your martial arts sessions. To give your fists more "weight", use unilateral exercises for high tension and to work the stabilisers - in my experience with mitt work, the one arm pushup and low rep heavy KB military presses give you the most bang for your buck, much more than explosive jumping pushup variations.

I've never done S&S but I assume it would be awesome for your punches because it does just what I described but in a more complete and structured way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom