all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength Plan 701A

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Ladies and gentlemen,

I completed 701A some weeks ago and don't want to withhold my experience (somehow failed to write a review earlier...).
701A is a double kettlebell programme and is contained within the Double Kettlebell Manifesto by @Hector G.
This ebook contains four programmes each lasting six to eight weeks.

701A calls for two sizes of KB pairs. I used 2x24 and 2x28.
It is very enjoyable programme and people who get bored easily will like it because every session is different but of course following some common principles.
I have to admit that some sessions really test your grit and are very hard. I had my fair share of missing some reps...but I stayed on track.

Stats before:

-Double Clean & Press @2x28: 7x
-Double Military Press @2x28: 5x
-Double Clean & Press @2x32: 0x

Stats after:

-DC&P @2x28: no max tested but 10x5 with 3mins rest btw sets

-DMP @2x28: several sets of 5 with 3mins rest btw sets

-DC&P @2x32: 12x1 with 3mins rest btw sets

-Armour Building Complex @2x32: 10 sets with 3mins rest btw sets

I was very pleased with this results and as one can easily see, the strength gains are significant.
Looking back it probably would have been wiser to use 20s and 24s but I had no 20s aviable.
That means: if I run this programme again (and I probably will in in the not too far future ir the follow-up routine 701B) I will do it again @2x24/ 2x28 and make stellar technique/not missing reps/creating maximum tension a premium. That way I will probably reap even more benefits.

As for bodycomp: I cannot say too much about that since I did not monitor my nutrition too much. Ate at maintenance, probably slight surplus.
Would be interesting to do it during a fat loss phase. I strongly suspect it will make you stronger while you lose fat which is awsome.
Also: the programme is not a walk in the park but due to its excellent design I have absoluteley no doubt that it will make you stronger even during a phase of calorie restriction. Yes, some sessions are really hard but you can get your act together suck it up! Overall it is designed in such a way that it does not drain you.
On the other hand: if you like to gain some muscle, just eat at a slight surplus.

Last edited:
701A calls for two sizes of KB pairs. I used 2x24 and 2x28.

The book says that “Throughout the program you’ll shift from a 10-12 and 6-8RM bells for the press to a 10-12 and 6-8RM bells for the double snatch..” Were you able to use the same pairs for both exercises. I think I would use the 24 and 28 for my press but my snatch is a weak link. I’d probably use the 16 and 20 for my snatch bells.

Yes, I was. But my double snatch still could need some polish.

Hector does not recommend bouncing between KB sizes. Choose two pairs that you know you can make it and stick with these. If it feels easy, brace extra hard, stay in the rack for a 1-count. Basically make a lighter pair feel heavy.

Thanks for the review. I’m very interested in Hector’s program.

What exercises make up the programming. Obviously C&P and MP and snatches. Any front squats?

I’m guessing this is a complete program and not something you could do with deadlifts?

@Marc I purchased DKBM and corresponded with Hector about the conditioning element of the program and he said there is a conditioning effect to it. What did you experience?

@Marc I purchased DKBM and corresponded with Hector about the conditioning element of the program and he said there is a conditioning effect to it. What did you experience?

I agree absolutely!
Complexes are a one stop shop for strength, conditioning, power and muscle gain/fatloss (caloric surplus-->muscle gain; deficit-->fat loss).
If you follow 701A I would strongly advice you not do do any additional conditioning. Do some mobility, crawling, basic calisthenics on your off days if you like but nothing taxing.

701A is mainly geared towards strength but you def will keep your conditioning and even improve it.
My biggest WTH effect from 701A was being able to do the armour building complex @2x32 for ten rounds with 3 mins rest btw rounds.
(Armour building complex: 2x cleans - 1x press - 3x front squat).
Could not double press the 32s before and only could do 2reps on front squats.

As for conditioning:
It is not my priority but still:
I can do 100 1H swings in 5 mins with the 48 anyday. I'd say after 701A it got a bit easier.

Thanks for the review. I’m very interested in Hector’s program.

What exercises make up the programming. Obviously C&P and MP and snatches. Any front squats?

I’m guessing this is a complete program and not something you could do with deadlifts?

yes it has front squats...

you can do a GTG/Easy strength type deadlift approach while on it

when I did 701a last year, it helped me unlock a 4 minute snatch test with my test weight (20kg) I used 20s mostly for 701a and 24s

Good review. I have a short one of 701A as well , in my traning log:
701A , Or, "What the Hec !!"
@Hector G has some great snatch tutorials in that thread, too.

It's interesting that you didn't follow the diet portion either. It looks solid and worth a try, but personally I just didn't put in the time to understand and implement it. I'll also incorporate some testing when I do 701B --I like that you did and have actual gains to point to.

What did you do after 701A ? Did you take a rest week, as per Geoff Neupert's programs?

Last edited:
Thanks again for all of the info. I just competed Neupert's KB Strong on Saturday with 2 x 24. I was planning on taking a few low intensity weeks and letting my summer travel pass and then doing the programs in DKBM.

Do you think that going straight from KB Strong to 701A makes sense or would you do Genesis first? There is no Squat in Strong, but no hinge in Genesis.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom