all posts post new thread

Kettlebell strength "prerequisite" for approaching 100 snatch challenge?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dmaxashman

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm 160 lbs. Is there any base strength levels I should meet on say TGU, swings, dl, squat, etc, before I try the 100 24kg snatches in 10 min challenge? Thanks!

I believe that achieving Simple goal from Simple & Sinister is a good base for passing snatch test.

I think that prerequisite for snatch test will definitely be a good snatching technique. If your snatch is good then you can do the test and see where you are, you can be surprised about the score :)

I knew the snatch test (100 in 5 min), and the SSST (200 in 10 min), not the snatch challenge (100 in 10 min).

To do 100 snatches with a 24kg in 10 min, which can be done 5+5 EMOM, I would recommand :
- check the lockout (hence comfortably GU and/or press a 24kg)
- comfortably swing 1-handed a heavier kettlebell (like 32kg for 100 reps)
- have good snatch technique (practice with 16kg)

Now, for the snatch test or the SSST, that's a different story...

There's no exchange rate between 100 or 200 snathes to swing and getup .

However I do recall doing at least 30 snatch per side consecutively and 5 getups per side with confidence got me to that level . Military press with 24kg and double swings formed base strength.

Denis Kanygin recommended to be able to do 20 presses. So in your case to press the 24 20 times. Certainly shows a good amount of strength.

I'm 160 lbs. Is there any base strength levels I should meet on say TGU, swings, dl, squat, etc, before I try the 100 24kg snatches in 10 min challenge? Thanks!
No, there is no prerequisite, but ...

Are you asking about trying the challenge itself or beginning training for the challenge?

Are you sure you got the challenge's parameters right? It's usually 100 snatches in 5 minutes, not 10, or 200 snatches in 10 minutes.

What kind of kettlebell snatching have you done to date?

Are you healthy or injured and, if the latter, how?

Having asked those questions, you ask about a base level of strength - it's good if you are comfortable with your challenge weight over your head. Can you put a 24 kg overhead by some other means, e.g., a jerk or push press or strict press, and go for a walk with it? While not a traditional strength test, it's a measure of supporting strength and, since you'll be supporting the 24 kg overhead on all your reps, it's a nice thing to be able to do and to perform in your training sometimes, perhaps even regularly.

-S-

Hello,

I would go for achieving Simple first. I noticed that reaching heavier than Simple, for instance the swings @40 make the snatch test far easier. For instance, I passed the test with a bit less 5 minutes without never training especially for it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have wondered about the similarities between simple and 100 24kg snatches in 5 mins for a while now. I acieved both standards at about the same time a few years ago and found that I am about as gassed or strained by them equally. However as my snatching skills have improved the snatch test has become "easier" for me even when I am relatively out of shape.

Personally I would suggest working towards simple for strength and conditioning while practicing snatching as a skill on lighter days or as part of your warm up. This worked well for me and goes along with some the advice given by those above.

I would suggest following order:

- own "Simple". And I mean really own.
- learn snatch form an SFG. Practice and perfect the form. Snatch is very technical lift - I just started snatching recently, and just after few sessions, I have a page of notes/aha moments/discoveries (and I have learned the lift more than 10 years ago).
- jump on @aciampa 's A+A protocol, and develop a Strong Endurance. Be patient, think long term.
- and then just do it.

I have wondered about the similarities between simple and 100 24kg snatches in 5 mins for a while now. I acieved both standards at about the same time a few years ago and found that I am about as gassed or strained by them equally. However as my snatching skills have improved the snatch test has become "easier" for me even when I am relatively out of shape.

Personally I would suggest working towards simple for strength and conditioning while practicing snatching as a skill on lighter days or as part of your warm up. This worked well for me and goes along with some the advice given by those above.

Actually that was one of my tests when I reached "Sinister" in the swings (100 one-arm swings with the 48 kg in 5 minutes) - I did the 5 mins snatch test. It wasn't difficult, I had huge strength reserve, but is wasn't a walk in the park either, as my snatch technique is suboptimal (I haven't been snatching all for a long, long time). I know that if I would spent few sessions or reviewing/perfecting the snatch technique, it would be much much easier. One of the best strategies for owning the snatch test is imho perfecting the technique of the snatch.

IMO, the only prerequisite to TRYING a 5-minute snatch test is common sense. If you want to give it a try, go for it. See what you can do. Just don't hurt yourself... bad form, tearing up the hands, letting loose of the kettlebell, etc.

The first attempt won't be pretty, but it's always good to get a baseline. If you wait to do it when you're perfectly ready for it, your improvements will be less dramatic. So count how many reps you can do in 5 minutes, and make sure to write it down somewhere. And I highly recommend video, too... not only because we seem to lose the ability to count under duress, but also you can see things that you do when you start to get fatigued that will really help you target your training towards improvement in those areas.

Do the Snatch, do a lot of Snatches, and do them correctly, but pace yourself. 100 in 5 minutes is 20/min=disaster for someone who hasn't snatched a lot. I love Snatch!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom