all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength program - preparing for special forces

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would strongly recommend Tactical Barbell. It's a system that comprises quite a few programs designed explicitly with military personnel in mind. Tactical Barbell I (3rd ed.) and Tactical Barbell II: Conditioning are the two primary books worth checking out (available on Kindle for very little). You'll definitely find something suited to you there. The TB Reddit page is highly active too, with many highly knowledgeable people there to help.

It incorporates barbell training, kettlebells, calisthenics, LISS cardio, higher intensity conditioning, the lot; all tailorable to your goals. There is MUCH in common with all things Strongfirst with plenty of people using elements of both, so this is not a redirection of your attention!

Thank you very much for the reply, I have seen 'Tactical Barbell' coming up in a lot of discussions already on different Reddit pages. I assumed it was only about training with Barbells (no access to one atm) and never looked further into it, but what you mention is interesting, thank you.

@Delta I would highly recommend looking up Stew Smith and/or Jeff Nichols. If you don't have access to a gym, Stew might be better.

Thank you for the reply, I am familiar with the work of Stew Smith and Jeff Nichols, I'm currently doing the Stew Smith Push Up program to get my numbers up regarding Push Ups. I like their content but there is little mentioning of KB work. All the gyms are closed in my country so at the moment I can only use my kettlebells for strenght training.

Last edited:
I would recommend something like Escalating Density Training (EDT) for preparations. It is a flexible template that would allow you to incorporate strength movements with calisthenics, incidentally many or Geoff Neuperts programs are based on EDT. Max Shank also has an excellent book on the topic called "Ultimate Athleticism" that does combine bodyweight strength with other modalities in an EDT format.

Cheers! Good luck.

Thank you for the reply and information.

I find it a challenge to understand how I can combine strength training and still do my calisthenics. From what I see in the different programs for strenght training is that there is a lot low rep / heavy weight work, that will get you stronger. My strenght is my limiting factor so I think that this is what I need.

On the other side, a lot of preparation programs that I have seen and that are specifically designed for SO selections mention a lot of very high rep, mostly bodyweight exercices. It looks like the contrary to strenght programs.

Due to my lack of knowledge in the strength domain, I find it difficult to understand how I can combine these two. Is it possible to combine these in a training schedule, together with running? I want to get stronger but at the same time I want to keep up with my numbers in calistenics.

From the information that I got in this topic (thanks everyone) I find the program that was written by Fabio Zonin interesting (I have the tools, I know the exercices and I find the Press / Squat / Pull work out very complete) and the work of Geoff Neupert (probably Giant, still need to took into Strong). The program of Zonin and Giant 1.0 seem to be based on a 8RM - 10RM, and I can do them with the material I have. From the reactions I have read, they both make you stronger and increase your work capacity.

I'm currently doing the Push Up program written by Stew Smith, after that I want to start one of these programs, ideally combining them with some calistenics and running/cycling (2 non impact cardio training and 1 HIIT).

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply and information.

I find it a challenge to understand how I can combine strength training and still do my calisthenics. From what I see in the different programs for strenght training is that there is a lot low rep / heavy weight work, that will get you stronger. My strenght is my limiting factor so I think that this is what I need.

On the other side, a lot of preparation programs that I have seen and that are specifically designed for SO selections mention a lot of very high rep, mostly bodyweight exercices. It looks like the contrary to strenght programs.

Due to my lack of knowledge in the strength domain, I find it difficult to understand how I can combine these two. Is it possible to combine these in a training schedule, together with running? I want to get stronger but at the same time I want to keep up with my numbers in calistenics.

From the information that I got in this topic (thanks everyone) I find the program that was written by Fabio Zonin interesting (I have the tools, I know the exercices and I find the Press / Squat / Pull work out very complete) and the work of Geoff Neupert (probably Giant, still need to took into Strong). The program of Zonin and Giant 1.0 seem to be based on a 8RM - 10RM, and I can do them with the material I have. From the reactions I have read, they both make you stronger and increase your work capacity.

I'm currently doing the Push Up program written by Stew Smith, after that I want to start one of these programs, ideally combining them with some calistenics and running/cycling (2 non impact cardio training and 1 HIIT).
I have been doing The Giant for a few months and my general impression is that, unless your presses are pretty lagging, all those heavy double cleans make for 3 pretty effective HIIT sessions, so you may not need another. Even if presses are relatively weak to what you could clean, you could turn them into HIIT sessions by doing push presses, or adding more cleans per press.

personally, i am currently alternating in ~60 minute sub MAF sessions on the rowing machine on off-Giant days.

With the strength goals for Bench and Squat, do you gain more 'points' the higher you go, or once you complete the minimum strength levels, you've achieved the highest contribution to getting selected already?

From my understanding the best way to balance strength (squat/bench) and strength endurance (high rep pushups, pullups) is to first meet the strength requirement, THEN run a strength endurance block with high reps and strength on maintenance. You only need to run a strength endurance block for a short time to get huge gains. Tactical barbell goes into this in detail.

Same with the cardio side of things. First lay the foundation with an aerobic base, then 'peak' by running a high intensity block.

So in essence it looks like this:

Year Round: Strength and Easy Aerobic Capacity 3x per week each, alternating days. This is your foundation for everything, and allows for a higher peak to be built.

6-8 weeks out of selection test: Strength endurance and HIIT block simultaneously. This is your peaking phase

Based on all the information I gathered in the last couple of weeks and after reading most of the articles that have been recommended and comments that I have read I have tried to develop my own training schedule for the next 8 weeks.

I used the strenght schedule of Fabio Zonin , this because I like the concept of Press, Pull and Squat exercices in 1 training session. It's a strenght scheme so I guess it will help me well. I can do the program with the material I have available.

Squat: Double KB Front Squat (16kg + 20kg)
Pull: BW Pull Up
Press: One Arm KB Military Press (20kg)

Simple Strength for Difficult Times: An 8-Week Progressive Plan | StrongFirst

An alternating days I will do running, further developing the aerobic base.

I have attached the schedule.

After these 8 weeks I can evaluate and see what the Covid status is, see if the gyms are open again. Maybe I can move to Tactical Barbell or one of Neupert's programs (Giant and Strong have been recommended a lot).

Attachments

• Template t.png
    Template t.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 19
Hello,

Depending on the unit you aim for, it may be interesting to do swimming / running / rucking. For example, SEAL require a lot of running and swimming (for both conditioning and also preparing the joints). Rucking amount is more limited. However, Green Beret require more rucking than SEAL, but less swimming. One has to look for the requirement of the selection (documentaries, articles and commentés, etc...)

No need to be a tri-athlete champ or whatever though, but having a good baseline in everything.

There is no 'one size fits all' in terms of training. Nonetheless, at some point, specificity is needed.

As an example, kb swings / snatches following A+A guidelines are excellent for conditioning. There is just no doubt about that. But they will not help you with the skill of running or swimming or rucking. This is a long process which require practice (meaning time on the feet). Selection is not a swing / snatch contest. Swings does not hurt feet, but running can.

Then, selection is about performing at your best while you are at your worst (sleep deprivation, lack of food, cold, etc...). It requires resilience

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Depending on the unit you aim for, it may be interesting to do swimming / running / rucking. For example, SEAL require a lot of running and swimming (for both conditioning and also preparing the joints). Rucking amount is more limited. However, Green Beret require more rucking than SEAL, but less swimming. One has to look for the requirement of the selection (documentaries, articles and commentés, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you for the reply! There is indeed a lot of running during the test phase. That is why I have included 3 days of running, next to my 3 days of strenght training. I will start with more or less 30km a week, gradually building up mileage per week. The next 8 weeks I will run in lower HZ to further strenghten my aerobic base.

Hello,

As always, the poison is in the dose. Too much running can be detrimental for both your running progression and the remaining portions of your training (strength, etc...) due to recovery, stress fracture,...

Being a runner is a good thing, be too much of a thing...

Even Stew Smith programmes do not go far beyond 50miles a week on a peak phase because there are a lot of things to do.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

As always, the poison is in the dose. Too much running can be detrimental for both your running progression and the remaining portions of your training (strength, etc...) due to recovery, stress fracture,...

Being a runner is a good thing, be too much of a thing...

Even Stew Smith programmes do not go far beyond 50miles a week on a peak phase because there are a lot of things to do.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You are right, in almost every article I have read they say "less is more". But I have a good experience in running, I did quite some trailruns and ultraruns in the last couple of years. I have a good base to build upon on. But it is indeed important not to get injured.

I'm going to try this scheme with 6 sessions a week (3 running + 3 strenght) and I hope to see improvements after 8 weeks on the strenght level.

Currently I am reading "Building the Elite", I am going to try some mental exercises that they stipulate in the book.

Hello,

@Delta
One of the best books on the topic !

Their website is also excellent ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
I'm a bit disappointed so far because it is very high level, theoretical. I have read 200 pages or so but i find it challenging to put things really into practice. Now I am reading the chapter about visualisation, positive self talk etc, things that you really can practice, thats what I am looking for.

I expected more practical things that you can really put into practice (training schemes, mental exercices, more detailed nutrition programs, running schedules, ...). The book is interesting but also strongly theoretical (from what I have read so far).

The website has good articles, they released an interesting article today about strength training:

Hello,

@Delta
It delivers some training template in the end but they have to be sort of 'tailored' by your self diagnosis (strength, weakness, goal). They are very meticulous but it makes the book harder to 'digest'. I took notes when I read it to be honest...

Mental preparation tips are more practical, as you said.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Delta
By the way, their instagram is interesting as well. Mostly, this is the principles of the book, but in "shorter" versions.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My very first post, but I was in the 1/75 Ranger Battalion from 82-86. A nice baseline of strength (esp. bodyweight stuff like pullups) is required, but most young men going into these types of units easily have the physical strength. It certainly won't hurt to get stronger. I would suggest you get into rucking, adding weight gradually. It will toughen your feet and get you used to carrying load for distance. Forced marches (rucks) are mentally exhausting.

I recall training pushups prior to starting. The max for pushups was something like 63 for full points. I could do that going in. Unfortunately, they made us do so many pushups that we'd do more than 500 per day. Every time you turned around, they made you do pushups. Combining weights/cardio (metcons) such as Crossfit or even KB complexes will probably help quite a bit from a muscle endurance aspect. I do know that the Army has gone to a much more functional PT test. Check that out (or whatever service you're considering) and get good at it.

The true strength required for these types of units is mental strength (intestinal fortitude). I was one of the smaller guys in my unit, but I saw many bigger, stronger guys fall by the wayside because the couldn't take it mentally. You have to "embrace the suck". They are going to try to get you to quit. No one can do as many pushups (or whatever exercise) as they are ask you do - but you just have to keep trying and not give up.

Hello,

@Grayland
Welcome to StrongFirst !

If you had to do it again, how would you train ? For instance, what would be a 'typical' week ?

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey, I just read this and didn't see it linked in the thread:

Some pretty good strength standards to aim for, lots of double KB reps in both squats and overhead movements, and lots and lots of chins. The interview is good too.

Copy pasting the program:

Monday

-Weighted pullups -5×5
-Alternate the pullups with cleans and presses (military, not push
presses!) -2x24kg KBs, also 5×5
-Rock bottom front squats with a one second pause -2x32kg KBs -5×5
-Snatch with a 32kg KB -5 sets, hard but not to failure
-Alternate the snatches with strict hanging leg raises -5 sets

Wednesday

-One arm C&Js with a 32kg KB -10 min, play it by ear
-Heavy abs -5×5
-Pullups -100 total
-Alternate with front squats, sets of 10 with 2x24kg KBs
-Snatches or swings with a 24kg KB -alternate sets of 10-20 with
100 yd jogs (not sprints! the jog is for recovery) for as long as you
can handle it
-Cough up a hairball!

Friday

Start over.

Hello,

@Grayland
Welcome to StrongFirst !

If you had to do it again, how would you train ? For instance, what would be a 'typical' week ?

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Not answering your question directly, but to answer your original post. The entrance test is just to eliminate those who don't have a baseline of fitness to be successful. Once you pass the test, you aren't likely to be asked to beat your test scores during your "hell week". In other words, if you do 70 push-ups on your entry test, they won't test your max again, but you will probably do hundreds per day in smaller increments. That's the muscle endurance thing I mentioned. Since you know the test, I would work towards that. You don't have access to much equipment, so you have to work with what you have.

Your running times/endurance looks pretty good. Maintain that, but no real reason to get significantly faster. Practice the shuttle run to better your technique.

How are you at the swim? That is one test that needs to be specifically trained. Strength/endurance have little to do with it, it is a technique issue. Since your feet/hands are bound, it may be a good idea to have a friend with you when you jump in the pool! It's a mental test as well since it will be quite stressful being bound in a pool.

Pull-Ups, Push-Ups, Dips, Sit-Ups - I would emphasize these and do them 3 days per week. Figure out something for a dip bar as you didn't mention having one.

The Bench Press (70kg/154 lb.) and Squat (80kg/176 lb.) aren't real big numbers (esp. the squat), but you do need to practice them if you aren't familiar with the moves. Front squats with the Kb's (I'd use both bells and switch up the 16/20 on alternate sides - not ideal, but it'll have to do). I'd include the front squats with the calisthenics above 3 days per week. Not much you can do kettlebell-wise for the bench press.

Lighten up on your training as you get closer to the entrance test. Be fresh going in.

I will say that Pavel's Tactical Athlete program (posted above) looks pretty good, although you don't have the bells required. I realize that as a police officer a certain amount of physical size is desirable - you need to look the part to a certain extent. Additional mass isn't going to help you much during the test and your hell week. It's just additional weight you'll have to push, pull, and carry through the training.

Hello,

Not a book but some good content

Basically, stress inoculation

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom