all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Strength pull up for endurence

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

quentin__bsbl

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm trying to increase my reps on pull-ups (I'm already at 20) and I'm wondering if increasing my 1RM will help or if it's more interesting to just do sets of many reps. I do 3 workouts a week:
1 where I do drop sets (x reps with x kilo follow directly with x bodyweight reps) which is counted as endurance.
1 where I really focus on the movement (few reps but correct form with negative, explosive etc.)
And I hesitate for the last one either to do an endurance session or a "pure strength" session

I'm trying to increase my reps on pull-ups (I'm already at 20) and I'm wondering if increasing my 1RM will help or if it's more interesting to just do sets of many reps.
Maybe. Personally, when I was good at pull-ups (29 from dead hang), I never got much of a boost to my rep max from doing weighted pull-ups.
I've thought about this a lot and while increasing your 1rm may help your rep max if 1) your 1rm is relatively 'weak' (i.e. not much better than what you are doing for reps) or 2) you aren't doing many reps to begin with, the transfer from improved limit strength will be less if you already have a high 1rm or the higher up in reps you go.

Recently, I did bodyweight on the bar x age for barbell squats and it suuucked. I did a mixture of high rep work and "pace" work (trying to hit a certain number in 30 seconds to 1min for a number of sets with prescribed rest intervals) to prepare for this. I wasn't as ready as I hoped to be, but I think this was the right approach.

StrongFirst sent out an email about just this topic not too long ago. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here, but this is the basics of what was posted in regards to your question:

"If your repetition maximum is higher than 20 reps, you need to develop crazy strength on the bottom of the pullup."

StrongFirst sent out an email about just this topic not too long ago. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here, but this is the basics of what was posted in regards to your question:
Post it. I don't think anyone is going to mind a link to an "in-house" article.
"If your repetition maximum is higher than 20 reps, you need to develop crazy strength on the bottom of the pullup."
Maybe. I'm guessing most people that can do 20+ dead hang pull-ups are all ready pretty strong from the bottom (doesn't mean being stronger wouldn't help though).

Full email from StrongFirst:

“Can you increase your max reps by increasing your max strength?

If you max out at 10 or fewer bodyweight pullups, all you need is pure strength training. In the immortal words of Steve Baccari, “Don’t worry about strength endurance; you don’t have enough strength to endure.”

If your repetition maximum is between 10 and 20 reps, you would benefit from repping out—but it is not necessary. Increasing your 1RM strength through low rep heavy training will allow you to build up to 20 strict bodyweight only pullups without ever practicing them.

If your repetition maximum is higher than 20 reps, you need to develop crazy strength on the bottom of the pullup.

One Russian authority recommends partial repetitions, 5-10cm or 2-4” starting from a dead hang, eventually building up to an additional weight equal to one’s bodyweight.

The logic is straightforward: a reserve of starting strength will allow you to take off fast and finish your rep using inertia. That means that the weaker muscles that help you to clear the bar with your chin, such as the biceps, will do little work and this work will be brief.

In addition, each rep will be over quicker, which translates into a lesser challenge to the grip. Anyone who has exceeded 20 strict pullups will tell you that as the reps climb, forearm pump often becomes a big problem. (A topic for another time: hanging on a bar or farmer’s walks will not fix it.)

For your heavy pullup starts we recommend a parallel grip narrower than your shoulders as the safest.

Get tight, get hollow, and pull.

Do not explode; save that for your bodyweight only high reps.

Keep your elbows in. Stop before the top of your head reaches the level of the bars, and lower under control.

On the bottom let your shoulders shrug but do not relax them.

Start with a weight less than your 1RM for a full range tactical pullup and build up from there. Keep your reps per set in the 5-15 range; a shorter range of motion allows higher reps while keeping it a strength exercise. 3-5 sets once a week will do, in addition to your regular pullup training.

To dive deep into pullup endurance programming,
come to the Strong Endurance™seminar with Pavel.

November 6-7, Denver, Colorado, USA

REGISTER NOW

Last edited:
Hello,

@quentin__bsbl
My max is 37. Beyond a certain point, working on 1RM does little to nothing to increase max rep pull ups you are capable of. It may help up to 15-20 or so, but then it is more about "pure" strength-endurance.

I worked up to this by doing 5 sets of max rep-1 or2 reps, with 20"-30" rest between sets, 3x a week. Obviously, as fatigue sets in, you'll do a decreasing number of repetitions set after set. This woks well.I just maintain with GTG.

Another approach could be the bodyweight version of the Russian Fighter Pull up (even if the volume can be draining (do not hesitate to do RFP on alternate days).

For a more intuitive approach, simple GTG.

For a blend of structure and intuition, Stew Smith's pull up routine.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Maybe. Personally, when I was good at pull-ups (29 from dead hang), I never got much of a boost to my rep max from doing weighted pull-ups.
One thing that was successful for me was using enough weight to keep my reps in training at about 50% of my max reps, so, e.g., if someone can do 20 reps bw-only, add enough weight that sets of 8-12 reps in training make sense. You won't be training either 1RM or max reps but somewhere in between, and my experience has been that this in-between can help.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom