all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength Shortcuts - Geoff Neupert

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I am looking forward if neupert releases a new program. Will it be glycotic based like his “classic” stuff or more strong endurance based. Interesting to hear his thoughts on it

I am looking forward if neupert releases a new program. Will it be glycotic based like his “classic” stuff or more strong endurance based. Interesting to hear his thoughts on it
I think this ebook is a clue - more in-line with AGT/Strong Endurance principles.

A+A style swings would just take too long for this kind of training program
Yes and no. In his personal example he has a 30 minute block 3x per week for his main strength work. Also, as @Sean M wrote, you could split longer A+A sessions in two (in Sean's case even with Al Ciampas approval).

think this ebook is a clue - more in-line with AGT/Strong Endurance principles
I am curious, too.

However, the booklet was originally published in 2013 or 14 (he added some info on nutrition, mainly). And he is currently focussing on restoring motor control, kind of like an Original Strength rehab protocol with a twist.

But I hope that he will publish some more KB or BW stuff.

@HUNTER1313 btw: Pavel himself has commented several times that you could split for instance your heavy press day during ROP into several sessions on the same day or even the following day. I have saved the quote somewhere.

Yes and no. In his personal example he has a 30 minute block 3x per week for his main strength work. Also, as @Sean M wrote, you could split longer A+A sessions in two (in Sean's case even with Al Ciampas approval).

yes, true. But true A+A work is more than just 20 NR. And I think 40-50 NR with a heavy bell will just take time. If you split it or not. And just do 100 swings/snatches 3x per week is not really A+A even if it‘s performed A+A style. You will need longer sessions.
But Yes, u can split them up.

Just curious about Geoffs nutrition from the booklet. He says fasting is good except when you're stressed. So when I get switched to nights ( I'm on a 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on, 4 nights off, etc 12hr schedule) I should eat more because working at night is definitely not normal and stressful. Or should I just keep on eating my meal when I get home and then go to bed? Nightshift might be a good time to switch to a iron Addicts warrior diet style with a couple protein shakes and one meal to keep stressors down

Just curious about Geoffs nutrition from the booklet. He says fasting is good except when you're stressed. So when I get switched to nights ( I'm on a 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on, 4 nights off, etc 12hr schedule) I should eat more because working at night is definitely not normal and stressful. Or should I just keep on eating my meal when I get home and then go to bed? Nightshift might be a good time to switch to a iron Addicts warrior diet style with a couple protein shakes and one meal to keep stressors down
I think he’s saying: use restlessness/insomnia as a warning sign about fasting. Fasting might be too much additional stress, as trouble sleeping is a signal/sign of heightened stress.

If it were me, I might avoid fasting for a week or two after shifting to night shift, to let everything settle out, before introducing a new (hopefully beneficial) stressor.

Just for fun I put the SFG Prep Guide into this AM/PM micro-session template:

SFG Micro Prep Plan

The Saturday double-bell circuits (up to four total) should really be spread across three micro-sessions.

If not using for SFG Prep, then just one work circuit per session is, if nothing else, another way to cook Geoff's structure. Focusing on the SFG kettlebell skills, combined with a bit of the "swing sandwich" idea, maybe drop out the snatch test prep sessions if that is not your goal.

Any ideas on what proper loading perimeters would be for the general barbell strength program on pg. 72? Would it be a good idea to use Prilepin’s chart for something like this?

Also, should the loads stay constant for the 4 weeks? Or should they be based on feel (high volume/low intensity; low volume/high intensity). Just curious of how to structure for deadlifts.

I’m thinking of mixing a bit of kettlebell work and barbell deadlifts into some micro sessions during the week. I was just hoping to get specific loading ideas for the deadlifts (65-75%=light?; 80-85%=heavy?).

I bet a TSC prep plan would work well with micro sessions...so many options.

Last edited:
Or should they be based on feel (high volume/low intensity; low volume/high intensity)
I would say this is it: Matching the reps to the planned RPE and going mostly for an effort of 7, sometimes 6 or 8 (there is some description of it)

@Marty He talks about RPE and how it shouldn’t get to 9 by the last set, at least not every session. I would think an experienced lifter would know their RPE 6-9 range for each lift (for the given rep range) and keep it within that.

I’ve been doing the general strength KB program for the past week or so, I dig it. I enjoy it so much, I went and a hard copy of the pdf printed and bound. Hoping he comes out with a full book with more actual programs in it like this. I may try running KB Strong following this plan

Thanks @Bauer and @Sean M for your replies!!! The RPE scale is very helpful. Especially on days when stress is high.

I happened to send Geoff an email about his suggestions for loading barbell work, and he graciously responded with:

If you want pure strength work, I keep my strength work in the 60-90% range (even though traditionally it's usually 70-90%).

So light, I'd go 60-75% and heavy, 70-90%.

Therefore, your week could look like the following:

Week 1: light - 60%, heavy - 75%
Week 2: light - 65%, heavy - 80%
Week 3: light - 70%, heavy - 85%
Week 4: light - 75%, heavy - 90%

As far as kettlebells, I'd consider switching out the light DL with them and keep your power output high.

Hope that helps!

Talk soon,
Geoff

Another take on the format, this time for bodyweight focus:
SFB Micro-Sessions Plan

Each pattern gets a heavy, two medium, and two light sessions in the week, and only one pattern is heavy per day. So Monday (example):
  • Morning, 10-15 minutes:
    • (Push) Feet-Elevated Push-ups: (1,2,3) ladders
    • (Pull) Towel Rows: (2,3,5) ladders
  • Evening, 15-20 minutes:
    • (Squat/Hinge) Pistol progression practice
    • (Abs) Hollow hold progression practice

Just for fun I put the SFG Prep Guide into this AM/PM micro-session template:

SFG Micro Prep Plan

The Saturday double-bell circuits (up to four total) should really be spread across three micro-sessions.

If not using for SFG Prep, then just one work circuit per session is, if nothing else, another way to cook Geoff's structure. Focusing on the SFG kettlebell skills, combined with a bit of the "swing sandwich" idea, maybe drop out the snatch test prep sessions if that is not your goal.
Another take on the format, this time for bodyweight focus:
SFB Micro-Sessions Plan

Each pattern gets a heavy, two medium, and two light sessions in the week, and only one pattern is heavy per day. So Monday (example):
  • Morning, 10-15 minutes:
    • (Push) Feet-Elevated Push-ups: (1,2,3) ladders
    • (Pull) Towel Rows: (2,3,5) ladders
  • Evening, 15-20 minutes:
    • (Squat/Hinge) Pistol progression practice
    • (Abs) Hollow hold progression practice

I’ll...just...take a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, Thank you very much!

Nice work, @Sean M.

This is my first time reading strength shortcuts, great stuff!

I have a question about the “easy muscle”. He says to pick a low skill exercise and work up to a 10Rm, then perform “50% of that 10RM for as many sets”

Does that mean use 50% of the weight for sets of 10, or use the 10RM for 50% reps, i.e. multiple sets of 5 with your 10RM? It’s not very clear, hopefully someone here has some insight.

This is my first time reading strength shortcuts, great stuff!

I have a question about the “easy muscle”. He says to pick a low skill exercise and work up to a 10Rm, then perform “50% of that 10RM for as many sets”

Does that mean use 50% of the weight for sets of 10, or use the 10RM for 50% reps, i.e. multiple sets of 5 with your 10RM? It’s not very clear, hopefully someone here has some insight.
I believe it’s the latter - sets of 5 with 10RM weight. The example he gives cycles between 50-70% reps of 10RM of a simple exercise, paired with 1-2 rep sets of a heavier (4-5RM) technical lift done on another day or another micro-session.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom