all posts post new thread

Barbell Strength/Speed Strength/Hypertrophy Routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
What would be the best program for combining strength/speed strength/hypertrophy? I am enjoying my strength and size gains from bodybuilding but I also enjoy speed strength training for power for 3 two minute rounds. I also enjoy the variation of different set and rep ranges as it helps to keep the training fresh without becoming stale or boring.

Thank you.

Updated Routine.
Day 1
Power

Push Press 6x3
Limit Strength
Bench Press 3 of 3/2/1
Hypertrophy
Incline Dumbbell Press 4x10
Cable Crossover 4x10
Seated Shoulder Press 4x10
Bent Over Lateral Raises 4x10
Tricep Extensions 4x10
Straight Bar Pulldown 4x10

Day 2
Power

Pull-Ups 6x3
Limit Strength
Deadlift 3 of 3/2/1
Hypertrophy
Barbell Back Row 4x10
Barbell Shrugs 4x10
Rear Delt Raise 4x10
Reverse Pec Deck Fly 4x10
Barbell Curl 4x10
Preacher Curl 4x10

Day 3
Power

Jump Squat 6x3
Limit Strength
Squat 3 of 3/2/1
Hypertrophy
Lunges 4x10
Stiff Leg Deadlift 4x10
Leg Curls 4x10
Leg Press 4x10
Leg Extensions 4x10
Calf Raises 4x10

Last edited:
An alternative would be to segregate them by days.

Day 1
Lower Strength
Upper Speed/Power

Day 2
Full Body Hypertrophy/Conditioning

Day 3
Lower Speed/Power
Upper Strength

That looks more like a job than a workout to me. How long does that take you? But if you enjoy it, great.

What would be the best program for combining strength/speed strength/hypertrophy? I am enjoying my strength and size gains from bodybuilding but I also enjoy speed strength training for power for 3 two minute rounds. I also enjoy the variation of different set and rep ranges as it helps to keep the training fresh without becoming stale or boring.

Your Program

Your program will work to some degree. However, there is a more effective way of optimizing your training results.

Some Basic Information

1) Limit Strength (1 Repetition Max) is the foundation on which Power and Speed are developed. Initially, increasing Limits Strength increase Power and Speed.

2) Power and Speed Training need to be preformed first in a training program, when you are fresh. Training Power and Speed later in a Strength Training Program is usually counter productive.

3) Training one Strength at a time is usually the most effective method of developing that particular Strength.

Speed Strength Protocol

1) Power is developed with low repetition with moderate loads, 48 to 62% of 1 Repetition Max) performed explosively.

2) Speed is developed with low repetition with moderate loads, 10 to 40% of 1 Repetition Max) performed explosively.

Your Speed Strength
Speed Dumbbell Press 20
Seated Shoulder Press 12/10/8/8
Skullcrushers 20/20/20

Your Speed Strength Training repetition are too high. Your Speed Strength falls in Hypertrophy and/or Strength Endurance Training.

Conjugate Training

This method mean that you incorporate different type of Strength Training into the same program. One effective method is based on...

Dr Michael Zourdos' Conjugated Method

Zourdos' increased Limit Strength with the following by having one day a week that focused on one type of Strength Training.

1) Monday: Hypertrophy

2) Wednesday: Power

3) Friday: Limit Strength

Dr Brad Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Research

Zourdos' Conjugate Training Research was based on increasing Limit Strength.

Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Research was based on increasing muscle mass, Hypertrophy.

Schoenfeld determined there was three keys for increasing muscle mass that were essentially the same as Zourdos' for increasing Limit Strength.

1) Mechanical Tension. Limit Strength Training.

2) Metabolic Stress: Hypertrophy Training

3) Muscle Damage:

In a training program of let's say 4 weeks, the 4th/last week the exercises should be pushed to failure or near failure.

The Westside Powerlifting Method

This method supersedes Zourdos' and Shoenfeld's research, essentially using the same protocol: Max Effort Training (Limit Strength), Dynamic Training (Power/Speed Training) and Repetition Training (Hypertrophy Training).

Summary

1) Focus on one type of Strength Training at a time.

2) Use the right Power and/or Speed Training Percentages and the right Repetition Range.

3) Power/Speed should be trained first in a program.

Bro Mo provide you with one method. However, my recommendation is to perform Power/Speed first when you're fresh.

Kenny Croxdale

That looks more like a job than a workout to me. How long does that take you? But if you enjoy it, great.

60-90 minutes, the strength exercise can be up to 30 minutes as I train with a gym partner and we train in waves of 3/2/1.

Your Program

Your program will work to some degree. However, there is a more effective way of optimizing your training results.

Some Basic Information

1) Limit Strength (1 Repetition Max) is the foundation on which Power and Speed are developed. Initially, increasing Limits Strength increase Power and Speed.

2) Power and Speed Training need to be preformed first in a training program, when you are fresh. Training Power and Speed later in a Strength Training Program is usually counter productive.

3) Training one Strength at a time is usually the most effective method of developing that particular Strength.

Speed Strength Protocol

1) Power is developed with low repetition with moderate loads, 48 to 62% of 1 Repetition Max) performed explosively.

2) Speed is developed with low repetition with moderate loads, 10 to 40% of 1 Repetition Max) performed explosively.

Your Speed Strength
Speed Dumbbell Press 20
Seated Shoulder Press 12/10/8/8
Skullcrushers 20/20/20

Your Speed Strength Training repetition are too high. Your Speed Strength falls in Hypertrophy and/or Strength Endurance Training.

Conjugate Training

This method mean that you incorporate different type of Strength Training into the same program. One effective method is based on...

Dr Michael Zourdos' Conjugated Method

Zourdos' increased Limit Strength with the following by having one day a week that focused on one type of Strength Training.

1) Monday: Hypertrophy

2) Wednesday: Power

3) Friday: Limit Strength

Dr Brad Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Research

Zourdos' Conjugate Training Research was based on increasing Limit Strength.

Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Research was based on increasing muscle mass, Hypertrophy.

Schoenfeld determined there was three keys for increasing muscle mass that were essentially the same as Zourdos' for increasing Limit Strength.

1) Mechanical Tension. Limit Strength Training.

2) Metabolic Stress: Hypertrophy Training

3) Muscle Damage:

In a training program of let's say 4 weeks, the 4th/last week the exercises should be pushed to failure or near failure.

The Westside Powerlifting Method

This method supersedes Zourdos' and Shoenfeld's research, essentially using the same protocol: Max Effort Training (Limit Strength), Dynamic Training (Power/Speed Training) and Repetition Training (Hypertrophy Training).

Summary

1) Focus on one type of Strength Training at a time.

2) Use the right Power and/or Speed Training Percentages and the right Repetition Range.

3) Power/Speed should be trained first in a program.

Bro Mo provide you with one method. However, my recommendation is to perform Power/Speed first when you're fresh.

Kenny Croxdale

Thank you for the reply, Kenny.

What type of exercises would be best for power/speed training and what type of repetition ranges?

I try to focus everything on overload of the compound first with the 3/2/1 waves as that fatigues the CNS and is the most tiring of the exercises.

I train hypertrophy last because it does not require much energy to train for hypertrophy at 8-12 repetitions.

I am also to keep looking to improve my striking speed on for 3 two minute rounds, would power speed be better than endurance speed?

Do you have any books that will also help to learn the methods of training?

What type of exercises would be best for power/speed training and what type of repetition ranges?

Power Exercises

Olympic Movements are Power Exercises: Power Clean, Power Snatch, High Pull Cleans, High Pull Snatches. Olympic Movement are the gold standard of Power Training.

The training load that best develop Power in Olympic Movements is 70 - 80% of your 1 Repetition Max. However, these movement are require more technique.

The Clean High Pull | T Nation

For someone interested in developing power with an Olympic Movement, this is a good place to start, with The Clean High Pull. Fairly simple.

Kettlebell Swings

The power output displayed and developed with the Kettlebell Swing closely replicates Olympic Movements.

A fairly heavy Kettlebell needs to be used. A Dumbbell can be used if a Kettlebell isn't available.

Trap Bar Jump Squats

Power output is similar to Olympic Movements. Basically, a Trap Bar Jump is the first part of an Olympic Pull

Traditional Exercises For Power

Squats, Bench Press', Deadlifts can develop some power. However, not to the same extent as Olympic Movement or similar movements (Heavy Kettlebell Swings and Trap Bar/Dumbbell Jump Squats).

Power Training with Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift

1) Between 48 to 62% (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

2) 1 - 5 Repetition Per Set.

3) 3 Minutes or longer Rest Period Between Sets.

Speed Training

1) Between 10 - 40% (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

Strength Training

1) 85% plus (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

Basically the same protocol is used in training Limit Strength, Power and Speed.

The main difference is the Training Percentage.

I train hypertrophy last because it does not require much energy to train for hypertrophy at 8-12 repetitions.

Hypertrophy

This require more energy, if performed correctly. Your post indicates that you may not be training it as effectively as you could/should.

1) Between 65 -8% (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

2) 8 plus Repetition Per Set.

3) 60 Seconds Rest Period Between Sets.

...would power speed be better than endurance speed?

Speed and Power

Speed and Power are produce explosively within 15 seconds or less, usually around 6 seconds. Then Speed and Power drop like a rock.

Speed Endurance

I'm not quite sure how you are defining this.

With that in mind, there very little Speed or Power developed with Endurance Training.

Do you have any books that will also help to learn the methods of training?

Training Book

There are a multitude of good online articles that you can find to help you.

There are also a multitude of good book that you can find to help you.

This is one of the better books on training...

The Black Book of Training Secretes
http://jonas.tvto.dk/moos/Black_Book_Enhanced.pdf

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Power Exercises

Olympic Movements are Power Exercises: Power Clean, Power Snatch, High Pull Cleans, High Pull Snatches. Olympic Movement are the gold standard of Power Training.

The training load that best develop Power in Olympic Movements is 70 - 80% of your 1 Repetition Max. However, these movement are require more technique.

The Clean High Pull | T Nation

For someone interested in developing power with an Olympic Movement, this is a good place to start, with The Clean High Pull. Fairly simple.

Kettlebell Swings

The power output displayed and developed with the Kettlebell Swing closely replicates Olympic Movements.

A fairly heavy Kettlebell needs to be used. A Dumbbell can be used if a Kettlebell isn't available.

Trap Bar Jump Squats

Power output is similar to Olympic Movements. Basically, a Trap Bar Jump is the first part of an Olympic Pull

Traditional Exercises For Power

Squats, Bench Press', Deadlifts can develop some power. However, not to the same extent as Olympic Movement or similar movements (Heavy Kettlebell Swings and Trap Bar/Dumbbell Jump Squats).

Power Training with Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift

1) Between 48 to 62% (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

Speed Training

1) Between 10 - 40% (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

Strength Training

1) 85% plus (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

Basically the same protocol is used in training Limit Strength, Power and Speed.

The main difference is the Training Percentage.

Hypertrophy

This require more energy, if performed correctly. Your post indicates that you may not be training it as effectively as you could/should.

1) Between 65 -8% (as stated in my previous post) of your 1 Repetition Max.

2) 8 plus Repetition Per Set.

3) 60 Seconds Rest Period Between Sets.

Speed and Power

Speed and Power are produce explosively within 15 seconds or less, usually around 6 seconds. Then Speed and Power drop like a rock.

Speed Endurance

I'm not quite sure how you are defining this.

With that in mind, there very little Speed or Power developed with Endurance Training.

Training Book

There are a multitude of good online articles that you can find to help you.

There are also a multitude of good book that you can find to help you.

This is one of the better books on training...

The Black Book of Training Secretes
http://jonas.tvto.dk/moos/Black_Book_Enhanced.pdf

Kenny Croxdale

Thank you for the response, Kenny.

I will write notes on the different types of training and I will split the different types of training up.

What do you think of the following frequency?

Day 1 Limit Strength Upper
Day 2 Limit Strength Lower
Day 3 Rest
Day 4 Power Upper
Day 5 Power Lower
Day 6 Hypertrophy
Day 7 Rest

What would be an example day of power upper and power lower? Thank you for your help.

What do you think of the following frequency?

Day 1 Limit Strength Upper
Day 2 Limit Strength Lower
Day 3 Rest
Day 4 Power Upper
Day 5 Power Lower
Day 6 Hypertrophy
Day 7 Rest

You're Conjugate Program

There are a multitude of way of writing and performing a Conjugate Program, any program.

The program you've devised looks good. Play with it and see how it works.

What would be an example day of power upper and power lower?

Upper Body Power Exercises

1) Push Press: This is both a upper body and lower body power movement.

2) Pressing Movement with the right Training Percentage, Reps, Rest Periods, etc.

3) Bent Over Row and/or Lat Pulldown with a moderate load, performed explosively, generated with some lower back drive.

These Lat Movement are the equivalent of the Push Press, what might be termed a Power Pull. Force generated at the beginning of the movement.

These Power Pulls are usually viewed as cheating. However, the Push Press isn't viewed at cheating.

Ironically, the same principle and training effect occurs with the Push Press and Power Pulls.

Lower Body Power Exercises

1) Squats and Deadlift with the right Training Percentage, Reps, Rest Periods, etc.

2) Kettlebell Swing with a fairly heavy load.

3) Olympic Movements: Power Cleans, Power Snatches, High Pull, etc.

Olympic Movements involve the upper and lower body.

3) Jump Squat

"Compensatory Acceleration"
Dr Fred Hatfield

This means pushing/pulling something explosively, as hard and fast as you can.

Compensatory Acceleration should be employed for Power and Limit Strength Sets.

Doing so engages the Fast Type IIa Muscle Fiber and "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber.

Ascending Strength Curve Power Training

An Ascending Strength Curve Exercise is one that is hard in the bottom position and easier at the top end of the movement: Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts.

Due to fact that the weight is moderately heavy, lifter only develop power in narrow range of the movement.

"Research has shown as much as 75% of a movement can be devoted to slowing the bar down." (Flannagan, 2001). Elliot et al. (1989) revealed that during 1-RM bench presses, the bar decelerates for the final 24% of the range of motion. At 81% of 1-RM, the bar deceleration occurs during the final 52% of the range of motion. The accompanying deceleration phases result in significantly decreased motor unit recruitment, velocity of movement, power production and compromises the effectiveness of the exercise." (Berry et. al., 2001) Source: Plyometric bench training for 1rm increases

Maintaining and Increasing Power

To ensure you maintain power though the full range of the movement, one of two things need to occur...

1) Going Ballistic: The the body or the bar must go airborne, as in a Jump Squat.

2) Accommodating Resistance: Band and/or Chain need to be attached to the bar. This increased the load as you ascend with the bar.

The increased resistance as you near lock out means you must continue to accelerate though the full range of the movement.

Going Ballistic and the use of Accommodating Resistance also ensure that all of your motor units are engaged and trained.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom