all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Beyond things like "Simple", "Solid", "Sinister", "Beast Tamer", "Iron Maiden", and the SFG I & II technique standards, are there any more formalized strength standards for kettlebell exercises?

What comes to mind for me is something like these: Weightlifting Performance Standards for the common KB exercises to grade how strong and well-rounded you are across different movements.

As opposed to 1RM, I was thinking something like basing the standards off of 5RMs or something like that.

From Dan John link:

"Getup
One left and right, done with a half-filled cup of water"

That's an interesting standard. I'll try it out

I like the movement balancing a shoe across the knuckles of the fist like in the book.

Here you have:
Strenght/conditioning stantards for healthy balanced girevik.. I just made up these, but these are very achieveble for most and still decent numbers.
Not official or anything, just IMO...

Level 1
One arm press: 20 reps each arm with 24kg
Double front squat: 20 reps with 2x24
Swings: 200 reps with 24 in 10min.
One arm clean and jerk 100 reps in 10min with 24kg, unlimited hand switches.
Snatch 30/30 with 24kg
Get up 32kg STRONGLY

Level 2, same but with 32kg. :D
Get up with 40...

And everybody is free to try achieve master of sport rank in gs. :)

From Dan John link:

"Getup
One left and right, done with a half-filled cup of water"

That's an interesting standard. I'll try it out

I need to try that one. I’ve heard that a heavy Get-up is instructive .. but a Get-up with a cup of water is at least equally instructive! :D

This one is a little to close to the "risk" side and not close enough to the "reward" side for me

I don't know man; I think if you swallow your pride and try it with a very light kettlebell, I reckon it would do wonders for keeping your whole body tight throughout the movement.

This one is a little to close to the "risk" side and not close enough to the "reward" side for me
Try it. I've found occasional light bottoms up do lock in my heavy work. I'm sure it not necessary, but you won't be sloppy...

"Old-time strongman Sig Klein considered the Dumbbell Clean and Military Press to be one of the best exercises for measuring all around strength. Sig stated that twelve reps with two 75lb dumbbells separated the men from the boys."

Try the above challenge with 2 x 32 kg KBs. You do a clean before each press. The press is a strict press.

Level 1
One arm press: 20 reps each arm with 24kg
Double front squat: 20 reps with 2x24
Swings: 200 reps with 24 in 10min.
One arm clean and jerk 100 reps in 10min with 24kg, unlimited hand switches.
Snatch 30/30 with 24kg
Get up 32kg STRONGLY

These are very good.

For simplicity, I like Rippetoe's proposed standards for the military. They aren't KB-specific.

2xBW deadlift
75% of BW overhead press
12 chin-ups (or was it pull-ups?)
400meter run in 75 seconds.

These are minimums and should be attainable within a reasonably short time of serious intelligent training.

I would not have met the DL and press standards when I was in, but I would have been better for it if I could have.

(Wonder how .75 of BW with the barbell compares to a KB press? Probably significantly less than a half BW KB press.)

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom