all posts post new thread

Old Forum Strength Stretching issue

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FredWong11

First Post
Hello everybody, I am a new user to the site but I have known and read most of Pavel's books and DvD's for a couple of years. I decided to do the remedial squat drills in Strength Stretching DVD. My problem is that I got lower back pain from the squat (no weight). I do not understand how to push my tail up and I think that is the cause of my lower back pain as it pressurizes my spinal disks. Correct me if i'm wrong and please anybody who has experience and understanding with Strength Stretching, please explain to me in layman's terms how to lift the tail in the squat. Thank you very much.

Hi Fred!
Have you tried the face-the-wall-squat? Most issues take care of themselves when the wall faces you to arc your lower back and put up a proud chest.

If you've got pain and your doctor says that there is nothing wrong with you, I'd advice you to contact an SF-instructor or just work up to a greater range of motion very slowly. If your joints need to be greased, you can add some of the mobility drills from "Super joints" as well.

Pavel writes about McGill's method of finding the optimal squat stance in "Return of the Kettlebell". If you use a less than optimal stance you will go into flexion all to early. Try adjusting it if this is your problem.

Some schools of strength even encourage their students to lie down (chest down) and use their back strength to lift their legs up from the floor for repetitions. This is said to help you find the muscles used for arcing the lower back and be able to replicate it in the squat.

Back pain is really frustrating - I know. I got over it by doing the face-the-wall-squat, the kettlebell swing and by folding from the hip in my every day life. I hope you'll be relieved of it soon.

Best regards, Henke in Sweden

Hello Henric,

Glad to see your speedy response. I have been doing the face the wall squat but I am quite far from the wall. My fear is in the lower back arch, how do I know if I am over arching or not? I will definitely give a thorough check to the recommendations you gave. How did you lift your tail during the face the wall squat and how did you arch your lower back? It seems when I try to do these I get pain. I should probably note that I can go almost all the way down in the face the wall squat (but not at a close distance to the wall). Sorry for so many questions but thank you in advance!

Just fire away :)

Stand closer to the wall to get a better use of it. If you have the equipment, film yourself and compare your performance to one of Pavel's books or DVDs.

If your lower back hurts at the bottom of the squat and your back is rounded when it hurts, that might be your problem.

If you do film yourself, you can always add a link to allow us to watch your performance.

/Henke

Fred, there should be no pain. See a doc, post what you have found out, and we can take it from there.

Hello guys, I got back from the doc, no problem there. Though for the past months I have been more sedentary than I would like so that is an issue. I showed him the face the wall squat and demonstrated and he told me that I was going deeper than I could handle. I believe that is why my lower back started rounding and hurting, because it was not to my flexibility's capability. Anyhow since the man himself, Pavel, is here, I would like to ask what do you mean by lifting the tail when squatting? I tried to arch my lower back more and felt better but I am concerned that I am overdoing it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom