all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength Training and Health

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Reubenz

Level 3 Valued Member
when my strenght increase over a period of time i have noticed that my overall health also improves and that is a good thing. But i do wonder are there a connection with becoming a stronger person also connected with other parts like your mind,body and spirit?What are your thoughts on that?

Absolutely. Practicing strength carries over into everything; a feeling of being in control of your life, an acceptance of limitations, an insight into the relationship of both the future and the past to the present, a feeling of preparation for the unexpected... just to name a few.

Well said, @Anna C

Training is an infinite vast realm, I explore with my limited ressources (be it time, energy, recovering ability).

The knowledge I can get about it, is the knowledge of some basic principles, and they personally are/become real respecting them and with consistent practice and experience.

I train, because there are so many things to feel, be it gravity, heartbeat, alignment, iron, wood, balance and loosing it, tension, relaxation, heaviness, easiness...makes my monkey mind to calm down.

Strengtraining and Softtraining are two sides of a coin.

I train, therefore I am.

Last edited:
I was born with psoriasis so i have always felt like a weak person with alot of limitations.So like the stronger i get i do experience what you described :)

"Health can never be divorced from strength."

- "Russian Lion" George Hackenschmidt (1877 – 1968), The Way to Live
"StrongFirst is a School of Strength, but beyond teaching physical strength, we are making stronger people, stronger in spirit."

- @Pavel

The act of strength training affords us a hidden benefit - It is far easier to act into a better way of thinking than to think into a better way of acting.

There is some truth in that. I always think clearer and become more focused after a good strenght practise.

I believe it is Brett Jones' description, but I find it apt - strength is a glass. The more strength you have, the more you can put in the glass. The easier things become, the more you are prone to do, creating a positive feedback loop

I believe it is Brett Jones' description, but I find it apt - strength is a glass. The more strength you have, the more you can put in the glass. The easier things become, the more you are prone to do, creating a positive feedback loop

So like if you would have a period when you build muscle would it leave room for even more strength? Or is it like strength is muscle?

strength does not have to equal hypertrophy. You can increase strength by hypertrophy (more muscle, greater capability) or neurologically (think increasing horsepower instead of getting a bigger engine).

To answer your original question: yes. Knowing I can take my body through a heavy lift tells me that other difficult portions of my daily life can be conquered.

Of course it could be the other way around. Improved health facilitates strength increases. You get stronger because you are healthier. It probably works both ways though. Decades ago we used to think that strength training was neutral in terms of promoting health. Now we know that lots of beneficial effects are derived from strength training. Inflammation has been linked to most chronic diseases (diabetes, heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer's etc..). During a strength training workout, muscles produce interleukin - 6, which is anti-inflammatory, and also increases lipolysis (fat burning), and helps to prevent insulin resistance. It also increases the sensitivity of the muscle cells to insulin. All good effects. Moderate exercise also improves the functioning of the immune system.

Muscle-derived interleukin-6: lipolytic, anti-inflammatory and immune regulatory effects. - PubMed - NCBI

Hello,

I guess there is a kind of hormons generation due to strength training which make them satisfied, even happier. Basically, maybe it helps to reduce some stress factor for instance, which improve health

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Of course it could be the other way around. Improved health facilitates strength increases. You get stronger because you are healthier
+1
For instance, yoga implies lots of strength to maintain some stances (arm balances) while keep breathing. Besides some of them requires at the same time lots of balance and flexibility.

If memory serves, a good diet and a daily / almost daily yoga practice are proven to reduce chronic deseases.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I spent the 90's working out in commercial gyms. Going to failure on most sets. crazy programs I found in magazines. I got hurt a lot, and I got sick a lot. I may have been strong but I was not healthy.
Now I approach training as practice, I avoid overtraining, I'm not as strong as I once was, but I seldom ever get sick.
I was in Okinawa Japan Ten years ago, and I watch a number of elderly men in their 80's still performing karate.
They were obviously shadows of their younger selves but compared to most 80 year olds of today, they were physically and mentally doing fantastic! Movement and strength is the fountain of youth, physically and mentally.
I'm fifty now, but I know in thirty years, I'll still be lifting KBs and doing karate.
Al

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom