all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength training for confidence

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Waryrenn

Level 5 Valued Member
Do people here think that your strength training has resulted in an improvement in confidence, yes or no?

What programming could optimise results? Specific movements or abilities that would be preferred?

Last edited:
I think confidence is a side result of the training. Successful training is a result of perseverance, consistency and hard work. Success builds on success. Success brings confidence. And a body that is healthier and stronger also improves well-being per se, and I see well-being also linked to confidence. But of course training and confidence don't exist in a vacuum, and there are plenty of things that are important, some more so - but it can still be a piece of the puzzle.

Yes, of course. Confidence comes from knowing yourself, and what you can do. Strength training helps you know yourself, and is a continuous exploration; a process of challenging yourself and finding out what you are capable of. If you don't challenge yourself (i.e. if you just do the same things all the time), you're missing out on this benefit.

Strength training, in contrast to just "exercise", includes progress. And process with progress brings self-development. Things happen along the way as we adjust to a new, more capable self. Self-development builds confidence because any type of physical, mental, emotional, etc. development and growth builds a better person. More developed people have earned their confidence.

Strength training also includes, if we let it, practice at failure. Many of us fear and avoid failure because we see it as a bad thing. In strength traning, failure is not bad -- it's just not being able to do something beyind our current capabilities. If we all try to deadlift 1,000 lb, we'll all fail. If we try to deadlift 75 lb, we'll all suceed. Somewhere in between is a number that is hard but do-able, and somewhere just above it is a number at which we will fail. There is no inherent judgement there. Failure brings knowledge on which to build, train, and try again, and often exposes our weak links at our limit effort, which are the richest opportunities for growth. Note that I'm not advocating "training to failure" in reps, nor routinely trying to do a lift at or beyond a 1RM. But I do think that pushing into new territory sometimes in one way or another in our training --trying our best at something really hard, but failing-- is a great growth experience that we should embrace when the time is right. And when we fail we really learn what we are and aren't capable of. Again -- confidence comes from knowing yourself, and what you can do. Failure brings that knowledge.

It can't help but have some effect, but in my opinion it helps the most:

- kids, because aside from schoolwork, this is one of the first things they can do where the seemingly impossible can be achieved via progression and hard work, and I don't think most kids are aware their schoolwork is a progression. Their direct actions lead to direct results and no matter how much help you get, you own it, you did the work.

- individuals with body image issues or who have never had a history of health, mostly for the same reasons as those above. Without understanding and trusting the process, it really is a leap of faith. If it pays off, that has to have a positive carry-over for a bunch of reasons.

- folks who already had a history of health/athleticism who are able to train around injuries or other handicaps, again without knowing if the process will work in their case or how far it might be taken anymore.

I think if you don't fit those profiles, any additional confidence boost will be somewhat limited - its a process, you understand how it works and have gotten results. If you approach some other task or endeavor where you can break it down into a process you might have more confidence than the next person, but success at any process that requires a longer duration to see results would probably transfer just as well.

Being in good shape hasn't done anything for my public speaking.

Being in good shape hasn't done anything for my public speaking.

That's interesting... I actually feel that in my case it has. I am not one who really likes public speaking, yet I find I often times have to address groups of well over 100 people. What I will usually do the morning of such an occasion or even a few days before is a really intense training session. For me this really helps plug any leaks in whatever little poise I have to begin with.

In my case I'm maybe a little too far behind the curve, though I don't have any problems narrating video content.

Gotta start somewhere, in my case the only thing that would help me out is more public speaking- start with small groups, work up to larger groups. I guess I'm confident I could get better if I applied what I know about progressive improvement.

Currently I'd just choke up and trail off with more vigor and discoloration than a sedentary individual could muster, maybe hurdle the podium on the way out or pick it up and throw it stage left to clear my path :eek:

Looks like I'm the only person to vote 'No' so far. I should probably explain myself:

My training has made me stronger and, within the context of training, more confident (e.g. I am confident that I can deadlift 100kg on any given day without any considerable effort or swing a 24kg kettlebell one-handed without needing chalk).

Outside of that context, it has not affected my confidence. If I am feeling generally confident in myself, I will be proud of what I have achieved and will feel strong.

If I am not, I will feel weak and see only how far I think I have to go; I will doubt myself and wonder whether my training is effective at all or if I'm just spinning my wheels.

When I first started doing push-ups in my bedroom at the age of 17 and my skinny body started showing some muscular definition for the first time in my life, I felt more confident then in my strength and physical appearance than I do now, even though I can do one-armed push-ups, turkish get-ups with half my bodyweight etc.

For me, my confidence is not shaped by my achievements, but rather my confidence shapes how I perceive my achievements. My confidence comes from being at peace with myself and this does not come from any external source.

I hope this makes sense and apologies if I completely missed the point of the question.

Strength training has improved my confidence greatly. I believe ANY activity, done with deliberate practice, fosters growth.

What I could not do before, I can do now.
What did it take? Practice. Discipline. Vulnerability. Humility. Courage. Among others.
All of those traits, I have improved. Slow, but sure growth. This growth has enhanced my life in many disciplines.

I'm sure it depends on the context. Public speaking obviously don't require great physical strength but that's only one activity.

If you've never been truly unfit, it might be hard to appreciate how intimidating something like yard work, a hike in the woods, or a kayak trip can be.

I think you're right: that is a non-sensical query.
I'll edit the initial post to remove.

Imprecise, perhaps, but not nonsensical. It's not a measurable goal, but increased confidence can also be a huge motivation for why you want to train. Hang on to that and use it to your advantage.

The truly important reasons aren't always useful as goals. My parents died young from chronic health problems. Longevity isn't a training goal, but has everything to do with why I train.

It seems unfair to only have one no vote in the thread

My “no” comes with a caveat of course: being stronger has made me more confident about being strong. In other words, being strong makes me more confident that I can pick up a couch, or my children. If someone asks me if I can help carry something, then sure, being stronger helps.

Outside that limited scope, it really does nothing for my confidence.

Hello,

Being stronger builds confidence, but I think this is also some kind of state of mind.

We can be stronger, meaning lifting heavier, but we can also be stronger, meaning overcoming mental steps (staying stoic, enduring the cold, etc...)

In both cases, I think confidence is built by getting in this tiny little zone of discomfort, just enough to get challenge and to progress. To a certain extent, being stronger relates to become more resilient

Kind regards,

Pet'

...What programming could optimise results?...
Going for rep maxes (not necessarily PR) on my last set really helps inspire confidence with more weight. Getting 12 reps on something makes it mentally easy to put 10 more pounds on the bar and not struggle with anything below 8 reps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom