all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength training for insulin sensitivity?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Interesting point here with @Eyetic observations....

Non insulin dependent glucose transporters at work.
Sucking up blood glucose so less insulin is required.

The mitochondrial expert prof Milan (?) featured on a podcast reckons
going for a walk after eating to be objective number one for improving insulin sensitivity.

This is also recommended by Stan Efferding as a mandatory part of his 'Vertical Diet'.

High rep, high volume, low intensity compound movements.

5x20 is very good rep scheme for this. Do it for bench press, squats, deadlifts, ohp etc.

Also metabolic conditioning. Circuits with little rest. And sprinting.
I'd like to read more about this, are there any references you could point me to?

There definitely does seem to be some benefit to going for a walk after a meal. The Case For Taking a Walk After You Eat

I'm wondering if perhaps @Fabio Zonin's 160 second a day protocol could be adapted for after meals as opposed to walking? “160 Seconds a Day Keep the Doctor Away!”—Burn More Fat and Improve Your Health without Breaking a Sweat with a Simple Swing Protocol | StrongFirst

10 or 15 minutes after eating and maybe again an hour later:

"-3 powerful one-arm swings (alternate side from set to set)
-Rest for 45” in which you shake off the tension through fast & loose drills
-Repeat for a total of 4 sets"

In regards to strength training for insulin sensitivity I beleive (and this is purely anecdotal observation) high intensity bodybuilding protocols to be superior. I have seen and experience myself when I was younger doing things like DY high intensity method or doggcrapp rest pause method and no other changes in programming or lifestyle (as I was too inexperienced/dumb to do so).

What I noticed is a "pumped up" look due to higher reps performed as well as more lactic acid built up in the muscle and other metabolites. That was the first thing. Additionally I was leaner without monitoring diet or doing any additional cardio than usual.

Obviously there are numerous things going on within the body when engaging in a high intensity bodybuilding protocol.

Obviously this isn't conventional strength training. However all high intensity bodybuilding protocols revolve around getting as strong as possible at a variety of lifts, at higher reps and progress as fast as possible. So getting stronger is very important to these protocols.

Back to this, I've been experiencing some heavy drop on my insulin needs lately which normally means that my sensitivity peaked somehow.

My program consists in Heavy swings 3 days a week + c&p 3 days a week (program called The Giant with added pull ups), so far I've reduced my Basal units by 6 units ( talking in percentage its a -17% reduction of basal insuline which for non diabetics means an insuline that works for 24hrs ) and one day to rest.

I'll keep on checking this matter as its been days with a very low BG levels, diet on a calories surpluss, which is even more strange...

I like this quote from the article:

"The main benefit of high-intensity interval training is mostly that it takes less time," says Doctoral Candidate Tanja Sjöros.

Please watch this video by William Shang, a pathologist with a particular interest in the effects of strength training on insulin resistance. As a thin prediabetic who has found next to nothing in advice that suits my low BMI, I have been searching for three years to find something that will make a difference and I think I may at last have found something that might.

Diabetic T1 here, for me Zone 2 training do wonders to me on my BG and I need to lower my basal dosage of insulin whenever I deep into zone 2 training sessions for some weeks.
Zone 2 instead makes thing easier but not that drastic, effects does not last that much though..I need to keep doing it to maintain this.
Interesting @Eyetic
Does the BG drop immediately when doing Z2 training? Or do you have to wait before a drop occurs?
Best,

Interesting @Eyetic
Does the BG drop immediately when doing Z2 training? Or do you have to wait before a drop occurs?
Best,
It doesn't drop much during the activity, its more an effect that last several hours and a day or two. It just messes up my glucose / insulin ratio, eating the same and taking the same insulin results on hypoglucemias so I need to adjust that.

Exercise can help but it's a minor player compared to diet. Combined they really can dramatically reverse things. This an excellent TEDx talk on using diet to control insulin resistance.

Indeed and totally agree, wish I had Diabetes T2 (sounds silly isnt it?) as there are plenty of people out there who managed to supress it by exercising and diet... my T1 unfortunately is a different monster! But i'm on it! ahahhahahhah

In Strong Medicine Dr Chris Hardy states that insulin resistance is caused by too much adipose tissue becoming inflamed and releasing cytokines and causing oxidative stress. This slows the entry of glucose into the cells allowing it to build up in the bloodstream. Decreasing insulin sensitivity and eventually escalating to type 2 diabetes.

While he does recommend HIIT and strength training as a primary form of exercise to maximize the muscle's use of glucose and remove as much as possible from the bloodstream, and to help increase muscle mass (increasing the "glucose sink" in your body)... The primary driver of insulin resistance seems to be excess adipose tissue.

From the research that I can find, just about anything that reduces obesity seems to improve insulin resistance. Yes, high carbohydrate diets cause a spike in blood sugar, but over the long term the reduction in fat tissue is a much bigger driver of change. This can be seen in studies like the one done in the DiRECT study, where they showed a reversal of type 2 diabetes (and imporovement of insulin sensitivity) through weight loss. This was further confirmed in a study that demonstrated fat loss as a result of surgery had similar results with insulin sensitivity as fat loss from dietary changes (Weight Loss Decreases Excess Pancreatic Triacylglycerol Specifically in Type 2 Diabetes).

In short, simple fat loss seems to be the prime mechanism towards improving insulin sensitivity regardless of diet type. Finding a way of eating that works for you and fixes your caloric balance is the primary way to improve insulin sensitivity over the long term. At least that is what I've picked up during my personal health journey.

Is there a "best" type of strength training for increasing insulin sensitivity? Like in terms of sets/reps/intensity/exercises/frequency if you're using free weights and/or calisthenics?
High rep, high volume, low intensity compound movements.

5x20 is very good rep scheme for this. Do it for bench press, squats, deadlifts, ohp etc.

Also metabolic conditioning. Circuits with little rest. And sprinting.
I will respectfully disagree with this, and also offer that one's personality, schedule, and other things are going to matter because, as @Anna C said, what matters is exercise that a person actually does.

Since Anna was mentioning her spouse, I'll mention mine - success here means very little time invested, and to that end, we have really gone to the minimum but with otherwise pretty standard StrongFirst programming. My wife allocates 5-10 minutes for strength training, sometimes before she leaves for the day, sometimes after she gets home again. She does a few goblet squats and a few swings. Goblets squats are anywhere from 1 or 2 reps total up to 3 doubles, and those are the most recent addition to her programming. She began doing swings last Fall, with my suggestion to do 1 set of 10 swings and call it a day - sometimes that's still all she does, but she will also do more as her time and her inclination allow, but we let it gradually evolve from 1 or 2 sets of 10 with no further guidance than "anything is better than nothing, don't start the set you don't think you can finish in good form, and take lots of rest between." So low rep, low volume, high intensity.

-S-

I will respectfully disagree with this, and also offer that one's personality, schedule, and other things are going to matter because, as @Anna C said, what matters is exercise that a person actually does.

Since Anna was mentioning her spouse, I'll mention mine - success here means very little time invested, and to that end, we have really gone to the minimum but with otherwise pretty standard StrongFirst programming. My wife allocates 5-10 minutes for strength training, sometimes before she leaves for the day, sometimes after she gets home again. She does a few goblet squats and a few swings. Goblets squats are anywhere from 1 or 2 reps total up to 3 doubles, and those are the most recent addition to her programming. She began doing swings last Fall, with my suggestion to do 1 set of 10 swings and call it a day - sometimes that's still all she does, but she will also do more as her time and her inclination allow, but we let it gradually evolve from 1 or 2 sets of 10 with no further guidance than "anything is better than nothing, don't start the set you don't think you can finish in good form, and take lots of rest between." So low rep, low volume, high intensity.

-S-

Low rep, low volume, high intensity(and high frequency), is the best training method for strength, conditioning etc. it is the way I train.
But high reps are much more beneficial for insulin sensitivity. It is not an opinion, or a dogma. it is about energy systems used. With low reps/high intensity, you use the alactic system. Great for performance for sure. With high reps/low weight you use the glycolitic energy system. Practically you use the glucuse stored in your cells. And, an empty of glucose cell, is a much more insulin sensitive cell.
That is how I treated my father's insulin resistance, with very good results. I had him doing 5x20, or 10x10 with very low weights.

A quick reference i found:

Two fairly recent studies by Eriksson and colleagues (1997) and Ishii and colleagues (1998) illustrate the benefits of strength training in the management of diabetes. In the study by Eriksson, eight participants who had Type II diabetes completed a 3-month progressive resistance program that consisted of two days a week of circuit weight training. One set of 15-20 reps was completed at each station with a 30-sec rest between stations. A variety of upper- and lower-body muscle groups were challenged. The researchers found that circuit weight training was responsible for improvements in blood glucose level control and that these improvements were significantly related to training-induced muscle hypertrophy. This study also showed that increases in muscle mass from strength training are important in the management of diabetes, as well as decreasing the risk for developing complications associated with diabetes.

In the study by Ishii and colleagues (1998), 17 individuals with Type II diabetes were placed into two groups: a strength-training group and sedentary control group. The training group participants were instructed to train five times per week for 4-6 weeks at workloads corresponding to 40-50% of their 1 rep max. Two sets of 10 repetitions for upper body muscles and two sets of 20 repetitions for lower body muscles were done using the following exercises: arm curl, military press, bench press, squats, knee extensions, heel raises, back extensions, and bent knee sit-up. The researchers reported that the rate of blood glucose entry into the working muscles increased after training. This study demonstrates that moderate-intensity, high volume training improved insulin sensitivity by 48% in these individuals.

Low rep, low volume, high intensity(and high frequency), is the best training method for strength, conditioning etc. it is the way I train.
But high reps are much more beneficial for insulin sensitivity. It is not an opinion, or a dogma. it is about energy systems used. With low reps/high intensity, you use the alactic system. Great for performance for sure. With high reps/low weight you use the glycolitic energy system. Practically you use the glucuse stored in your cells. And, an empty of glucose cell, is a much more insulin sensitive cell.
That is how I treated my father's insulin resistance, with very good results. I had him doing 5x20, or 10x10 with very low weights.

A quick reference i found:

Two fairly recent studies by Eriksson and colleagues (1997) and Ishii and colleagues (1998) illustrate the benefits of strength training in the management of diabetes. In the study by Eriksson, eight participants who had Type II diabetes completed a 3-month progressive resistance program that consisted of two days a week of circuit weight training. One set of 15-20 reps was completed at each station with a 30-sec rest between stations. A variety of upper- and lower-body muscle groups were challenged. The researchers found that circuit weight training was responsible for improvements in blood glucose level control and that these improvements were significantly related to training-induced muscle hypertrophy. This study also showed that increases in muscle mass from strength training are important in the management of diabetes, as well as decreasing the risk for developing complications associated with diabetes.

In the study by Ishii and colleagues (1998), 17 individuals with Type II diabetes were placed into two groups: a strength-training group and sedentary control group. The training group participants were instructed to train five times per week for 4-6 weeks at workloads corresponding to 40-50% of their 1 rep max. Two sets of 10 repetitions for upper body muscles and two sets of 20 repetitions for lower body muscles were done using the following exercises: arm curl, military press, bench press, squats, knee extensions, heel raises, back extensions, and bent knee sit-up. The researchers reported that the rate of blood glucose entry into the working muscles increased after training. This study demonstrates that moderate-intensity, high volume training improved insulin sensitivity by 48% in these individuals.

Did these studies have a control group that trained in a different manner, and what was the difference like between different ways of training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom