all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength Training for Ironman 70.3

MattSz

First Post
I am currently training for my first Ironman 70.3 (1.9km swim / 90km bike / 21km run)

The last two months of training (Jan & Feb) have been focused only on getting swim, bike and run fit.
How best can I start incorporating KB training into my weekly routine, without it negatively impacting my current routine? I have 3 months until race day.

I have previously done a fair amount of work with Kettlebells:
Simple & Sinister (Up to 24kg single hand swing and get-ups) / 32kg double hand swings / 32kg single hand clean x 1rm / 32kg goblet squat x 5 / 4 week 500 KB swing challenge @ 24kg - but it has been a few months since I last did any serious strength training.

This is what a week generally looks like at the moment:
DayDateTraining AMTraining PM
MondayRestSlow Run or Slow Swim
Tuesday75-80% HR ride for 80 minSwim training
Wednesday60min steady runSwim training
Thursday75-80% HR ride for 80 minSwim training
Friday45 min steady run
Saturday2:45 hour steady bike rideEasy swim 30 min
Sunday1 hour slow and easy run

I am playing with idea of starting with Simple & Sinister 2 x a week, and seeing from there.
All input and advice is welcome!!

I would drop down to 3 swimming sessions a week and add 2 Easy Strength sessions.
Personally I don't think S&S is the best fit at this point of your training. You don't need more conditioning.

What are your Tri goals? To finish, or do you have a time in mind? What is the ranking of your disciplines? i.e. Which event is your best and worse? I might focus on that, and not any ‘dry land’ training.

You could try something like S&S warmup (goblet, halo, bridge) + McGill big 3 (I prefer deadbug over curl up) and maybe some band work like pull apart or face pulls. Could be done near daily before heading out for your AM sessions as a warm-up .

You could try something like S&S warmup (goblet, halo, bridge) + McGill big 3 (I prefer deadbug over curl up) and maybe some band work like pull apart or face pulls. Could be done near daily before heading out for your AM sessions as a warm-up .
Or… perhaps the S&S warmup and the TGU’s, foregoing the swings…

I am currently training for my first Ironman 70.3 (1.9km swim / 90km bike / 21km run)

The last two months of training (Jan & Feb) have been focused only on getting swim, bike and run fit.
How best can I start incorporating KB training into my weekly routine, without it negatively impacting my current routine? I have 3 months until race day.

I have previously done a fair amount of work with Kettlebells:
Simple & Sinister (Up to 24kg single hand swing and get-ups) / 32kg double hand swings / 32kg single hand clean x 1rm / 32kg goblet squat x 5 / 4 week 500 KB swing challenge @ 24kg - but it has been a few months since I last did any serious strength training.

This is what a week generally looks like at the moment:
DayDateTraining AMTraining PM
MondayRestSlow Run or Slow Swim
Tuesday75-80% HR ride for 80 minSwim training
Wednesday60min steady runSwim training
Thursday75-80% HR ride for 80 minSwim training
Friday45 min steady run
Saturday2:45 hour steady bike rideEasy swim 30 min
Sunday1 hour slow and easy run

I am playing with idea of starting with Simple & Sinister 2 x a week, and seeing from there.
All input and advice is welcome!!
Hey Matt- Ironman 70.3 is legit- at this stage- choose something for maintaining strength. Building strength was at least 1.5 months ago and beyond. Choose a routine and probably is best to run on your Monday off. If you want to add a second day, go for it. If you're three months out- you should be wrapping up your base training and entering build phases then peaking. All of this will take a toll on your body so, to avoid injury before this strenuous event, take it easy with whatever routine you move forward with. S&S 2x per week with a comfortable weight should be enough or something minimal like this. You should be including more muscular force exercises (i.e. swimming with a t-shirt on or paddels, hill runs, etc. for some workouts) and increasing anaerobic endurance soon. This will build some strength for sure. Last question- are you tracking TL or another metric? Good luck and report back with how you did!

Back
Top Bottom