all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Strength vs Power

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Anyhow, what do Karate guys do to get hard punches? They hit hard things. Makes sense.

You definitely want to include some hard surface striking, but this is where an instructor can help you not cause long term harm. The bones of the lower arm and hand are only going to get so dense, and the skin on the backs of the hands is only going to get so desensitized before your returns drop way off. After that is timing and speed.

Yes, because the legs provide the spring behind the punches more than anything else, if I'm understanding it correctly.

You always want to be pushing off of the floor, bracing from the legs, or harnessing your weight and momentum some other way - landing a strike at the same time your moving foot touches the floor if you are moving laterally.

I always add that you stress speed and timing though, and a ton of defensive arm/elbow. Raw punching power is something for the boxing world where gloves and wraps protect your hands and wrists.

Bareknuckle guys don't need to hit with everything they have - a single well placed shot at 75% punching power will tear someone up good, a dozen poorly placed ones at 100% will do very little or nothing. Check out some Bobby Gunn or other BKB video and the differences between boxing and bareknuckle become very clear.

Thanks!:) I've already started similar looking regimen. No chinups yet though, my back is not ready yet. I start walking soon.
I got a lot out of walking for many years and I still consider it an excellent exercise. You can get more done in less time with jogging, running, skipping (which are all the same to me), of course, and they're better exercise (also, of course), but walking is still excellent and will certainly keep you healthy and quite strong.

Hello,

+1 @Kozushi
Walking, running, jogging, even swimming are excellent conditioning exercises. Plus, they are natural and functional.
Rucking can also be interesting because it can strengthen the back and core as well (if recovery is good of course)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@masa
If you knee is a "weak" point, a mix of swimming and walking can be considered. Indeed, swimming may be less taxing for the joints. Plus it will build some muscle as well. Then, once the knee is perfectly fine, you can do the activity you prefer :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@masa
If you knee is a "weak" point, a mix of swimming and walking can be considered. Indeed, swimming may be less taxing for the joints. Plus it will build some muscle as well. Then, once the knee is perfectly fine, you can do the activity you prefer :)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks. That's the plan. You read my mind.

If you knee is a "weak" point
Operated knee is fine, patellar tendon in other knee shows some inflammation at times. My back is my weakest link and it maybe eventually caused my left knee accident.

Hello,

@masa
My girlfriend has a beginning of scoliosis. Then she is not advised to ruck for instance. However, with good shoes, she can walk on long distance without any issue. Otherwise, she swims very well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@masa
My girlfriend has a beginning of scoliosis. Then she is not advised to ruck for instance. However, with good shoes, she can walk on long distance without any issue. Otherwise, she swims very well.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Rucking is not in my recommended list either. Some swimming forms can irritate my back too. I use Vibram's in a summertime and walk barefoot as much as possible.

Hello,

+1 for technique and relaxation as mentioned by @North Coast Miller
Bob Sapp is extremely strong, but not that powerful because he is slow and poorly coordinted, even if he has a huge muscle mass. However, Fedor Emilyanenko is extremely powerful due to his fluidity, technique, speed and breathing. Even if he carries more fat

Kind regards,

Pet'
Bonus points for Pride era MMA references - love Fedor, though probably he should re-retire. His punches were never the prettiest, but his overhand right is very ballistic.

Thanks @Kozushi and @pet'. Walking it is. Maybe swimming and aquajogging when possible.(y)
I've spent years at a time with walking as my only exercise, and I stayed in great shape and I was all-round "strong" too - maybe not in the same way as "weightlifting" strong, but strong all the same.

After several months of walking only, you might start to consider adding in a few brief upper-body type exercises like some pushups or better yet, some kind of light deadlift or similar, or suitcase carries or something.

To pet' - I've done a lot of "rucking" too, because I used to get around with a backpack on, and it's certainly something that makes the walking a heavier activity. I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the inconveniences of it in an absolute sense, but it's obviously one way to make yourself stronger.

Rucking is not in my recommended list either. Some swimming forms can irritate my back too. I use Vibram's in a summertime and walk barefoot as much as possible.

Walking is always exercise numero uno. I've been under the knife a bunch of times, getting back all begins with taking a walk, breathing deep, appreciating the act of walking and breathing. I came across these Amosov squats and the entire routine that he practiced. While I never pursued it I have used some of the movements independently when my back, heel spurs, degenerative disk etc act up. Personally, it has the flavor of truth. For boxing a general base of fitness and a load of punch and footwork. The footwork is almost more important, certainly equal. Just practicing box and circular footwork requires very little advanced fitness above baseline and is actually handy for just getting around.

Amosov 1000 Moves

goblet squats for cardio and getting back into shape

Just an additional data point - not all problem knees respond well to swimming. I've known several swimmer who used leg floats because any kind of kicking in the pool bothered their knees.

-S-

Just an additional data point - not all problem knees respond well to swimming. I've known several swimmer who used leg floats because any kind of kicking in the pool bothered their knees.

-S-

I fit into that category, I have no ligaments in my left knee & if I kick while swimming it flops around like a fish tail and sometimes even dislocates. The only time it has any stability at all is when I'm standing on flat ground and paying full attention to it. One step without thinking about & I generally land face first.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom