all posts post new thread

Barbell Strengthlifting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The sumo deadlift start position for any given lifter is more vertical, with hips closer to the bar. This is the whole point of the sumo deadlift. This posture reduces the moment force the back must rigidly transmit to the hip chassis, which reduces the training effect on the erector muscles. Starting Strength is a general strength development system - not a powerlifting total system. So even if any given lifter can lift more weight, the reduced training effect on the erectors and reduced ROM nullifies that fact.

I can change a few words to the above and get the following:

The low-bar squat bar position for any given lifter is lower on the back, which decreases how long the lever of your torso is. This is the whole point of the low-bar squat. This posture makes the low-bar squat more mechanically efficient, which reduces the training effect on the quads. Starting Strength is a general strength development system - not a powerlifting total system. So even if any given lifter can lift more weight, the reduced training effect on the quads and reduced ROM nullifies that fact.

High Bar vs. Low Bar Squatting • Stronger by Science

Prove me wrong.

The sumo deadTlift start position for any given lifter is more vertical, with hips closer to the bar. This is the whole point of the sumo deadlift. This posture reduces the moment force the back must rigidly transmit to the hip chassis, which reduces the training effect on the erector muscles.

Training Objective

Yes, the Sumo Deadlift places more of the work load on the hips and quads while minimizing the erectors; reducing the training effect on the erectors.

Thus, if your objective is to perform an exercise that targets the erectors, the Sumo Deadlift isn't the right tool for the job.

Since the Conventional Deadlift places more of the work load on the erectors, it would be a better choice.

With that said, if your main objective is training the erectors, other movements would supersede the Conventional Deadlift, like these...

Erector Dominate Exercises

1) Stiff Leg Deadlifts with a slight break in the knee.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts placing more of the work load on the lower back, taking the legs out of the equation.

Research by Dr Tom McLaughlin noted that Lamar Gant and other lifter increased their Deadlift by performing Stiff Leg Deadlifts; greater strength and power was produced in coming off the floor with their Conventional Deadlift.

2) Deficit Stiff Leg Deadlift would provide an even greater Range of Movement.

3) Conventional Deficit Deadlift would provide a great Range of Movement.

4) Back Extension specifically target the erectors.

5) Good Morning

The exercise selection criteria inside Starting Strength are to choose exercises that:
1. Use the greatest muscle mass;

Contradiction

Base on the criteria of choosing exercises that "Use the greatest muscle mass" the Bench Press is trumps more the Overhead Press.

Kenny Croxdale

Except moving the bar down the back does not shorten the moment arm along the back. To keep the bar over the mid foot point of balance the torso must be more horizontal, the hips more rearward. The effect of these two facts elongates the MA against the hip and shortens the MA against the knee. It’s not as simple as “bar lower = shorter MA”

The Bench Press is alternated with the Press in the SS system.

A deadlift is picking a barbell up off the floor and standing up with it. A squat is holding a barbell on your shoulders and, well, squatting down and standing back up.

Maybe any given style is a little more of this or a little less of that compared to any other given style.

But arguing about it reminds me of this joke by Emo Philips:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom