all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Stress & Aging workshop

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm not sure that I will be able do it justice with any description of words, but I'd like to share with the forum my experience from Al's "On Stress & Aging" workshop last weekend in Oklahoma City.

The three biggest things to me were 1) effective takeaways for LIFE from here forward, 2) in-person practice of things that can't really be learned through written words, videos, etc., and 3) seeing Al!

I'll start with what it was like to see Al again after 3+ years. He and I met here in Mississippi as a part of the fitness program on the military base where I work. Through this and his PT manual he effectively launched my strength training journey, but shortly thereafter moved to Texas so our continued communication and his coaching, including for SFG I in this article, have been remote. Well, in my observation he is the same guy I remember but he does look younger, stronger, and has a happiness and calmness that I don't think he had before. Something is clearly working!! He always had an outward "zen" and intense focus, but now it seems to be a stress-free kind. Anyway it was GREAT to see him and spend the weekend doing all these things that we find SO interesting: breathing, movement, A+A kettlebells, and talking about life. All of you here on the forum already know that @aciampa has an incredible wealth of knowledge and also a special ability to really listen to someone and know what it is they need. He uses that when teaching, and the workshop is very personal and interactive. Everyone is very engaged and willing to share what they need, whether that's anxiety reduction, help with stress, sleep, movement, etc. He completely integrates everyone's needs into the discussion so make sure it applies and can help. There is a LOT in this workshop content that can help us all.

The content was just right for 1.5 days; a full day Saturday and half day Sunday. The manual is just enough information to supplement what we learned. It is not firehose information by any means... the pace is relaxed, the content soft and flexible, not hard packed. The in-person practice was super-valuable. I've been practicing the Advanced Buetyko breathing method for about 3 months, and the instruction and practice that we did during the workshop was REALLY helpful. For the others who had not done it at all, it was perfect for getting started. We did 10 or more cycles of practice both Saturday and Sunday. This helped them get the hang of it, be talked through it, and experience some of the first questions and get the answers. For me, I was able to gain a lot more confidence in the techniques to make new progress. Breathing should be easy, right? Well I'm here to tell you, there is a lot to learn! I still have progress to make, but I've gone from easy breath holds of ~20 seconds to ~60 and up to 80 at times. My breathing is better, and my stress seems less. I'm not yet to the point where I can list specific benefits that I'm gaining from the practice, but I feel sure that the practice and process is beneficial to me and can be to anyone.

The Somatic exercises were also very enlightening and really need in-person instruction. I had tried some of these using the written description only, and I was missing a lot. This was all cleared up by practicing them in the workshop. The idea with these exercises is to reorganize how the brain controls the muscular system, sequencing movement form the center outward. The are gentle and controlled. Not easy, necessarily. It's a re-learning. Those who do Original Strength would recognize some similarities, but they go beyond and emphasize some different qualities.

Other content - what is stress? Understanding stress and the "biological bank account." What is a "deep breath?" Not what most people think. What is strength training, endurance training, capacity training? How do we move to reduce stress? Strength and capacity training strategies... many of these are familiar to those here, especially if you have read the A+A and anti-glycolytic threads. I learned a few things relative to A+A, and I've been doing it for over 2 years now. One was how to determine your alactic capacity. As I was a demo subject for the A+A snatches, Al had me snatch the 16kg to determine alactic capacity. REALLY hard, REALLY fast (as he cued). As soon as I slowed down, that's it! It was quite a dramatic switchover, when it happened. I could continue snatching hard and fast beyond that, but not to the same degree. I had never felt that before, because I had never snatched the bell THAT hard and fast. It was probably 12 seconds or so; I didn't actually time it, but I know how to do it now. The other thing I learned is how to recover the breathing quickly after a hard A+A set of, for me, 5 snatches with 24kg.

So there is a pretty in-depth coverage of A+A, but there is so much to learn in that area it is hard to bring to people of all levels of experience. For this reason, writing the book will be a challenge. :)

We also had a lesson on nutrition, and a lesson on philosophy and attitude. How to live your life in a way that is intrinsically yours. How to spend time reflecting on goals, using visualization and imagery. Practicing stoicism. Taking control of your behavior, having a process orientation rather than an outcome orientation. These things can be life-changing...

All of this comes together in some actual methods and mind-shifting ideas that can help us all with stress, and aging gracefully. I highly recommend the workshop! I'm immensely happy that I was there to be a part of the first one.

Other content - what is stress? Understanding stress and the "biological bank account."
I often have to be reminded of this the hard way.

a lesson on philosophy and attitude
I have several books on stoic philosophy on my amazon wishlist; might have to move them up in the que.

Seems like a great class to fill in what I call 'chinks in the armor'; the little things that take you from good to great.

Seems like a great class to fill in what I call 'chinks in the armor'; the little things that take you from good to great.

Although the target audience for the workshop are us older folks who need it personally, and those instructors/coaches that will work with them, everyone would benefit from the material because yes, it does fill in those chinks in the armor.

Although the target audience for the workshop are us older folks who need it personally, and those instructors/coaches that will work with them, everyone would benefit from the material because yes, it does fill in those chinks in the armor.

Any plans for coming to Europe some day?

I'm not sure that I will be able do it justice with any description of words, but I'd like to share with the forum my experience from Al's "On Stress & Aging" workshop last weekend in Oklahoma City.

The three biggest things to me were 1) effective takeaways for LIFE from here forward, 2) in-person practice of things that can't really be learned through written words, videos, etc., and 3) seeing Al!

I'll start with what it was like to see Al again after 3+ years. He and I met here in Mississippi as a part of the fitness program on the military base where I work. Through this and his PT manual he effectively launched my strength training journey, but shortly thereafter moved to Texas so our continued communication and his coaching, including for SFG I in this article, have been remote. Well, in my observation he is the same guy I remember but he does look younger, stronger, and has a happiness and calmness that I don't think he had before. Something is clearly working!! He always had an outward "zen" and intense focus, but now it seems to be a stress-free kind. Anyway it was GREAT to see him and spend the weekend doing all these things that we find SO interesting: breathing, movement, A+A kettlebells, and talking about life. All of you here on the forum already know that @aciampa has an incredible wealth of knowledge and also a special ability to really listen to someone and know what it is they need. He uses that when teaching, and the workshop is very personal and interactive. Everyone is very engaged and willing to share what they need, whether that's anxiety reduction, help with stress, sleep, movement, etc. He completely integrates everyone's needs into the discussion so make sure it applies and can help. There is a LOT in this workshop content that can help us all.

The content was just right for 1.5 days; a full day Saturday and half day Sunday. The manual is just enough information to supplement what we learned. It is not firehose information by any means... the pace is relaxed, the content soft and flexible, not hard packed. The in-person practice was super-valuable. I've been practicing the Advanced Buetyko breathing method for about 3 months, and the instruction and practice that we did during the workshop was REALLY helpful. For the others who had not done it at all, it was perfect for getting started. We did 10 or more cycles of practice both Saturday and Sunday. This helped them get the hang of it, be talked through it, and experience some of the first questions and get the answers. For me, I was able to gain a lot more confidence in the techniques to make new progress. Breathing should be easy, right? Well I'm here to tell you, there is a lot to learn! I still have progress to make, but I've gone from easy breath holds of ~20 seconds to ~60 and up to 80 at times. My breathing is better, and my stress seems less. I'm not yet to the point where I can list specific benefits that I'm gaining from the practice, but I feel sure that the practice and process is beneficial to me and can be to anyone.

The Somatic exercises were also very enlightening and really need in-person instruction. I had tried some of these using the written description only, and I was missing a lot. This was all cleared up by practicing them in the workshop. The idea with these exercises is to reorganize how the brain controls the muscular system, sequencing movement form the center outward. The are gentle and controlled. Not easy, necessarily. It's a re-learning. Those who do Original Strength would recognize some similarities, but they go beyond and emphasize some different qualities.

Other content - what is stress? Understanding stress and the "biological bank account." What is a "deep breath?" Not what most people think. What is strength training, endurance training, capacity training? How do we move to reduce stress? Strength and capacity training strategies... many of these are familiar to those here, especially if you have read the A+A and anti-glycolytic threads. I learned a few things relative to A+A, and I've been doing it for over 2 years now. One was how to determine your alactic capacity. As I was a demo subject for the A+A snatches, Al had me snatch the 16kg to determine alactic capacity. REALLY hard, REALLY fast (as he cued). As soon as I slowed down, that's it! It was quite a dramatic switchover, when it happened. I could continue snatching hard and fast beyond that, but not to the same degree. I had never felt that before, because I had never snatched the bell THAT hard and fast. It was probably 12 seconds or so; I didn't actually time it, but I know how to do it now. The other thing I learned is how to recover the breathing quickly after a hard A+A set of, for me, 5 snatches with 24kg.

So there is a pretty in-depth coverage of A+A, but there is so much to learn in that area it is hard to bring to people of all levels of experience. For this reason, writing the book will be a challenge. :)

We also had a lesson on nutrition, and a lesson on philosophy and attitude. How to live your life in a way that is intrinsically yours. How to spend time reflecting on goals, using visualization and imagery. Practicing stoicism. Taking control of your behavior, having a process orientation rather than an outcome orientation. These things can be life-changing...

All of this comes together in some actual methods and mind-shifting ideas that can help us all with stress, and aging gracefully. I highly recommend the workshop! I'm immensely happy that I was there to be a part of the first one.
While I certainly respect @aciampa and the plethora of knowledge he is willing to give on this forum, I would be a bit hesitant to walk the "grey area" of stress and anxiety. There are licensed professionals that do this everyday and are licensed for a reason (as a Medical Dr or an Attorney). Again, not throwing any shade on either of you as I'm sure it was an insightful workshop, but I stress caution in giving any type of medical advice, especially from the mental health standpoint.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think there's anything in the workshop that should remain only in the medical realm.

It's basically learning about exercise that can be less stressful, practicing breathing (which helps with stress and anxiety for many, but no direct claims are made), restorative movement, finding a philosophical viewpoint... etc. Purely beneficial, and everyone may retain what they wish as they go forward in life.

@Peck'88, I think it's fair to say that dealing with "stress" is a topic one can approach from many points of view. It is well known that many things can contribute to a lessening of the effects of stress and a reduction in feelings of anxiety. Meditation is but one example.

Is it OK to learn to meditate, or must one have a doctor suggest it? I would argue the former.

-S-

I see what you're saying, but I don't think there's anything in the workshop that should remain only in the medical realm.

It's basically learning about exercise that can be less stressful, practicing breathing (which helps with stress and anxiety for many, but no direct claims are made), restorative movement, finding a philosophical viewpoint... etc. Purely beneficial, and everyone may retain what they wish as they go forward in life.
I agree, but there are a lot of weirdos out there that take advantage of others kindness, knowledge, etc.

@Peck'88, I think it's fair to say that dealing with "stress" is a topic one can approach from many points of view. It is well known that many things can contribute to a lessening of the effects of stress and a reduction in feelings of anxiety. Meditation is but one example.

Is it OK to learn to meditate, or must one have a doctor suggest it? I would argue the former.

-S-
While I agree with a lot of this, a few points stick out I would disagree with, but everyone is different and I'm not going to get into this topic on this type of site, thank you, @Steve Freides

My wife and I attended this workshop for a few different reasons (aside from the fact that we're old and stressed ;)). We are not healthcare, fitness or any other type of professionals. We had not met @aciampa prior to the workshop – I have just been following this forum and StrongFirst in general.

@peck’88 – you raise great points about walking the grey area. You made me wonder how I did not see this angle before I signed up. Between my wife's bouts of cancer and my 3+ decades of working with attorneys, CPA’s and PE’s in business, I have an appreciation of licensed professionals, yet I did not question this angle after having so much experience with various licensed professionals – and nobody is much more skeptical than me.

My two cents - I wish you could have experienced the workshop because I think you might agree that a lot of valuable information was shared and discussed during the workshop without even approaching that grey area. We did not receive any medical advice, yet I believe we were introduced to meaningful concepts to help our well-being. I found @aciampa to be a humble, knowledgeable and caring professional (who has not tried to upsell me after the workshop!).

My wife and I attended this workshop for a few different reasons (aside from the fact that we're old and stressed ;)). We are not healthcare, fitness or any other type of professionals. We had not met @aciampa prior to the workshop – I have just been following this forum and StrongFirst in general.

@peck’88 – you raise great points about walking the grey area. You made me wonder how I did not see this angle before I signed up. Between my wife's bouts of cancer and my 3+ decades of working with attorneys, CPA’s and PE’s in business, I have an appreciation of licensed professionals, yet I did not question this angle after having so much experience with various licensed professionals – and nobody is much more skeptical than me.

My two cents - I wish you could have experienced the workshop because I think you might agree that a lot of valuable information was shared and discussed during the workshop without even approaching that grey area. We did not receive any medical advice, yet I believe we were introduced to meaningful concepts to help our well-being. I found @aciampa to be a humble, knowledgeable and caring professional (who has not tried to upsell me after the workshop!).
I've experienced it on both my side and my wife's. I was an attorney (before I retired two years ago) and my wife is a phycologist, so we both have a lot of experience with "worst case scenarios." Sounds like the workshop was excellent and as I've witnessed, Al gave excellent, sound advice.

If I was stressed out, I'd value a talk with someone like Al over consulting many "professionals." Unless there's severe pathology, not much beats sincere compassion and common sense, both of which Al exhibits greatly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom