all posts post new thread

Bodyweight stretching a la pistol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Personally I don't do pistol squats, and probably couldn't if I tried, so I don't have a first hand point of view, but lunges, regular squats, and quad pulls seem like the cover that areas, plus maybe toe touches and anything you may do to "stretch" your balance.
Sorry if this isn't all you were looking for,
Mike.

The pistol in itself is a good example of an active flexibility exercise.

I don't know if there's any real need to stretch too much before or after doing pistols. Just a bit of joint circling & ROM work before doing them to get a bit of synovial fluid coating the joint surface and a good shake when you're finished should be enough.

The pistol requires an amazing amount of mobility, especially in the ankles and hips. Read Pavel's book 'Naked Warrior' and you will be covered.

Also is you have any movement asymmetries or dysfunctions have a 'Functional Movement Screen' done on you.

A few things that have helped my pistol are half kneeling dorsiflexion for ankle mobility and single leg rocks from Original Strength. Your body could be completely different though.

Before pistols (not necessarily every set; I just like to maintain this level of mobility) I touch my toes, and once comfortable, pull my head between my knees until comfortable. I find that being able to bend forward sufficiently like that allows me to get into the rock bottom position effortlessly. However, if I don't maintain this level of mobility I may literally lose the ability to do pistols altogether unless I do a good ten minutes or so of stretching before attempting one.

personally found that high knee marching in place for 15-30 reps and hip flexor stretch help a lot before a pistol session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom