all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Stretching lower back by bending forward

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
Pavel mentions in many books that you should avoid slouching and bending forward after training. But if done on a separate stretching session and not straight after training, is it ok to stretch by bending forward? Some things to consider or be aware of? I do it every now and then and it feels good but for some reason I hesitate doing it... I guess because it’s so often recommended to do the exact opposite.

Hi @Nacho ,

Pavel has you do cat cow in Super Joints.
20200415_130730.jpg
Dr. Stuart McGill recommends them too.
Here is an excerpt from a summary of his position on flexion:
20200415_131553.jpg
Full article:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1xTJoHbkwrq2EUfmFi_00x

I've personally found that I don't need to stretch my low back if I fully stretch my hips. YMMV

For what it's worth, these are the two Stretches I do everyday that make the biggest difference for me:
I sit in Straddle for 10-20 min while I read everyone's logs on the forum, and I kneel in Hip Flexor while I brush my teeth (and at the end of my workouts) for an accumulated time of about 14-18 min.
(Note: These are active Stretches. I push the top of my foot into the ground in the Hip Flexor stretch, and I push my heels away from me while I'm in Straddle)

Best of luck!

Hi @Nacho ,

Pavel has you do cat cow in Super Joints.
View attachment 10223
Dr. Stuart McGill recommends them too.
Here is an excerpt from a summary of his position on flexion:
View attachment 10224
Full article:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1xTJoHbkwrq2EUfmFi_00x

I've personally found that I don't need to stretch my low back if I fully stretch my hips. YMMV

For what it's worth, these are the two Stretches I do everyday that make the biggest difference for me:
I sit in Straddle for 10-20 min while I read everyone's logs on the forum, and I kneel in Hip Flexor while I brush my teeth (and at the end of my workouts) for an accumulated time of about 14-18 min.
(Note: These are active Stretches. I push the top of my foot into the ground in the Hip Flexor stretch, and I push my heels away from me while I'm in Straddle)

Best of luck!

Thanks for very thorough answer! The cat/camel makes sence. And what I like about it is that its an active movement rounding the back. I realize that it sort of wakes up the abs a bit. I do OS rocking every day and so I have in added some repetitions of cat/camel, since Im already on all fours so its easy to make build a habit.

I do a lot of hip mobility work (e.g. pigeon pose) and thoracic mobility work (e.g. BB front squat, windmills, wheel pose). The combination seems to reduce lower back stiffness.

That being said, I do sun salutations with a forward fold every morning. They haven't hurt my KB or BB lifts...*but*......there is almost 12 hours of time between when I do those and when I do weight training.

Robin McKenzie's, "Treat Your Own Back" has a good, simple explanation, which I'll paraphrase from memory: Your lower back loosens when you exercise, predisposing it to overstretching. The example he gives is someone who plays football for a few hours, then slouches on the sofa for a few hours afterwards, and when he gets up, his puts his back out. McKenzie explains that it's the combination of a warm, easier-to-stretch lumbar, plus poor posture that causes the problem.

-S-

Robin McKenzie's, "Treat Your Own Back" has a good, simple explanation, which I'll paraphrase from memory: Your lower back loosens when you exercise, predisposing it to overstretching. The example he gives is someone who plays football for a few hours, then slouches on the sofa for a few hours afterwards, and when he gets up, his puts his back out. McKenzie explains that it's the combination of a warm, easier-to-stretch lumbar, plus poor posture that causes the problem.

-S-

If I recall, the "danger window" for slouching / hunching is about 30 min after hard exercise.

After a training session, I almost always get on the ground for 10 minutes and do the cobra yoga position (the closest I come to doing yoga). It is great for my back. Also a great time to catch up on the new Strongfirst forum comments!

Pavel mentions in many books that you should avoid slouching and bending forward after training. But if done on a separate stretching session and not straight after training, is it ok to stretch by bending forward? Some things to consider or be aware of? I do it every now and then and it feels good but for some reason I hesitate doing it... I guess because it’s so often recommended to do the exact opposite.

I should be emphasized that, even in yoga, there is a right way and a wrong way to do a forward fold.

The right way should be from the hips and involves not just bending at the hips, but actively tilting the pelvis, stabilizing the lumbar spine, and pushing with the legs.

Getting most of the bend from the lumbar spine isn't good form in yoga, either.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom