all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed stretching

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@shon, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Please give us a bit of background - your injury history, if any, plus whatever else you feel is relevant, including what you've been doing to achieve your splits.

Everyone, I have a bit of this information from some private conversations with @shon but I'd like to invite others to participate so I'd like to start the dialogue from scratch.

Thanks very much.

-S-

@shon Beginning of the year I have started to practice side splits as shown here:

Had to stop because I over did it a bit I guess and hamstrings were sore from S&S practice. Need to restart again if I want to keep the splits as a goal. Front splits was the first goal, because as far as I remember are easier to achieve than side splits.

Looking forward getting more information on that topic @Steve Freides and @shon on how to achieve splits.

I would love to reach front splits too. It’s been quoted a few times in the forums, but I believe Pavel said a good strength/mobility goal for a guy is a double bodyweight deadlift and ability to do fromt splits both sides. I try to put good effort in mobility/flexibility but im not on a specific plan. I love having a plan and then being able to trust it and work it. Looking forward to contributions to this thread.

how should I train to achieve the full side split and front split?
@Steve Freides is right. A bit more information would help others frame a response to your question. But until then...
Super Joints, Relax Into Stretch, Flexible Steel. Get the books. Read them. Get practicing...
If you have the means to do so, get to a Flexible Steel course, or work with an instructor in person or on-line.

Caveat... I'll add my standard comment here. Why the splits? Is that an end goal, or is it in aid in reaching another goal?

@shon : Welcome to the forum :)
For flexibility, especially for the split, I would suggest "Super Joints" by Pavel and Flexible Steel by Jon Engum.

I’ve been trying to work on them, but until now didn’t achieve it yet. I’m still the same. I kept hearing others already achieving the full splits. Quite embarrassing to say is that I got nowhere. Don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Recently I would do the stretches with the roadkill split position. I would do forced-relaxation. I did get lower. My lowest I ever got was around 5-4 inches when I’m originally like around 8-9inches or maybe more than that. It did say that to hold the last position for as long as you can. Yeah, I did that. But then the next day, everything would go back to its original state. It happens every time when I start again 2 days later. It’s always that I must do tactical frog exercise to get myself lower. But how come my hips and legs just won’t remember its new length? I did hold the tension for as long as I can on the deepest stretch. I heard that if you’re able to the side split, you’ll be able to do the front split. Is that true? Cause my left hip flexor is harder than my right. Even my side split position can get lower than my front split position. (I mean for the left hip flexor.) I also try working on my hip flexors also, but seems like I progress a little bit, but then go back to normal the following day. Especially for my left, also work on my hamstring too. But didn’t feel like I gotten anywhere. It became to a point some people say that I’ve been working on splits for so long, and it’s been few years but gotten nowhere. Whereas I hear other people out there get it in a few months. this past month i stopped, cause i don't feel like i'm getting any lower. What am i doing wrong? How should my program be? How should I train and make progress? What’s the best way?

@shon, may I suggest a "regression?" Could you do a Cossack stretch/squat, and post a video? One for each side, please. That will help us have something to look at.

-S-

@shon , I hear you mate. I have the same problem, I work hard achieve a little more every couple of sessions. But to regain my new flexibility I need to go through my whole routine again. I can progress in my actual designated stretching routine, but wake up everyday as inflexible as always & need to fully warm up & stretch to get any of my hard earned flexibility back.
Edit: I have & follow super joints, R.I.S, fast & loose, & flexible steel. They definitely work as I’ve achieved more flexibility during my sessions than any other methods & do move & feel better but can’t maintain said flexibility at start of each new day without going through full routine, everything is just as tight cold as it always was.

Last edited:
@shon, video cannot be uploaded directly here. Please post to YouTube or a similar service then post a link here.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom