all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Stretching?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
Has Pavel T. ever designed a stretching program that produces maximum results for minimum time--sort of a minimal effective dose for whole-body stretching? Thanks.

Last edited:
The way I see it, from Pavels writings, the warm-up and stretching in the S&S is the closest to a short and effective training on the subject. Everything else is much bigger in scale, more specific and much more time consuming.

I would love to be proven wrong, as I've been looking for the most bang for the buck mobility and stretching program for a long time, and apart from the S&S drills, I'm still looking.

Hello,

Has Pavel T. ever designed a stretching program that produces maximum results for minimum time--sort of a minimal effective dose for whole-body stretching?
> Beyond Stretching: Russian Flexibility Breakthroughs
> Relax into Stretch: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension
> Super Joints: Russian Longevity Secrets for Pain-Free Movement, Maximum Mobility & Flexible Strength

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

> Beyond Stretching: Russian Flexibility Breakthroughs
> Relax into Stretch: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension
> Super Joints: Russian Longevity Secrets for Pain-Free Movement, Maximum Mobility & Flexible Strength

Kind regards,

Pet'

Where in those books is "a stretching program that produces maximum results for minimum time"? I'm pretty sure Smile-n-Nod was aware of the books themselves.

Hello,

@Antti
Basically, after reading the books, I built my minimum effective dose : a lateral split, a front split, a back bridge, a butterfly (with head touching the toes), a twist hold, a deep squat. These moves are "basics" in terms of flexibility.

Then, it is possible to add what you (meaning everybody) need, in function of goals and / or weak points : animal walks, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

If you follow RIS and SJ to the letter it is time consuming for sure, but it delivers results without a doubt. I sort of do what @pet' does and select a handful of each to make my own programme minimum. This varies according to my needs at any given time.

I do understand, and agree, that the books are good and full of great points. However, I have not found a "Program Minimum" from any of the books. The books are more like an encyclopedia of possible movements and ways to do them. There isn't a program designed to give the best bang for your buck if you are in any way time constrained. And that, I believe, is what the original poster is looking for.

Hello,

Stretching is something complex. I pick my basics moves:
lateral split, a front split, a back bridge, a butterfly (with head touching the toes), a twist hold, a deep squat. I recently added arm bar.
These are flexibility moves. I do not need more.

Then, I do mobility (crawling, etc...). Related to mobility, the more you add moves, the better.

Finally, I go for special exercises if I feel I need it, either mobility or flexibility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Beyond Stretching is old and not needed. Read Relax Into Stretch, Super Joints, and Flexible Steel by Jon Engum.

-S-

A minimal dose? Avoid maximal levels of sitting. Difficult if it is your job, of course. Rather than sitting on your coach in the evening, or when you do, if you do, is to sit on the floor in varied comfortable/uncomfortable positions. Hang out in some positions, gently move/pry in others, sort of thing, squat/cross legged/straddle. Some S&S stretches.
Nothing formal, just not sitting on arse. Adds up. And of course devote yourself to some stretching in a more structured format if you need to or want to. Avoidance of the negative stuff is very minimal!!

+1 to @Smile-n-Nod's original post and @Antti's comments. I've read super joints and relax into stretch and even though those are great books with ideas not heard so often, they don't include a "program minimum" or a "S&S stretching equivalent", meaning a stretching routine of about 40 min to be done about 4 times a week, and improve flexibility and moving mechanics in a general manner.

@pet' routine seems like a basic minimal dose, but all those moves are way too advanced for me. Pet, could you please share how much time, reps and sets for each exercise, how many times a week?

Hello,

@Oscar
Pet, could you please share how much time, reps and sets for each exercise, how many times a week?
I dedicate 20 to 25 minutes to stretch, on an everyday basis.

For the moves I mentioned we can consider statics (flexibility) and dynamics (mobility)
> Statics (lateral split, a front split, a back bridge, a butterfly (with head touching the toes), a twist hold) : 5 times, 30s. I get down as much as I can each time.
> Dynamics : I simply repeat all my moves (crawling, etc...) 4 to 5 times on each side.

What one has to keep in mind is that stretching is highly adjustable. You can focus on a specific joint / movement if you feel you need it. For instance, I pay a special attention to lower back if I spent all day long walking in a museum (I have not this issue if I ruck for example).

Note:
I am introducing other moves, so I now take a bit longer

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Here is an interesting video with some stretching moves which can become a stretching routine:

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Smile-n-Nod, IMHO, what you should do with your 10 minutes of stretching is highly personal, e.g., I don't need to work much on splits, hamstrings, and hips, so I don't, but I need to work on shoulders and t-spine, so I do. Many people would be quite the opposite.

-S-

I agree that it's too hard to have a program minimum for stretching as everyone is flexible/inflexible in different areas. But the closest I've found is a great routine from flexible steel book called "escape your fighters stance". I think this routine plus adding a more specific stretch or two for a troublesome area would be a sufficient pro min.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom