all posts post new thread

Old Forum Strong athletes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PeterLuffman

Level 5 Valued Member
I am seeking examples of strong athletes.

Such as Linford Christie the sprinter who could squat 300kg.

Do you guys have any examples?

I am particularly interested in cyclist's, runners and swimmers.

Thanks

I have never believed these types of training claims since I heard someone claim that Tiger Woods could bench-press 400 pounds, which I'm 100% sure is nonsense. Some such claims may be more documented and credible than others.

I think you'd see more credible numbers in a more obscure, less hype-driven sport like track. I also agree that a 660 SQ for a sprinter is plausible.

Pete, look up coach Barry Ross - he has his athletes deadlift and he works with world-class runners.

-S-

Olympic cyclist Robert Foerstemann squatting 260 kg x 2: http://youtu.be/0oV_yDdZYXA

Sprinter Harry Aikines-Aryeetey power cleans 170 kg: http://youtu.be/L9TG3hpUkA8

Based on your original inquiry, I recommend looking into the strength & conditioning training of top long track speed skaters and sprinters/middle distance runners. Both groups of individuals tend to be very strong; there's even a fair bit of crossover between top sprinters and top lifters. Some leads (maybe examples) of some folks worth learning about:

Long track skater Eric Heiden's strength endurance training is still famous

Decathlete Bryan Clay reportedly squats ~600

Slender sprinter Tim Montgomery reportedly power cleaned ~300 for low rep sets

IPF 83 kg deadlift record-holder Tom Martin started off as top sprinter before switching to powerlifting (~10.4 100m dash, deadlift 345 @ 83 at IPF world championships)

77 kg Olympic weightlifting gold medalist Lu Xiaojun was a top sprinter before switching to weightlifting (~20.6 200m dash, snatch 175/c&j 204 @ 77 in the last Olympics)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom