all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong Endurance and Strong First Combat course

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

knockdownfighter1

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some information. I am knockdown karate fighter (The likes of Kyokushin, Enshin, Ashihara, Shidokan etc) and I'm looking for some information about the strong endurance/strong first combat course. Will these be released in a book/ebook? I'm interested in using the programming for some of my tournaments coming up.

I've ordered the S&S book to have a read through but was wondering whether it would be specific enough for my sport. Sorry if these are noob questions.

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some information. I am knockdown karate fighter (The likes of Kyokushin, Enshin, Ashihara, Shidokan etc) and I'm looking for some information about the strong endurance/strong first combat course. Will these be released in a book/ebook? I'm interested in using the programming for some of my tournaments coming up.

I've ordered the S&S book to have a read through but was wondering whether it would be specific enough for my sport. Sorry if these are noob questions.
I'm a big fan of S&S since I started using it a little over a year ago. I started practicing it after reading Kettlebell Simple and Sinister. Based upon my experience it is a great general strength and conditioning routine. Again, based upon my personal experience, I believe doing explosive swings would be great many athletes who want to develop explosive strength.

This is just my opinion but you may find it difficult to get information on the Strong Endurance course, at least more than you can find on the advertisement. People are paying big money to go to that course. I plan to be at the course in Chicago this May. I'm using vacation time from work to fly there the day before the course starts and paying hundreds of dollars for a hotel in addition to the cost of the course. I won't be giving away the information I paid so much to get. I will guard it closely and add it to the knowledge I have gained from reading the free material on this site and from my experience with practicing Simple and Sinister for more than a year.

@knockdownfighter1 you might want to read Trembling Shock by Jon Engum. He is a TKD grandmaster and competed back in the day that TKD sparring was a lot more full contact than it is right now.

A lot of it is general strength and conditioning training (as a lot of the sport specific stuff should come from MA practice). But there is a lot of sport specific stuff in there as well.

Gret book

well Pavel Macek's client has enough strength and condition from SnS
S&C Training for MMA With Simple & Sinister | StrongFirst

S&S is our fighters' foundational program. Just one correction - student and friend, not client.

@knockdownfighter1 you might want to read Trembling Shock by Jon Engum. He is a TKD grandmaster and competed back in the day that TKD sparring was a lot more full contact than it is right now.

A lot of it is general strength and conditioning training (as a lot of the sport specific stuff should come from MA practice). But there is a lot of sport specific stuff in there as well.

Gret book

+1 to Trembling Shock.

I am assuming there will be no ebook/book regarding Strong Endurance then....? I imagine that those who paid big money for the course would not be happy if others could access the material for far cheaper. Mind you, the Original Strength folk have an excellent book and also sell very expensive day courses that provide 'secret material' not found in the book, so perhaps Strongfirst will do the same? Time will tell.

The information is out there. Craig marker has put up a couple of great articles on anti glycolysis training on the blog on this site.

I’m sure kettlebelephant said above, that a book that shares some of the ideas and principles along with a simple and effective plan should be coming. The value of the courses is as much in getting to spend 12-20 hours learning from someone who has read the research and honed their craft in order to get the best understanding possible.

In any case, check out Craig’s articles as a great start.

Sounds good- how does one find the articles? I'm not sure what to search for..
@KIWI5, you can do a good search of our web site (or any other using this technique) - search for

<search_expression> site:<site_name>

e.g., go to Google and put this into the search box:

glycolysis site:strongfirst.com

If you want to only search our forum on such things, just do this:

glycolysis site:strongfirst.com/community

-S-

Hi everyone!

I'm a judo guy for 29 years and I've done MMA, BJJ, Karate and a bunch of other things in the past. I used to compete a lot. Nowadays I just train hard because I like the excitement of fighting and the satisfaction of being an amateur athlete.

S&S is ideal. I am ridiculously stronger than I was before starting S&S, like completely ridiculously stronger, and I'm a lot stronger than people my own size in judo now whereas before S&S I was just on par with them or even weaker.

You may also look at the "Enter the Kettlebell" book for some ideas for supplementary moves to add to your training. It gets into the nuances for the snatch and the clean and press, both of which are useful for fighters too. The clean and jerk moves is touted as good for Karate - there are videos of this on this site somewhere.

Personally, I find the two major moves of S&S ideal because they target a variety of directions, just like in fighting we have to put and resist pressure in a chaotic setting. The 1 handed swing targets anti-twist muscles through the body, and the TGU multi-directional resistance.

S&S is very cleverly designed to allow you to make it fit with no matter what other sport you are doing be it martial arts or other kinds of weight lifting! There are lots of Karate guys in the S&S book who give the programme their blessing.

The TGU move to me is a kind of kettlebell kata.

Welcome Knockdown

I'm Al, been doing Okinawan karate for 33 years.
You are on the (IMHO) best site in the world for learning practical strength & endurance for a fighter.
Read Pavel Macek's articles on how he uses Simple & Sinister for his fighters.

(If I were You) I would start with S&S and once I made Simple standard, then I would look into strong endurance programming.
I spent the whole 1990's working out in a commercial gym, to improve my karate. For all the time and effort I spent & wasted there, I never really improved my karate at all. I got a lot stronger! But the carry over was minimal, at best. Now the carry over from S&S is mind boggling, compared to the time and effort put into it.

Good luck, Knockdownfighter1

Al

Welcome Knockdown

I'm Al, been doing Okinawan karate for 33 years.
You are on the (IMHO) best site in the world for learning practical strength & endurance for a fighter.
Read Pavel Macek's articles on how he uses Simple & Sinister for his fighters.

(If I were You) I would start with S&S and once I made Simple standard, then I would look into strong endurance programming.
I spent the whole 1990's working out in a commercial gym, to improve my karate. For all the time and effort I spent & wasted there, I never really improved my karate at all. I got a lot stronger! But the carry over was minimal, at best. Now the carry over from S&S is mind boggling, compared to the time and effort put into it.

Good luck, Knockdownfighter1

Al
Did you find your strength in the 90s of limited value perhaps because it was all in isolation whereas S&S is linked strength - linked throughout the entire body?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom