all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong Endurance Info?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
No pressure Al (lol!) but another customer here! And as a Canadian who also has experienced high book prices as pointed out (and as a consequence my copy of S&S is on Kindle) I too would appreciate an E book format :)

+1 for me as well, Al. I would buy it as soon as it were available. My interest for this subject has been peaked for a deeper understanding ever since I read about it on the SF blog about a year ago. There is a lot of great forum info on it, but a book would be far better and obviously provide more clarity. Thank you for your consideration!

Did you know that the actor Tom Hanks is a distant relative of president Abraham Lincoln. Tom Hank is Abe's 3rd cousin 4 times removed. They are related through Nancy Hank Lincoln, Abe Lincoln's mom.

Oh yeah, +1 for the book.

@aciampa For those who may want a physical book, Amazon publishing makes a lot of sense. It's print on demand. I published a book earlier this year and printing cost is ridiculously small. For ebooks, they take 30percent of sales cost, so direct sales may be more profitable for you. However, books in the Kindle app are auto formatted between devices, so that is an advantage. Best of both worlds: you can sell a PDF yourself and make the book also available on Amazon with a surcharge, so that net profit per book stays constant, and buyers can choose. Amazon publishing is also extremely easy to do.

@aciampa For those who may want a physical book, Amazon publishing makes a lot of sense. It's print on demand. I published a book earlier this year and printing cost is ridiculously small. For ebooks, they take 30percent of sales cost, so direct sales may be more profitable for you. However, books in the Kindle app are auto formatted between devices, so that is an advantage. Best of both worlds: you can sell a PDF yourself and make the book also available on Amazon with a surcharge, so that net profit per book stays constant, and buyers can choose. Amazon publishing is also extremely easy to do.

This actually makes a lot of sense, Manuel... thanks!

I would like a consumer level book on the subject as well. I have found my quality of life with S&S shot up drastically when I stopped trying to squeeze in sets and focused on a minute or two of active recovery for a few minutes. Like I noticed that it felt much less stressful or exhausting and its getting me thinking that there is really something to this.

A $20 book like S&S and I will order it right now.

Based on my experience as an educator who writes materials and does workshops, when you do workshops, you get valuable practice teaching and feedback which helps you write a better book. Teaching students helps you to identify the sticking points that keep appearing to address in the books. Just like startups have a beta version of a site where they can gather feedback. It seems counter-intuitive, but it is easier to make a better book from a workshop than a better workshop from a book. After publication, the book and workshop editions have a synergy where one improves the other. Many more people will read a book than attend a workshop, so it is important to reduce errors in a mass publication book. At least that is my experience.

I completely understand that the seminars for the professional (or educated non-professional) are crucial for development of the body of work. I just hope to see all of the refinement make it towards a book for the consumer. Look at S&S, its the third generation of a system that likely took 15 years and thousands of participants to boil it down to what we have now.

I get that but it is frustrating that this information hasn't been widely disseminated. The same seems to be happening with PlanStrong. I hope that Strongfirst isn't moving towards a business model based on keeping the good stuff for seminar attendees only.

I hope that Strongfirst isn't moving towards a business model based on keeping the good stuff for seminar attendees only.
There's good stuff and there's good stuff. We both publish training and educational materials _and_ we train instructors. The latter group necessarily gets things to a much greater depth, and the instructor manuals are for instructor course attendees only. As to Plan Strong and Strong Endurance, I couldn't say.

Just my opinion and not an official point of view of StrongFirst being expressed here.

-S-

I just watched the you tube video.

Is it me but is Pavel now advocating against high intensity training?
AKA the SSST from ETK

Or if you are going to work towards that goal to no longer go hard. He is now adviseding a new way to train

AKA the SSST from ETK
He just says not to train like that every time.
It's ok to do it sometimes for example during competition (-> the example of the needed adrenaline for the 3rd attempt deadlift at a competition) and of course you will need to imitate the conditions you will face during competition, but most of your training should be easier on the system.

To further elaborate on this I'll use the cat example.
Why would you imitate the rare "4min hunt-to-kill followed by the fight with the hyenas"-situation in your training when your usual experience is the "16sec hunt-to-kill, drag up tree and be done with it"-situation?
Before he got old and injured the second leopard hunted as easily as the first one and obviously, despite being old and injured, he was still able to make that kill, even though he never had to face a situation like this before and therefore never "trained" for it.
This shows that his usual easy experience/"training" prepared him very well for that rare exception aswell.

Last edited:

AKA the SSST from ETK

Or if you are going to work towards that goal to no longer go hard. He is now adviseding a new way to train
+1 @Kettlebelephant

I took it as more against the "AMRAP ("as many reps as possible") every time" mentality common in many fitness approaches today. Or not "working out" as an end in itself; difference between training ("boring", leaving reps in the tank, leaving the session feeling stronger/more charged up than when you started) and testing (the infrequent AMRAP session to test new limits).

Right.

It that sense then you wouldn't need to tweak ETK as it already has medium & easy days?

Also if you used the dice roll method to set time you could get even more "easy"sessions due to chance I suppose.

Thanks for the clarification.

AKA the SSST from ETK

I think it is more about recovery. You can go hard until your speed and form starts breaking down but then rest until your heart rate comes down and then go again. You don't allow yourself to keep working in the burn stage to grind out slow, crappy reps like crossfit. You can allow yourself to get in much more overall quality work this way. Anyone who has done S&S knows that you can make a lot of progress with consistent work over time that does not have to be pushing PRs all the time with a lot less stress on your body.

The other finding seems to be that your body can only adapt so much, so trashing yourself more than a certain point does not really help more and may interfere with recovery, increase the chance of injury, and make maintaining a program consistently more difficult.

FYI you can self publish physical books with many services these days...for those of us who prefer paper. I have a library of books that I love looking through (even my uni advanced calculus and integration book came out last year) and a hard drive of PDFs that drive be absolutely bonkers.

FYI you can self publish physical books with many services these days...for those of us who prefer paper. I have a library of books that I love looking through (even my uni advanced calculus and integration book came out last year) and a hard drive of PDFs that drive be absolutely bonkers.

Thanks Martine!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom