all posts post new thread

Bodyweight strong fingers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shon

Level 1 Valued Member
How would someone progress on finger pushups? Like from finger pushup to one arm finger pushup and lastly the two finger pushup.( other words, like Bruce Lee pushup). I tested myself, I could do 20 reps of finger pushup one the knees. For the finger pushup(full pushup, but one all ten fingers) I could do only 5. I may do a little bit more if I push myself harder.

How would someone progress on finger pushups?
One would progress with great care. I'm sure it's easy to overtrain these. The two approaches I might try:

GTG

Light-Medium-Heavy rotation, keeping the most difficult variation to only once a week.

-S-

How would someone progress on finger pushups? Like from finger pushup to one arm finger pushup and lastly the two finger pushup.( other words, like Bruce Lee pushup). I tested myself, I could do 20 reps of finger pushup one the knees. For the finger pushup(full pushup, but one all ten fingers) I could do only 5. I may do a little bit more if I push myself harder.

Convict conditioning 2 has a dynamite section on how to progress in fingertip pushups

You could also try GTG but you would want to be very careful, as Steve pointed out, so that you don't get sore fingers

One would progress with great care. I'm sure it's easy to overtrain these. The two approaches I might try:

GTG

Light-Medium-Heavy rotation, keeping the most difficult variation to only once a week.

-S-
I can attest to the fact that these are very easy to overtrain. Been there...
It's why I don't do them any more. There are alternatives I find safer and more effective

Why do you want to do them?
This one of the few exercises I would not try - not even to impress ;)

Ledge pull ups do amazing things for your grip. the premise is find a ledge that can't hook your fingers around. you'll only be supported by the flats of your fingers. if you can to 8 pull ups expect your max to be 4.

Solid door frame mouldings are the classic example of this. But they better be solid.

I'm a fan of fingertip pushups a complementary exercise to all the various grip/pull work one might do, but like others I don't attempt any sort of volume - I don't think fingertip pushups should be the goal. Having a killer grip is a lot more useful than having isometric endurance. For me, kettlebell work has improved my ability to do fingertip pushups, rather than the other way around.

I'd say work on pulling/hanging grip strength, and let fingertip pushups be a byproduct.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom