all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Strong First and motivation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan T

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I know this is going to sound like a bad attitude, but it seems crazy to me that I'll ever make the S&S goals. The 16k seem like such a challenge. Based on what feel like I'm reading in SF literature, the skill of strength is (to a point) correct patterning, learning total body linkage, and neural-adaptation. My goals are to to around 12-14% BF (accomplished by diet) with maximal power output (SF training).

It's funny, but even though I don't ever plan to become a trainer or strength coach, the idea of passing SF I&II standards appeal to me simply because I cannot stay motivated to exercise for its own sake. I have to have an event. I had a goal to get prepared for a the Tough Mudder in 2015, and consistently trained 5-6 days per week for 7 months. I had a mild, nagging injury afterwards, but regardless I trained no more until I started getting into S&S. I can feel my mental dedication wanting to slip, so I'm going to need to set up some new goals. Perhaps I should go ahead and sign up for a BattleFrog or Spartan Sprint for next year. There's also an American Ninja Warrior/Parkour gym close by; maybe I'll start getting involved with the hopes of competing at a local competition next year. All those types of challenges really appeal to me. At some point; I'd have to incorporate additional training modalities beyond S&S and kettlebell work, but it seems like the skill of strength lends itself to everything and I love kettlebells. So I think I would always want to have a solid base of training always rooted in StrongFirst principles and kettlebell training.

Cheers.

@Ryan T

5 years ago, when I started to prepare for my Level 1, I took a 16 kg bell and tried the snatch test. I was exhausted, and thought to myself - there is now way I can do 100 reps in 5 minutes with 24. Bud I did, and today can do it every single day.

1 year ago (with already few years of kettlebell training) I started SAS. It seemed to me crazy that I'll ever make the Sinister goal. But I did - I own Sinister in swings, I am approaching the Sinister in get-ups (right now, 40-44 kg). How long it will take? I don't know. I don't care.

“Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Passing SFG Cert is a worthy goal, but importantly, the way to SFG is a worthy road to go.

Pick up a SFG1 Cert, preferably 9-12 months ahead, sign up, learn form a SFG (personally, on a 1-day kettlebell course, online), practice, keep the goal the goal, and enjoy the road.

Pick up "purposeful primitive" by Marty Gallagher. Start powerlifting, put on a little mass and Simple will be just that. You can definitely get there with only kettlebells but seeing weight added to the bar each week is very motivational and will get you through this rut.

I know this is going to sound like a bad attitude, but it seems crazy to me that I'll ever make the S&S goals. The 16k seem like such a challenge.

Many things seem hard when the goal horizon is far away. For example, when I was 40 and a fat out of shape smoker, I never would have imagined running a 50 mile race, let alone a marathon. I started small, 1/4 mile running / 1/4 mile walking. It didn't take long before I could run a mile. And then a 5k, a 10k, a 1/2 marathon, etc. A few years later, I was running longer than a marathon on the weekend as "training runs" for a 50 miler.

It's all about breaking things down to help keep the path forward clear. I also am intrigued by potentially taking the SFG certification in addition to many other goals. One month ago, I found the 16KG challenging for 1HS and especially TGUs. Now I own the 16KG and am working on the 20KG and the 24KG. A month ago, I couldn't "see" hitting the Simple goal - but I made it my goal nonetheless. My immediate goal was to simply own the 16KG. My current immediate goal is to own the 20KG.

For me, it's all about setting the long term goal with one or more step goals along the way. I also totally agree with the advice to get coached by an SFG - it helped both my skill level and confidence. You got this.

Thanks for all the encouragement and responses!

I have an evaluation set up with an SFG I&II in a couple weeks so I think I'm headed in the right direction.

@Ryan T, there's nothing wrong with finding your motivation in specific goals and events.

As to other motivation, I don't wish this on you or anyone, but I got very close being in a wheelchair - I couldn't walk normally, I couldn't hobble very far, and it took me 2 months of bed rest and another year on top of that to be able to walk normally again. Those memories are my biggest motivation.

-S-

“Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thanks Pavel, "...the goal is the goal" is one of the mantras that keeps me from chasing shineys (drifing).

I am going to take one little side track from my goal of achieving Simple by beginning to train for the Spring TSC. It's not that large a deviation as S&S is still an important part of the pre-TSC program, but still a deviation. I had hoped to achieve Simple before training for the TSC, but my TGU's are lagging a bit.

@Ryan T I don't think I even saw a kettlebell before I had a double lung transplant last year. I started S&S as a way to gain strength and fell in love with my 'bells. Yes, my motivation ebbs at time, but the journey to the goal is so much more important than motivation. I visualized myself swinging 32 kgs, wasn't sure I'd ever do so, but could see it. Now 10 x 10 @ 32 kg's is now my routine and I'm 2-hand swinging 40 kg's. TGU's are slower, I've had an issue or two and am still healing from the procedure, but they are coming along.

I have this sitting in front of me pretty much all the time, another mantra:

RUS.jpg

My goals are to be competitive in the TSC, achieve Simple, then pass SFG-1. So far, the journey has been pretty awesome.

@jrosto : thanks for reviving this thread. I missed it the first time around. I find the existence of Strongfirst and the SF community to be very motivating. When I feel inertia (resistance to movement) I come here, read an article and discussion or two and my enthusiasm increases. When I was much younger I mistakenly thought I should be completely internally driven. Now I delight in the accomplishments of others and gladly take inspiration. Thanks to everyone. @jrosto : accomplishing S&S after a double lung transplant is truly awe inspiring. Thank you for posting your experience.

@Ryan T, there's nothing wrong with finding your motivation in specific goals and events.

As to other motivation, I don't wish this on you or anyone, but I got very close being in a wheelchair - I couldn't walk normally, I couldn't hobble very far, and it took me 2 months of bed rest and another year on top of that to be able to walk normally again. Those memories are my biggest motivation.

-S-

I have had simliar experience. Few years back when I was an active powerlifter, I broke pr´s after pr´s and let the weight determine my progress and not them lifting form. I remember one specific night I was doing heavy deadlifts and medium close grip bench. The deadlift weight was to heavy but I grinned through the sets and was about to do my bench. Did my regular setup with packing shoulders and arching, then from out of nowhere something broke in my back. I hurried home and just got in before the numbness spread in the lower back and legs with a pain I´ve never felt. I literarily collapsed on the sofa and could not move. I was scared to death! Did not know if I could walk again. There was I lying 185cm 95kg heavy powerlifter who identified himself with lifting heavy, now could not move.

The numbness was there for a good part of 40 min before is released but the pain was still there. From tat day, that point my motivation is to stay safe and strong without compromising my form.

Thank you for your story @Steve Freides

I understand the need for people to have both long term and short term goals. I set those for myself as well at times, but at the end of the day I don't consider my self a goal oriented person. I think I am more of a process oriented person. My clarity of purpose comes from full engagement in my lifestyle choices. I usually never have any motivation issues with getting up to train at 0330 every day, riding or running in the dark or rain or snow..
I'm probably not articulating any of this very well...

Don't know if dopamine is at the bottom of it or not.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom