all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sunday 15th April
Morning mobility routine, with leg swings.

Strength session (light)
( Press@(2x24kg) x 3, Front Squat@(2x24kg) x 3 ) x 5
I forgot to do them yesterday...

Monday 16th April
Morning mobility routine, with leg swings. They are feeling a lot better. Interestingly, the half-marathon made my legs a bit stiff, but it was noticeable only when doing leg swings.

Strength session
Deadlift: 110kg x 4, 5, 120kg x 3
I forgot chalk, so I had to pay extra attention to grip and wedging. Good start of the week, with all 12 lifts done with double overhand.

Assistance: KB floor press @28kg, 3+3, 3+3, 3+3

Hanging leg raise: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
Keeping quality. I keep the same total reps, but in more sets. I will increase when they will really look good, which is not yet the case (bending arm, slightly bend legs, etc).

Mobility
Front split work (hip flexor stretch, hamstring stretch alla Flexible steel, front split progression - far from the floor, need to go back there slowly).
Windmill: 3+3@16kg
Increased mobility in windmills. I touched the floor.

Swing session
Double swings: (2 x 24kg) x 10 x 10
Done in approximately 14min30. Good tempo.

Last edited:
Tuesday 17th April
Morning mobility routine, leg swings.

Strength session A, medium day
(Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 1, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 2) x 4
Deload week. The change compared to the first week is that there are no rest between presses and squats.

Strength session B
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 130kg x 3, 140kg x 2 (1 DOH), 150kg x 1, 120kg x 4
Good session, again centred on grip and wedge. All were done double over hand except the 2nd rep at 140kg, and the one at 150kg.
Asssitance
Tall kneeling press@20kg, 3+3, 3+3, 3+3
The bench press was not free, so I improvised some other easy presses.
Windmill@20kg, 3+3

Wednesday 18th April

Snatch session
Snatches, EMOM@28kg: 4+4, 4+4, 0, 4+4, 4+4
I expected them to be easier, but the lack of regular heavy swings is showing.
First set was the worst technically. I focus on keeping the bell close to my body, particularly on the way up. It was my issue at the snatch test in February, and it puts at a risk of not locking out properly. For the same reason, I take my time at the lockout position (about 1 sec).

Mobility
Side split work: leg spread alternated with frog sequence.

Thursday 19th April

Strength session A
Deadlift: 110kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4 (1 DOH, 3 alt), 140kg x 1 (alt), 120kg x 4, 130kg x 2, 140kg x 1 (alt)
Despite the snatches yesterday, my grip was ok today. All lifts were with a double overhand grip except 3@130kg, and both lifts @140kg, where I switched to alternate. My focus has not changed: grip and wedge. There is so much to improve that I can stay for a long time with this small focus!

Hanging leg raise: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Strength session B (heavy)
( Press + Front squat @(2x24kg) x 3) x 5
Deload week. Except for the squats that immediately follow the presses, this week heavy day is the same as last week light day. :)

Friday 20th April

Strength session
Deadlift: 110kg x 5, 120kg x 3, 4, 5 (last 3 alternate grip), 130kg x 2 (DOH), 4 (1 alt), 120kg x 3 (2 DOH, 1 alt)
Getting better with the double overhand. I stay on the safe side and switched to alternate as soon as I feel the double overhand is not solid enough. Progressing.

Assistance
Bench not available, so I found a substitute.
KB floor press: 28kg x (3+3, 3+3, 3+3)
It felt much more solid than last time. Very pleased. I wonder how it will translate to my bench press.

Mobility
Cossack squat@28kg. 3 sets. Prying, touching the floor with bend leg cheek, curling the bell (free style cossack, by feeling).
Side split work: light Z-press (16kg for sets of 3), increasing leg spread, combined with Flexible steel frog sequence.

Last edited:
Saturday 21st April

Strength session (light)
( Press + Front squat @(2x24kg) x 1) x 5

Sunny day, sunny weekend. Let's go outside!

Sunday 22nd April
A few swings and deadlifts to add to the video collection. WIP.

Monday 23rd April

Strength session A
Deadlift: 110kg x 3, 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4 and a half (3 and a half DOH), 140kg x 1, 150kg x 1
Grip, wedge. 3 reps double overhand at 130kg. I aborted the 4th DOH rep around the knees, as I felt my grip was failing and I would not be able to lockout properly. I put the bar down (under control while I still had it), switched to alternate and proceeded to the 4th rep. Consequently, both lifts at 140 and 150kg were with alternate grip.
Assistance
Light bench press: 60kg x 5, 5
Hanging leg raise: 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Strength session B (medium)
(Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 1, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 2, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 3, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 4) x 3
Longer session, with 3 ladders of 4 rungs. Pushing both volume and intensity today.

Tuesday 24th April

At the very beginning of my swing session (2x24kg), I felt a contracture in my right hamstring. I stopped immediately, just to be sure. It went away fast, so all good. Maybe am I learning: I favoured rest to possible injury!
The issue was probably mainly tiredness and lack of water, I may never know.

Wednesday 25th April
Strength session (heavy)
(Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 4) x 5
I had low energy, but forced myself to do the program as written. I managed the 20 good quality reps within 25 min.
Some people have troubles to squat, but press easily. For me, it is the opposite. Squats with 2 24s are easy, even when done immediately after the presses (no bell down), and very low (ATG).
I am a bit impatient to come back to barbell presses and see if there is a good carry-over.
I paid extra attention to the clean before each set (relative to my leg issue of yesterday), the hinge pattern felt good.
Nevertheless, I am postponing my snatch session to tomorrow, to be on the safe side.

Thursday 26th April
Mobility routine, leg swings.

Snatch session
KB Snatch, EMOM: 28kg x (5+5); (5+5), 0, (5+5); (5+5)
Medium hard. Harder than when I did it before the SFG. I am certainly lacking the high volume of heavy swings I used to do, both in term of conditioning and grip strength on the way down. I finish my experiment of double KB work and will resume the heavy 1H-swings.
I also tend not to tame the arc enough. Some work to do.

Addendum
Overload practice
I have finished my previous month of tension practice with one-leg presses a while ago already. As I won't be able to do anything this weekend, I decided to do overload today.
KB Jerk: 24kg x (2+2), 28kg x (2+2), 32kg x (2+2)
Technique not perfect yet. It was actually better with the heavier bell than the lightest. :)
Active negative on the way down.

Last edited:
Friday 27th April

Strength A
Deadlift: 110kg x 4, 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4, 150kg x 1, 120kg x 5
All double overhand, except 3 reps at 130kg and the one at 150kg. Better feeling on the heaviest deadlift, 150kg, today than on Monday. The lift was medium-slow, but everything seemed in good position and it did not feel hard.

Assistance
Light Bench press: 60kg x 5, 5
Hanging leg raise: 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Strength B
(Press + Front squat, (2x24k) x 2) x 5

Last edited:
Monday 30th April

Strength A
Deadlift: 110kg x 5, 120kg x 5
Light session. I played on the first set with touch and go deadlifts. All double overhand, of course.

Assistance
Bench press busy, so:
KB floor press: 28kg x (4+4), (4+4), (4+4)
There are as many type of KB floor presses as people doing them. I do mine lying down completely, leg extended, and the free arm NOT pressing on the floor, so a bit harder than the floor press from a getup. Glutes are firing, you don't even have to go through the check-list!

Mobility
Wind mill@20kg, 3+3

Strength B (medium)
(Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 1, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 2, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 3, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 4, Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 5) x 2
Two ladders of 5 rungs. The last two sets (4 and 5 reps) of the second ladder were a bit hard. Still quality reps, though, so all good. Last week of this double press/front squat trial. I am eager to come back to barbell press and see the carry-over...

Tuesday 1st May
Out with family and friends.
Still had opportunity to make a one hour lesson with a new student.
All training postponed by one day.

Wednesday 2nd May

Strength session A
Deadlift : 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4, 140kg x 2, 150kg x 1, 130kg x 2
Only one rep double overhand. I did not feel my grip very strong today and did not want to negatively impact the lockout. So all alternate.
Good wedging, solid reps. Happy.

Assistance
Bench press busy, so:
Getup: 28kg, 32kg, 28kg
28 kg is easy, 32kg feels a bit heavy. Stable and good, but definitely not easy. I need to revisit heavy getups a bit more often.
Hanging leg raise: 5, 5, 5
Focus: keeping straight elbows. I still bend slightly the legs, it will improve. HLR are already a lot better than they used to be a few weeks ago.

Thursday 3rd May

Strength session (heavy)
(Press+Front squat@(2x24kg) x 5) x 5
No rest after the presses, I rack the fifth rep, and start the squats. Plenty of rest between sets (5 min+). One more light session and I go back to barbell presses.
After the somewhat hard session on Monday, I was a bit anxious with the sets of 5 presses, but it all went very well.

Nevertheless, after this, I am postponing my snatch session to tomorrow. Not ideal again, but I need to stay on the safe side. Hopefully next week, swings and snatches will come back to a more normal and regular programming.

Friday 4th May

Strength session
Deadlift: 110kg x 7, 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4 (3DOH, 1 alt), 140kg x 1 (alt), 110kg x 5
Grip starting not to feel that strong at the end of the third rep at 130kg, so I change to alternate for the subsequent heavier lifts. All in all, it felt very solid and relatively easy.
Assistance
Light Bench press: 60kg x 5, 5

Later:
Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM: 28kg x (4+4), (4+4), 0, (4+4), (4+4)
I filmed it. Need to improve at taming the arc. Otherwise, not hard this time.

Saturday 5th May

Strength A
Deadlift: 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4 (3 DOH), 120kg x 3, 130kg x 4

Then FMS2 workshop led by Master SFG Peter Lakatos. Lot of info, a great finish on breathing. We continue tomorrow.

Back home, early evening.
Strength B (light)
(Press + Front squat, (2x24kg) x 3) x 3
A bit tired, just 3 sets to keep quality.

Sunday 6th May

During lunch break, Flexible program minimum with 20kg, and cossack squat with 28.

End of FMS2. Very interesting to see how all these systems based on principles complement each other. I added a whole bunch of useful knowledge to my toolbox. Peter Lakatos is an excellent teacher.

Monday 7th May
Morning mobility routine, leg swings (stiff).

Strength session
Leg swings (less stiff).
Deadlift: 110kg x 5, 120kg x 3, 4 (2 DOH)
Last 2 deadlifts with an alternate grip. I forgot my chalk...
New 4-weeks cycle for the deadlift. A little bit less intensity, a little bit more volume.

Barbell press: 40kg x 6, 45kg x 3, 4
Easy start for the barbell press. I need to get the groove again. More serious stuff sarts on Wednesday, when I load the bar at 50kg. Will 6 weeks of double kettlebell work translates well? We will see...

Assistance
KB Getup@28kg, with 5 sec pauses at each step.
Challenging but doable. According to Master SFG Peter Lakatos, as I can do this with a 28kg, I would be allowed to start training with the 32 (good, I already did...).
It is a pretty simple and smart way to check if you "own" the weight, indeed. I will definitely wait to be able to do the same with 32 before even thinking of a getup with a 36.

Swing session
Back to good old fashion 1H-swings. Starting light, most sets at 28kg.
1H swing, EMOM: 28kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10

Tuesday 8th May
Mostly restorative. Morning mobility routine, leg swings, easy pistols (hand holding foot), unloaded cossacks.

Wednesday 9th May
Morning mobility routine.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 140kg x 2 (all DOH), 150kg x 1 (alt)
Quite easy. I did a double double overhand double bodyweight, with a second pause at the top (ensuring full hip extension), and it was not hard. I went safe for 150kg and switched to alternate grip. Went up very easily.

Barbell press: 45kg x 3, 4, 50kg x 2, 45kg x 4, 50kg x 2
Initial clean with no knee bend. All lifts were easy.

Assistance
KB floor press: 28kg x (5+5)

Mobility
Windmill@20kg: 3+3
Flexible steel minimum@20kg

Much later,
Snatch session
KB snatch, EMOM, 28kg: 5+5, 5+5, 0, 5+5, 5+5
Not a walk in the park, but not hard either. I feel the lack of heavy swings: my grip is a big limiting factor, and I am not catching the bell in the hook of the fingers. Time to swing real kettlebells often again.

Friday 11th May

Strength session
BB press: 45kg x 3, 4, 5, 50kg x 2, 45kg x 3, 4, 3
Every set starts by power cleaning the bar, with no knee bend, as in a kb clean. 50kg felt light. So far, double kb work seems to have been beneficial (same, but different).
Deadlift: 110kg x 3, 120kg x 4, 5 (only 3 DOH), 4 (1 DOH), 3 (alt)
Easy, but grip starting to be not as strong as needed to have a good lockout, with hips fully extended, so I went to alternate grip.

Assistance
Light bench press: 65kg x 3, 3, 3
Keeping it light, just slightly heavier than last time. Technical work. Arch was better this time.
Except for the very last rep, they were good. I'll do them a bit more to lay a good technical foundation, and switch to another evil abs exercise (the wheel...).

Mobility
Flexible steel program minimum @20kg.

Much later,
Swing session
1H swing, EMOM: 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10, 28kg x 10, 10, 32kg x 10, 10

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom